MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    ANeat, what is the distance between the holes in the links???

TIA
    Well the left to right spacing isnt too critical, The base and guide plate are 6" wide so the inside dimension needs to be at least that plus a little for clearance.

On mine the inside to inside dimension ended up at 6.150 as my base and guide plates were a little over 6"

That will also be the spacing on the milled slots in the top plate

Boolit Mold
    ANeat,

Thanks for the quick response. You wrote that you wish your toggle links were longer. I've been staring at your press trying to figure out why longer links would be better but it escapes me. Can you please explain? Sorry to be a pain in the neck.

Boolit Master
    See in this pic, the toggle just barely clears the bottom at full up, a few more inches of "adjustment" would have been a little less stress.

Boolit Mold
    Aha!!! That's why you rounded the ends of the 5 inch long pieces of your toggle. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    The very longest pieces, one on each side of press, you called them "links" they attach at the top of the press and the toggle bar. they have a hole at each end, the dimension between these hols is what I am curious about.

Thanks.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Mold
    I bet I know the answer to that question Dragonrider. Aneat's top plate is 1 inch thick but the hole for the link is drilled into the side of the plate 1/2" up from its bottom. Next, his guide bars are 12 inches long which are sitting on top of his bottom plate which is 1 inch thick. Finally, the long arms on his toggle are 5 inches long but you have to subtract 1 inch since the pivot hole is in the center of the main toggle bar. That gives you a total of 17 1/2 inches.

Hmmm...something is not adding up right since ANeat's links are 18 inches long.

Boolit Master
    HA, Im still working on the one with what I consider the "right" dimensions.

Now the press in the pic I had to juggle some stuff around to make what I had on hand work.

I would drill the top hole in the links and hang them on the press. Then hold the toggle in place to make sure you have clearance for full travel to determine the center to center length.

After the links are made hang the toggle and slip the ram in place, then you can determine the place for the ram pivot.

Sorry if all this seems confusing or kind of an ****-backwards of doing something.

I should add that Doug F is probably pretty close but I would feel better having the partial assembly there to measure just to be sure before I drilled anything.

A little too long wouldnt be to critical but obviously too short can cause headaces LOL
    Last edited by ANeat; 03-01-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    ANeat;

I'm very impressed, and that's hard to do.

I've been thinking of building a press like yours for a few years, but other projects keep getting in the way.

One question, since cold rolled steel is so prone to warp/distort when machined or welded, did you normalize it first? If not, did you experience any significant problems with distortion?
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I did no special prep to the 1018. I was also worried about warping with the toggle having so much welding on it.

I tried to make it as "beefy" as possible just in case any material had to be removed after welding. Other than that I think keying everything in place helped as much as anything.

The other parts really dont have a lot of machining relative to the mass of the part, Im sure that helped a lot.

I think the general design scaled down would be really nice for just doing small caliber stuff.

Excellent work, Adam. If I had the machinery I'd dive in making my own. Until then I'll have to wait for a Walnut Hill to be made or come to market when no one's looking. Have the RCE jacket maker die for .224 and nothing else. Well besides the CH4D 10mm JHP dies. Getting bored with that. I've got a 6 FRBs, 2 5 gallon buckets, and another trip to the indoor range to make. All full of .22 rimfire cases. Last few FRBs have WMR brass mixed in too so I'm going to experiment with those.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Freak, how ya been? Yes Im waiting on a Walnut Hill myself and got tired of waiting.

Ending up with a Walnut Hill/Mega Mite hybrid I think

Boolit Man

If your not into building a press..

I see Richard has posted a Walnut Hills press on ebay. you can do a search for "Bullet Swaging Press". Just a FYI, (I have one)

Quote Originally Posted by ANeat View Post
    Thanks Freak, how ya been? Yes Im waiting on a Walnut Hill myself and got tired of waiting.

Ending up with a Walnut Hill/Mega Mite hybrid I think
    Pretty good. Roller coaster with the business. Hit rock bottom but might be able to pull it together. Still trying to figure out what works. Other than that, family is good, just trying to manage what life throws at us. Got a gun show next month locally that might turn the tide. Trouble is it's hosted by the local gun shop that also buys my ammo which I will be selling there as well. Hate to compete with my customers but the only retail I do locally is a reloading service and the two gun shows a year locally so they know and are OK with it. They've been pretty good with me and I've been able to load things and cartridges they haven't gotten in several months from the big guys. Walmart goes out of stock, then they get hit and go out of stock, then call me. I can get them resupplied before Walmart gets resupplied.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrk View Post
    I see Richard has posted a Walnut Hills press on ebay. you can do a search for "Bullet Swaging Press". Just a FYI, (I have one)
    I have heard he lists it and then contacts for a back order, that it's not actually in stock ready to ship. Don't know personally but people have told me that from their personal experience.

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    The one on EBAY sounds like one of his seconds. Every so often he would list one on his store website. He must be seeing what the market will bear.

The lower set of holes on the toggle get messed up one way or another, either in the casting process or machining. He just removes that part of the toggle and calls it a swage only press, without the "reloading" function.
    Last edited by ANeat; 03-06-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Man
    Geez, I was just trying to be helpful and save someone a few bucks. I have met Richard and have found him to be a standup guy. IMO he has always been honest and has very helpful.

Boolit Master
    Jimrk; thanks for letting us know, I think the press would be a great deal if it doesent go too high. Hopefully its one he has on hand.

A lot of guys here are a little tired of having to wait close to a year or more for a press.

From my contacts with Richard he is in the middle of trying to get a lot of the machining outsourced so he can keep up with demand.
    He like much of the gun related businesses are pretty covered up this last year or more.

Im still looking forward to getting mine

I should add that I still think the Walnut Hill is the best deal out there on a swage press

Boolit Man
    Very good. I understand the frustration of waiting. It's a good day when the Brown Truck arrives. Yes, I understand Richard has a local shop doing blanks so he can get a better turn around time. It seems to be working.. I had him make a Makarov die I received in less than a week.

Boolit Bub

Swaging Press

The Walnut Hill seems to be a very good press. If one is going to swage big bullets - over 30 caliber it would definately be the way to go.

For .224 up to probably 30 caliber, Larry Blackmon make a very nice little press and matching dies for considerablely less than either Corbin. The key is size of the bullet. His press is the great grandchild of Ted Smith's SAS press with some improvements by the way of early Corbin tools. Works very well for the .224 stuff and his dies are top line steel.

That said - I admire anyone who can make something like A Neat does. That is wonderful work. To have the tools and skill would be nice indeed. His work is top flight.

Swage On!

Jim

Boolit Master
    Thanks Jim; Is Larry Blackmon still making/selling his press. I had heard that he had stopped taking new business.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast