Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Blue an entire rifle

Cold Blue an entire rifle

Working on an old Remington 514 22S/L/LR rifle as a winter project to be eventually used by my daughter.

The barrel was in rough shape with minor rust pitting. The interior of the barrel is in great shape. Experimenting with some wet-dry paper and steel wool, the minor rusting I don't think will be a problem.
    I have done some various parkerizing in the past but really don't want to try hot bluing salts for this little rifle. Most other parts are OK and can be salvaged with oil and steel wool. (Except the bolt. It needs a weld touch up and regrind. Someone did a poor fix in the past when the bolt handle fell off...)

I was debating whether to save work and sandblast the barrel down to hide the areas of minor pitting and then cold blue.
    I was also thinking of taking my time and doing the proper metal prep procedure of using different coarse papers to smooth out the steel.

How well does cold blue work on entire barrels and small receivers?

Anybody try it over light sandblasting?

Attachment 20118 Attachment 20119
    Last edited by cheese1566; 06-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Vendor Sponsor
    cheese,

I have cold blued an entire rifle in the past. It will probably work to your satisfaction. Of course it won't be a show piece, but show pieces are wasted on children, and less anxiety when dings and scratches happen. Use a good quality cold blue. Get some cotton pads like for cosmetics or you could cut up old white cotton socks into 2-3 inch squares. Put the patches in a small bowl and cover with cold blue. Use them one at a time to apply the blue. Don't dip them back in the solution. When they loose their bluing strength discard them and pick up a new one. This way you won't dilute the solution and you will get better results.

Have fun.

ammohead

Be aware that some steels take cold blue better than others. One thing that helps is to dab on the cold blue generously, then rub it with steel wool. Something about that will accelerate the process. Brownell's Oxpho Blue is pretty much the gold...or rather blue...standard of cold blueing. To produce a really rugged finish with cold blue, sandblast the surface first. It produces a matte black finish that really lasts.

Boolit Bub
    rust blueing is pretty simple

Boolit Master
    My thread produced this recommendation, a couple times. Ah well, ya picks yer poison. But the responses I got from some who did it claim it can be done, and the results, while not showroom, are very good, nonetheless......Lee

http://www.vansgunblue.com/

P.S. I ordered a small bottle of Van's. If it doesn't work then I can blame Cast Boolits for my screw-up. It's the American way! Some one else is always responsible for my error!!
    Last edited by Lee; 02-23-2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: placing the blame!
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the late 60's early 70's gunsmith Tommy Bish wrote a book called home gunsmithing and all he used was cold blue. I personally couold neveer repeat his success but it did produce some pretty pieces.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I cold blue my rifle replacement barrels with Brownell's Oxpho Blue .
    Not as durable as hot blue but with a 243 the bore wears out so fast I don't worry much about the outside. It can be touched up with a wipe. Set next to factory Remington rifle you can't see the difference from five feet back.

by sand blast do you mean glass bead blast? Bluing that surface would give you a mat finish.
    Would look OK but would mark up easily. If you have any pits in the metal a mat finish would hide them better. A die grinder powered felt fob with polish compound makes short order of polishing gun steel.

With a cold blue it will look much better the next day after curing over night. I just use a single application but you can polish apply blue then repeat three times or so for a mirror finish. I've never felt the need for that much shine. With a single application then a single touch up application will cover mars. That's my theory anyway.

You'll need fine grit emery paper an four ought steel wool for metal prep. 0000 steel wool also for rubbing in the cold blue although I don't bother with it. I oil the bore with a mop before starting then run a solvent patch down it when done.

Boolit Master

Many, many years ago I cold blued an entire mauser rifle. Don't remember what bluing I used but it turned out very good. The metal must be VERY clean before you start. I also heated the metal slightly and then rubbed the bluing on until the metal cooled, then polished with 4-0 steel wool. Did about 6 applications and it turned out very well.

I recently did another mauser that was deeply pitted on the outside using Duro Coat filler and spray finish [sold by Midway]. Bead blasted the metal, sprayed on the filler, when dry sanded with fine paper. This filled the pits. I then applied 3 coats of the spray on matt black finish which is a two part epoxy mix. I was very well pleased with the results but it is a black finish not blue. Stated to be highly wear resistant.

Larry

Boolit Buddy

Cold Blue an entire rifle

I have successfully blued several .22 rifles and single barrel shotguns with Brownells Oxpho-Blue over the years. The secret is to have the best polishing job you can manage on the parts, the parts thoroughly de-greased, and I usually use three applications of the Oxpho-Blue. Let the final application cure a day, then oil.

Banned

I use Oxpho-blue now but a long time ago I bought some blueing called US Barrel Blue. I used it for smaller parts like revolver frames and parts and it looked like a good hot blue job.
    Parts were put in boiling water and the bottle was also hung in the water. Take out the part and swab it with the hot blue solution and put the part back in the water. Card between coats and do as many coats as needed.
    Does anyone know what happened to this product?
    Has anyone tried Oxpho-blue on hot parts?

You can rust blue with Laurel Mtn. Forge browning. Brown and then boil the piece for a couple of minutes - it will turn black. No need to glass bead blast, the browning will make a mat finish for you. Swab it on then DON"T TOUCH IT for 24 hours, then swab again &etc. three days is enough. On chrome moly steel it makes a more plum color, mild steel = brown brown (not rust red). Same goes for other steels, the effectiveness of cold blues really varies with the alloy.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

yup i allways heat the part to about 200 degrees in the oven first. I dont know if it helps or not but it doesnt seem to hurt/QUOTE=44man;823485]I use Oxpho-blue now but a long time ago I bought some blueing called US Barrel Blue. I used it for smaller parts like revolver frames and parts and it looked like a good hot blue job.
    Parts were put in boiling water and the bottle was also hung in the water. Take out the part and swab it with the hot blue solution and put the part back in the water. Card between coats and do as many coats as needed.
    Does anyone know what happened to this product?
    Has anyone tried Oxpho-blue on hot parts?[/QUOTE]

Beekeeper
    Cheese,
    Over on surplusrifle.com forum there is a complete writeup by someone named Popeye about doing a cold blue job.
    I have used it several times with great results.
    Make sure your metal is clean(squeeky clean) or you will get a mottled effect.
    Ihave a 71/84 mauser I did and it has an almost patina effect as I did not get the metal completely clean.
    Left some wax on it from the buffing.

Jim

Here it is so far.
    Last night I sandblasted with DuPont Starblast. I didn't have any Brownell's Oxy so I tried some Birchwood Casey that I had on hand. I figured I could always reblast and try it again.
    This is with 4 applications according to directions and the saturation with oil. I don't see much mottling (which hopefully the ones I see are next to the stock!).

Of course, it will be a matte finish since I started with a blasted finish.

The stripped stock is in the rear. Another light scrub with Formby's Refinisher and steel wool to knock the grain down after the steaming and she'll get a few coats of Formby's Low Gloss Tung Oil. I hate sanding stocks and figure I'll let the stains, dings, and scratches let her tell her story for years to come. (Hence the matte finish, didn't figure a lot of time and energy to buff the steel for a high polish bluing job. Wouldn't match right in my opinion. Can't polish a turd!)

Attachment 20305

Boolit Buddy

Another option

My experiences with cold blue, admittedly only for touch ups or barrels, has been inconsistent. I have had much better success with parkerizing. Have you considered trying that? The chemicals are cheap and pretty safe and I find it easier.

Best regards
    Doc

Yep. I have done Brownells Zinc (then gunkote over that) and my own homebrew manganese park solution. I posted my experience on the homebrew here a while back. If I could get a super dark park with my homebrew recipe, I would have considered it in this case.

Here it is all done. My brother-in-law was surprised at the redo.
    Before/after:
    Attachment 20608Attachment 20609Attachment 20611
    Special thanks to 357maximum for donating the trigger guard!!!
    Stock: Formby's furniture refinsher & Formby's tung oil
    Metal: Sandblast w/DuPont Starblast & 3 applications of Birchwood Casey cold blue

Boolit Master
    Since the local water supply has a lot of minerals and distilled water isn't easy to find, I wash the metal down after each application using dollar store rubbing alcohol which is mostly distilled and pobably deionised water with a little alcohol.
    I've also used Hydrogen peroxide which is almost all water and what isn't breaks down into water. Main thing is there aren't any of the chemicals found in tap water which screws up the finish.
    Instead of steel wool for carding I use some old upholstery synthetic hair padding.

I don't try for a mirror bright shine, and when fine sanding to a 600 and sometimes 1000 grit I rotate a barrel or round receiver rather than polish lengthwise. This seems to hold the solution to the steel better.

Smaller parts I dip and then soak in ballistol and wipe clean, several times.

Boolit Master

Cold Blue

My son-in -law found a Win. 67 (less the bolt) for $29.00. He gave it to me. The barrel was pitted in places. I started with a file, removed the pitting, worked the barrel/action down with progressively finer sand papers.(stopped at 800 grit) I degreased every thing and used Birchwood Casey Casey cold Blue. I did preheat the metal to about 150 degrees(with a propane torch) to make sure all the oil was gone. I applied multiple coats of blueing while the metal was hot.
    The stock had "Jack" stratched into one side,dirty grimey and a 1/4" hole goughed into the pistol grip.I stripped it down with E_Z strip. I worked the walnut stock down and finished it in boiled linseed oil. My son-in-law refused to believe it was the same rifle when I was finished. It also surprised me. I never did find a bolt for the rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Cheese,
    Over on surplusrifle.com forum there is a complete writeup by someone named Popeye about doing a cold blue job.

Jim
    Small world, Jim. Popeye is my brother.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast