Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Reduced .50 cal hunting load for kids

Boolit Mold

Reduced .50 cal hunting load for kids

Can anyone advise me on a good reduced load for small children to deer hunt with out to 50 or 60 yds. in .50 cal percussion rifles ?
    Thanks, Southern Man

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure how low you can go and still insure a good clean kill. Try 50gr with a roundball and go down some if you have to but I wouldn't want much less than that. It would probably be best to get a smaller caliber like 40 or 45 if legal there.
    Aim small, miss small!

What rifle is being used? Depending on weight a 50gr load would be pretty mild, If your using a heavier rifle even 60 gr is mild with patched round ball.
    Member of...
    NMLRA
    NRA

Boolit Master
    I have used 50 gr of FFFG and a round ball for many years as a small game load as well as for most target work at Rendezvous. It shoots well and my 11 year old daughter could handle the recoil with no problem. It would be adequate for deer out to around 50 yards with a lung shot.

Boolit Bub
    some patent breeches will not work well with low loads so you will have to do some experimenting with your rifle. In my T/C Hawken flintlock I have got as low as 35 grns of 3F but I wuld not consider that a hunting load for deer.

I think that the suggestions of using 3F are right and considering a smaller caliber is also a good idea.

If you do go with a low load in your .50 I suggest that you try some penetration tests to insure that it will penetrate a deer. Old Phone books soaked in water will give you a guideline for penetration.

Richard

Kids also react differently to recoil at first. 2F being a slow push, while 3F can be like a quick slap, Think 9mm vs 45. Both get you there but some like slow push and others like the quick slap.

Testing is in order
    Member of...
    NMLRA
    NRA

Boolit Master

I have hunted with a 60 grain of ffg load and patched round ball in my 50 flint for more than 20 years . I have lose count of how many deer I have taken. One required another shot. I have recovered one ball, it was flatened to close to 60 cal. My son killed his first deer with a 50 I built for him with his small game powder measure, 30 grains. It was a one shot kill at about 40 yards, the ball passed through the rib cage both sides. I wouldent recomend it for a deer load, but shot placement is more important than power leval.

I've fired 50 grain loads of Pyrodex RS with very minimal recoil in my Lyman Trade Rifle. My son first shot this load when he was 10 and was fine with it.

Boolit Master
    My daughter started shooting my MLs at age 10. She is small and slight but handled the gun well. For hunting she used 50 gr of GOEX F with a ticking patched .490 roundball. When she was a little older I got a used TC Firehawk SS/composite w/209 ignition for her, it's lighter and easier for her to handle than my Cabellas traditional style. She was a little bigger and eventually steped up to 70 gr. FF Swiss behind a 223 Aerotip belted bullet. Both of those loads took deer at up to 65 yds. She is 22 now but still only weighs less than 100#. Those loads are also accurate and she is a good shot. 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys,
    These loads will give me plenty of info to start trying .
    Southern Man

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Another consideration is to load a .45 ball with a THICK patch. The state of ILL permits .45 as the minimum but maybe your state is less or more.
    I do know a reduction in caliber = less recoil.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.