Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Buddy
    Looking good. Which dies did you get with the press?
    Looks a bit small compared to yours.

Boolit Master
    When I originally ordered the press last year I got a set of 452 lswc dies and had those. I also got dies to do 224 and 243 jacketed.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm almost done with my .224 point form die, I thought I had it last time, but alas another " nice looking, what is that?' Know what I mean? The next caliber I try I'm going to make the point form first, then the others. Oh well when you are retired ya got a lot of time.

Boolit Master
    Ill probably try to do my own 30 caliber dies first, bigger is easier right??

Boolit Buddy
    Oh yeah. I figure if I can do a .224 I can do any caliber. My 45 works, I have a corbin 44, and 7mm.

Boolit Mold
    A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a couple of sets of dies from Dave Corbin for my new press. One set of dies cuts a copper disc for the base of a 45 ACP bullet. The other set swages a round nose 45 acp bullet.

My problem is that I don't know how the nose punch is held by the press. There are no threads on it. Can someone explain how this thing works?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45ACP Swaging Dies.jpg   BaseGuard Dies.jpg  

Smile

Fast answer , floating external punch holder .

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Blaser. Do you have a picture by chance? Measurements would be extremely helpful too.

I've looked at the Corbin site and can't figure out how it is held. When I ordered the dies, I spoke with Dave Corbin and explained that I was using a homemade press and didn't have a punch holder. He said he would send me a photo but I guess he forgot.

Boolit Master
    Doug the punch holder will need to thread into the top of the press, say 7/8-14 threaded piece.

Then counterbore a hole into it to accept the top punch with a little play.

Then a threaded colar to capture the punch and keep it from falling out.

My de-rimming die is similar to that, it holds drill bushings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_F View Post
    Thanks Blaser. Do you have a picture by chance? Measurements would be extremely helpful too.

I've looked at the Corbin site and can't figure out how it is held. When I ordered the dies, I spoke with Dave Corbin and explained that I was using a homemade press and didn't have a punch holder. He said he would send me a photo but I guess he forgot.
    Doug _F,

Look at this link...

http://www.corbins.com/prcsp-1.htm

The punch holder threads into the top of the press like Aneat said. If you scroll down you can see a closer picture. The holder is threaded internally and the nut fits into it. The nut has a hole through it about .375+ so the punch head rests on the nut. When pressure is put on the punch it is seated in the solid part of the holder. One could certainly make one with external threads like Aneat's though. Hope that helps some. I could try to take pictures of mine if you need more help.

Dan

Boolit Mold
    Ahhhh. Mystery solved. Thanks ANeat and Dan. I really appreciate your help.

I'm going to have to think about this for a while. Looks like I have a couple of options and I want to be as accurate as I can but at the same time, do it as easily as possible.

ANeat, I'm assuming that the play in the holder is to allow the operator to align the punches and holes then tighten everything up? I hope so because I'm worried that the tolerances on this die exceed the tolerances on my press. The die is beautifully machined and the thin edges of the nose punch appear fairly fragile.

This is a GREAT forum and y'all are a GREAT bunch of guys. Thanks again.

Boolit Mold
    Hmmmm...after rereading ANeat's and Dan's posts, I'm starting to wonder wether the top punch is left loose in the holder so that it can self align during the swaging process. Can one of y'all straighten me out on this?

Although I haven't had a chance to use this press yet, I sure do love it. In fact, I'm simultaneously building four more. One additional for me and three others for some buddies of mine. Thanks again, ANeat, for taking the time to post all of your photos and for answering questions.

Boolit Master
    That sounds great Doug. You do want a little wiggle in the top punch, "floating" holder as Blaser mentioned.

Boolit Mold
    approx. how much did you spend on materials alone? I think this is the perfest long term, learning project. I like it!

Boolit Master
    Jr; I think I had about $200.00 in materials ordering online. If you could find a supplier locally and save shipping that would knock off $40.00 or so if there prices are similar.

You could also downsize a bit with no worries. Its really a little overkill for most swaging duties but its nice to know when you need to lean on it a bit that it will hold up.

Boolit Bub
    The only bad thing is your "Monster" could probably generate enough pressure to explode a set of dies fairly easily!!! Not a problem if you have the discipline not to lean on it too hard - but I am one of those types that if a normal hammer doesn't do the job - I reach for the 25lb sledge. It would be a very costly press for me to own HAHA!!!

Sarg

ANeat:
    I work with AutoCad and solidworks Every day for my job. If you wanted i could get the press all drawn up for you. Solidworks would allow it to be function tested in a 3d environment before actually building it. this will allow changes and tweeks to be made to the blue prints.

Boolit Master
    JT that would be great, I have autocad (2008) but Ive never got around to getting the press put in (im a rank beginner at Autocad)

PM me if you want to go forward with it

Let the drawing begin, give me something to do at work while I'm waiting for my cnc lathe to finish

Old War Horse

Thumbs up

JT, I'd like to be among those that beg a copy of your finished drawing, if it becomes available...?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by JTknives View Post
    Let the drawing begin, give me something to do at work while I'm waiting for my cnc lathe to finish
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast