Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Buddy

I have a guy who will make the parts for me but I would want to use BT, Sniper dies and CH 4D dies. Can anyone tell me what modifications I need to make to be able to do this?

Boolit Buddy
    I am deep into the process of machining the parts to build my version of this press. I preface my statement by saying I am a true amateur home shop machinist which would be better described as a tinkerer. This is a heck of a process and I am learning a lot. I haven't been taking pictures but will try to start doing so. Will this be a success? Who knows, time will tell. My congratulations to those who have completed this press and I will say undertaking this process also has given me even more respect to those individuals who make dies and other metal fabrication parts with such precision. Anyway, I hope to post follow ups to my press parts as I continue to move forward. There are slight variations but that's ok as hopefully it works and suits my needs.

Looking forward to seeing your press! Have fun with it.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still moving forward with my press. I have an older Atlas 10-42 lathe and a cheap Harbor Freight milling machine. I sure hope to find a nice used mill in the future and one will show up sometime but I have been looking for a while. I keep reminding myself to have patience. Anyway, I am jealous of those with a fully stocked machine shop at their disposal as I do not. I am at the point of needing to work on the ram but need a steady ready for support. So I am knee deep in fabricating a steady rest and hopefully will wrap this up shortly. A project like this always seems to require/permit to to work on other parts which advance my learning curve in the shop. It is an enjoyable hobby for me. More to come.

This thread has motivated me to build one of these lead smashers. Used a few ideas from Aneat and came up with a few of my own. Together the project turned out great. Thanks for the motivation. This press is set up for Corbin H DiesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	5A59EDC0-A8CE-43C9-BF7F-A0577A509607.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	231350

Nice work! Welcome to the forum.....

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Thanks,
    I have enough material to build another one. Going to change the design somewhat. This first one was extremely difficult to align. The next will be much easier with the changes. Planning on swaging some jacketed boolits for my .510 Whisper.

Jay

Boolit Buddy
    Well done Metro and welcome to the thread. I am still making slow progress on mine. I am learning as I go on mine and it seems like I have had to fabricate a number of parts to get where I am now. The good thing is I now have a functional steady rest, which was my latest build to support this project. I hope mine turns out as well as yours.

Boolit Mold
    Can't believe it's almost been a year since the last post! I have three questions:

1) Does anyone know the threads on BT Sniper's dies? I'd like to bore out and thread the hole to fit them, unless they're standard reloading die threads in which case I'll bore out a 1-1/2" hole and use a bushing instead.

2) I don't trust my ability to weld in that tiny space between the toggles; those of you who used countersunk screws instead, what are the drilling parameters you used? (Depth, threads, etc.)

3) What colors did everyone paint your presses?

Boolit Master

BTSniper dies are 7/8-14, same as standard reloading dies.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    This thread was my inspiration to make my own version/variation:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...le-stage-press

My thanks again to the OP for such a great idea and project

Will
    Last edited by wquiles; 10-26-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Nice! Air over hydraulic?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Faret View Post
    Nice! Air over hydraulic?
    Yup, air over hydraulic fluid

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0E284D9F-C858-4546-BD8B-01EF40B16FFF.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	266589

Can I make hay with these old Nautilus weight machine plates? I can get a pile of them if I’m quick about it. I even have the guide bars. Dimensions are on the picture. They are awful long but free and predrilled. 🙂

Boolit Man
    I suppose one of these would be impossible to make without access to a mill or lathe?

In your neck of the woods I would say yes. Unless you can find a machine shop to do the work that you cannot do?

Boolit Bub
    Still interesting! Has anyone taken the plans and adapted it to a 50 cal reloading press? I know the big Wallnut press you can also use as a reloading press. What would need to be done?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by comdiver View Post
    Still interesting! Has anyone taken the plans and adapted it to a 50 cal reloading press? I know the big Wallnut press you can also use as a reloading press. What would need to be done?
    From memory, It’s mentioned somewhere in this thread. -I think- all that needed done was another hole in the toggle arm So you have a “high” and “low” gear. Please post if you find it. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by comdiver View Post
    Most reloading shell holders for the 50bmg require a 7/8-14 threaded ram. If swaging bullets you would need to look at specs for the H dies or BT Snipers take regular dies. Another ram could be made just for reloading also.

Boolit Bub
    I know this is an old thread, and there is a link in the first post to download plans for this threads swage press. My question is, is the link still good? I can't open that link. Is there a file section on this forum to upload and or download files, or is the file somewhere else that I can download?
    Last edited by rboeser; 04-27-2021 at 05:18 PM.
    Benefactor Member of NRA

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast