Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Buddy
    You may just want to purchase the punch holder from Corbin. The time and money spent may not be worth it here. Corbin makes very quality parts. I use the Corbin positive stop top punch holder on my hydraulic press. Repeatability never changes. Bottom out the dies, set pressure, small dwell and every bullet comes out the same. I know everyone has a budget. If you had a chance to use a hydraulic press you would never look back. I can easily get 5-6/second cycle times per operation. You can load the press as fast as you can move. Consider Corbin first, then decide if you can duplicate at a reasonable cost, your time and money.
    Swaging makes me less dependent on the bullet manufactures. Their prices will always be going up.

Boolit Mold
    the problem is shipping fee and import fee to belgium then it is getting expencive
    you got a pic from the possitive stop ?

Boolit Mold
    does anybody got a mega mite ? how deep is the hole forthe ejectorpin i a made a ram on the specs i got from thise threat but i only got 1/4"travel on my ejectorpin i am using corbin H dies so i think they are longer then the one used normaly for thise press

Boolit Buddy
    Tuscani, most if not all of the press information you find here does not pertain to H-Type dies. The presses here all use the standard 7/8-14 smaller dies for manual presses. I went through this over a year ago. Couldn't get any 100% accurate information for H-Type dies. There's many hours of machining involved in the main part which I consider the RAM. I basically purchased a set of Corbin H-Type dies to see how all the pieces go together and work. After that I reversed engineered the design and drew up all the details in AutoCad. If you don't have a drawing detail to start with I don't know how you can start machining any of the parts. Trial and error can be very time consuming and expensive. If the design is correct and the details are drawn correctly everything should fit and work the first time. The four post hydraulic press that I built last year did work and fit together the first time and is 100% documented. I spent the time to design and document everything in the beginning of this project. If something doesn't work or fit I have a starting reference to go back to and change if needed. If I can't draw the detail or electrical schematic then I don't know what I'm building or how it should operate.
    For your information from the top of the ram to the bottom of the ejector die hole is 5.375". This dimension worked fine for me.
    Good luck on your project.

Boolit Mold
    thx kayadadog now i only need to how long and the position from the slot to make it work with H dies

Boolit Bub
    I have some questions regarding the materials and construction of this press. It has been some time since I read all the threads, so this may have been asked before. If I want to build a press for swaging only, do I need to make the toggle links 24 inches, or can they be 18" as some have built them? Would there be a problem with using 1/2x 2" material, instead of 1.1/2"? Would the wider toggle link compromise the strength of the Top Plate? If I just make a press for swaging, do I need both holes in the toggle arms? What kind of clearance do you need between the toggle links,ram, and the toggle assembly parts for free movement? Any help in answering these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Boolit Mold
    Finished up the press a few days ago and have been giving it a bit of a workout. Over 1k done and so far it is working great

Not sure about posting pictures, but will give it a try and see what happens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08903.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	132510

This press will be dedicated to just swaging 9mm to 40's so I changed a few things from ANeat's original design.

Name:	Press 3.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	132523

Did the layout in Google Sketchup to make sure all the parts would fit the way they needed to. The steel company had some shorts in sizes that were close enough to work which helped out with material costs. The major pieces of steel came to $32.00. Add in the small steel parts, bushings, hardware, paint, etc the price tag came to a little over $100. I was able to do the lathe work, but had a machinist do the top, guide and bottom plates. Having the right machines and experience can make a lot of difference in how things turn out.

Name:	DSC08905.JPG 
Views:	322 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	132513

Used an 1-1/2" round shaft for the toggle and 1/2x2 for the toggle arms. That way the arms could be bored out on the lathe for the toggle shaft and welded all the way around to help minimize warpage. Added 2 stops for the toggle arms to hit against at the top of stroke instead of camming over. Also made the handle position adjustable so it could be positioned where ever worked the best. It is designed with 130° of arm travel so the handle stops at a comfortable standing position without having to bend over.

Name:	DSC08907.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	132516

Will be using BTSniper and CH4D dies so an ejector plate was added. Using the four posts going through the top plate keeps things out of the way and clean looking.

Name:	DSC08909.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	132517

The reloading bench wasn't big enough to add another press so a small steel bench was built to hold it. The bench is anchored to the wall and with a heavy mounting plate to bolt the press to everything is rock solid. The bench top is about 40" inches high and puts the press up at a comfortable working height, plus the added shelves make for handy brass storage.

Want to give a VERY BIG THANK YOU to ANeat for the original design, MattM for the drawings and to all who had a part in making this project possible.

Frosted Boolits

Wow! Looks great!!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy

Here's my $132.00 Send me one...................................hehehe

Really nice. Good thinking on the throw.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Really nice! Well done. Mine is almost done. Found this project being bigger than I initially thought.

Is that a cam shaft?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Range View Post

Name:	DSC08903.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	132510

Want to give a VERY BIG THANK YOU to ANeat for the original design, MattM for the drawings and to all who had a part in making this project possible.

Short Range I really like the changes you made to adapt the press to your needs, fine job.

Keep up the good work folks...... really enjoy seeing everyones builds

Boolit Master
    Very nice work Shortrange. Now I have to decide if I want to make a new toggle shaft.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy

Good to see this thread still going and people still making this press. I love my press and after using it for a couple of years haver no complaints. When I retire from my job I will be making these presses for sale I think.

Barry Young

Boolit Mold
    mine is nearly done also made it for corbin H-dies

the start

and some milling work

some lathe work also

Last edited by tuscani; 04-23-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Boolit Mold
    and more and more made it with brass bushings

test fitting al the parts

1/2 qt bottle just to see the massive press size

gooing to make a few more of these one is not enuff

Boolit Buddy
    Great thread guys, I have been watching this one with interest for a long long long time. I am in my final design phase for my version of this press for my use. My plans do not have me doing any heavier tasks than 30 cal rifle boolits and 45s for the pistol. My question to those of you who have followed ANEAT's design, to use this with 7/8-14 dies as one would with a RCBS type press, how much would you suggest to shorten the guide rods and and toggle lengths to ensure the ram would be able to reach the top plate? I have seen where some have had problems in this area when using smaller length swage dies. I cant wait to get my build started.

Cont - I may have found my solution. It lies with the toggle link. My wooden prototype shows the ram coming up about 3.75 and 5 inches short of the top plate at full press. My thoughts are to simply drill two additional holes per toggle link at 4 and 6 1/2 inches from the top of the bar. Opinions whether this will work will be appreciated.
    Last edited by plus1hdcp; 04-23-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Cont

Quote Originally Posted by tuscani View Post
    mine is nearly done also made it for corbin H-dies

the start

and some milling work

some lathe work also

Got some dimensions for the ram to work with the H dies? Like hole depth, slot length and placement?

Boolit Mold
    i need to take the measures again i now i change them bu i can not find my measurements plan
    i dit a bunch of calculations to addapt for H dies

Boolit Mold
    Would ordinary A36 hot rolled steel work as well as cold rolled steel?

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast