Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 200gr .38 SPL data?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the 195 gr. Lyman, but I was thinking it'd be nice to find a mold that would cast a projectile similar in shape to what was used in the old Enfield .38-200 rounds, that was tail-heavy and tended to yaw on impact. No doubt out of place on an IDPA range, but with the extra "oomph" afforded by a .38 Special, it could add a new index of fight-stopping capability to snubbies and K-frames.
    NOE clone of British Mk1 service bullet is what you want. I ordered the .363-204RN because I wanted to feed a Webley & Scott Mk4 and two Victory S&Ws. It tolerates being sized to .358 for the .38 Specials, but you can also order the mold in smaller .360 or .358 diameters.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I had always thought the 195 grainer would be a great excuse for a yawning wide "manstopper" style hollow point approaching the geometry of a HPWC. But then I experimented with HPWC's and decided that 195 was too heavy to get the velocity for reliable expansion except with .357Magnum level loading. But, hey, convert it to a HPWC and you'd shed some weight so yeah, it would be just right. Could surely be better than how reversing #358395 turned out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    I had always thought the 195 grainer would be a great excuse for a yawning wide "manstopper" style hollow point approaching the geometry of a HPWC. But then I experimented with HPWC's and decided that 195 was too heavy to get the velocity for reliable expansion except with .357Magnum level loading. But, hey, convert it to a HPWC and you'd shed some weight so yeah, it would be just right. Could surely be better than how reversing #358395 turned out.

Good Cheer -- I'm thinking the same thing. Maybe we need a fresh thread -- something like Bullet Expansion at "Leisurely" Velocities.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Oh my, you've given me an idea.
    #358430 could be given a Shai Hulud style hollow point. And with a shorter flat plug in the same hole you'd have heavier WFN plain base rifle boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh my, you've given me an idea.
    #358430 could be given a Shai Hulud style hollow point. And with a shorter flat plug in the same hole you'd have heavier WFN plain base rifle boolits.
    Never heard of Shai Hulud hollow points, but I think the .38 snubby has the most to gain from them.

In the mid-1930s, Hatcher listed the Super Police load at 625 f/s from a snubby. If that bullet could be induced to mushroom to 0.50", the mathematical models predict about 17" of penetration and 38 grams of effective wound mass.

For comparison, Brassfetcher's snubby testing showed 135 grain short barrel Gold Dots with a velocity of 860 ft/s expanding to 0.53" and penetrating to about 12". Effective wound mass would only be about 28 grams.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the first batch of 200 grainers out of an adjustable weight HPWC mould a shooting buddy cooked up for me:

Hatcher lists the original .38 Special Super Police load at 623 f/s from a 2" barrel. Starting there and working toward expansion between 0.40" and 0.48" should give FBI-compliant penetration and maximize wound mass.

I hope to get some testing done this week.

Boolit Buddy
    Western powders has load data for 230 grain 38 special & 357.

Penn bullets also has data.

Boolit Master

That HPWC is really cool........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy

3.0 grains of Bulls Eye will propel the Accurate 36-193D at 585 fps, from my little one pound, 1 7/8" barreled S&W M37.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    That HPWC is really cool........
    Cool, yes. But 200 grains appears to be a bit too heavy. Here are the results from last week's Snubbyfest:

From a 2-3/4" Ruger Speed-Six, the shots through four layers of denim performed as I had hoped. But from my 442, they yawed before hitting the target, failed to expand, swapped ends and penetrated less than 12" in the gello. Not good. Next trip, I'll try less lead and more powder.

Sounds like a good deer load..
    Might even be better out of a rifle..
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Boolit Grand Master
    Has anyone tried a heavy bullet, British military style round from a Terrier (38 S&W)? I’m thinking it might be too much of a good thing, but would certainly give the little Terrier som serious street cred!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Has anyone tried a heavy bullet, British military style round from a Terrier (38 S&W)? I’m thinking it might be too much of a good thing, but would certainly give the little Terrier som serious street cred!

Froggie
    Yes! I got good results with NOE 363-204RN with 2.1 grains of Bullseye for 550 fps.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just to be sure. You got those results from a short barrel (snub) Terrier, right? How was the recoil? Did you have any indication you might be overworking that little I (or J) frame? My application would be a pre War I frame Terrier which is of course minimal in size, weight, and overall strength for any 38.

Thanks for your response,
    Green Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Just to be sure. You got those results from a short barrel (snub) Terrier, right? How was the recoil? Did you have any indication you might be overworking that little I (or J) frame? My application would be a pre War I frame Terrier which is of course minimal in size, weight, and overall strength for any 38.

Thanks for your response,
    Green Frog
    Yes. Also worked well in a1937 Colt Banker's Special. Recoil and velocity similar to pre-WW2 WRA Super Police which I also tested. Velocity 620 fps in 4" Colt Police Positive in .38 NP.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thank you very much, Outpost 75. I had been hesitant to fire that heavy a bullet in that lightweight a gun. I know it’s an all steel frame, but there’s just so little of it! I really appreciate your definitive information. I had considered selling off the little Terrier in favor of my 38 Spl Chiefs Specials, but I think I’ll play with it a bit longer.
    Regards,
    Froggie

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345