Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DEWC in 12ga. full bore size --- 1,000+ grains?

Boolit Mold
    found something interesting. Its a formula for determining penetration in wetpack by meplat. weight in grains divided by 7000 times velocity divided by meplat in thousands of an inch divided by 5. It seems to be somewhat accurate for pistol velocity type bullets. answers the question of velocity vs mass a little better.
    example 740gr slug 1350fps .4 meplat vs 980gr slug 1175fps .4 meplat
    740/7000 = .1057 * 1350= 142.71 / .4 356.7 / 5 = 71 inches of penetration in wetpack
    980/7000 = .14 * 1200 = 168 / .4 = 420 / 5 = 84 inches of penetration in wetpack.

In Remembrance

Anyone happen to have a dixie slug to measure the meplat on?
    So we can put that number into this formula and compare the result to actual results obtained here:
    http://www.dixieslugs.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...1eaafac583f141

Just to verify the formula a little.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Buddy
    That Formula is nowhere near right. My 1043 Gr slug at 1048 FPS with a .500" Metplat will only go through 49" of Wetpack. The Formula shown gives almost double that. Google search my Name and the Linebaugh Seminar for the real Wepack and Wetpack/Beef Femut Test.
    That will give You more accurate Results. I have been inpressed with the Performance of a .660" diameter 678Grain Solid and a .375 Metplat against Trees. Haven't fired it in Wetpack. Maybe I'll Volunteer some Ammo for the Next Linebaugh Seminar?
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Boolit Master
    You would think the kind of animal involved would have something to do with it, and buffalo and percheron horses both seem improbable. I don't believe anything else in North America, and certainly not deer, exposes any great inadequacy in killing power when reasonably well placed. I think a 1000 grain slug would entail a loss of flatness of trajectory and ability to get off a very fast second shot, both of which you need. In exchange about all it would give is the ability to kill faster than NOW, which you don't.

Boolit Mold
    opps division of 5 may have been for boards not wetpack. I think wetpack was divided by 6.25. Of course its just an interesting way to compare higher weight vs higher velocity. if the bullet tumbles or flattens it would not apply. I'd would not bet my life on it but its there none the less.

In Remembrance

"... only 49 inches of wetpack..."

yeah. ONLY!

"...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Buddy
    Yes only 49 inches of wetpack...! I know it's disappointing, but check out BPI's slugs tested in 10% Gelatin.
    They are pretty sad. My Stuff tracks strainght in Wetpack and is recovered point on. Alot of Rifle Bullets Yaw and exit the Wetpack sideways. I seem to recall the .50 BMG exited sideways after 20 some Inches.
    I recall the .416 Rigby went 26" with a Softpoint, but don't quote ME on that.
    If You Hit the BEar square in the Shoulders, I doubt it would exit, but it's possible.
    Nobody with a Brain would try a Texas Heart Shot on a Bear.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12