Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Thanks Dalep.

I will put a bush there. I like the idea of a small part taking all the wear and not the ram. Makes it easier to replace.

So now the question is will you recommend brass or vesconite for that bush? Don't have experience to know if the vesconite can take that kind of force. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Ill make a metric drawing and post it here so it can help others who are interested.

I found the answer to my own question for the ram bushing.

Vesconite load bearing capacity 30MPa
    Phosphor bronze load bearing capacity 80Mpa

So for a bushing taking a lot of force brass/bronze may be better.
    I will still use vesconite for the other bushings on the guide rods and ram through base plate since wear characteristics are better and its way cheaper than phosphor bronze.

Boolit Mold
    Will corbin's "H" size dies work with this press?

Boolit Buddy

The Corbin CSP-2 press which uses Corbin H type dies has a ram that is threaded 1"-12. This press has a ram that is threaded 7/8-14. Check with others who have been doing this longer, but I do not think this press will work with Corbin H dies as designed. However, it would be as easy or easier to thread the ram 1"-12.

Good luck.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by SPA View Post
    Will corbin's "H" size dies work with this press?

Boolit Buddy

Swage press will be completed tomorrow. Then I can tear it down and paint it. This was harder to make than it looked.

Barry

Boolit Mold
    looking at their website, the ram is threaded to 1"-12 and the top plate is 1.5" -12. Is this right?

Boolit Buddy

Just finished assembly after paint. Thank you Aneat and Matt and Cast Boolits for making this possible. Now to make a hydraulic version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140121_161736_314.jpg   IMG_20140121_161721_427.jpg  

Looking good. I am also finding it to be a lot more work than it looks. Pieces too big for my hobby lathe mill drill vise so I had to get creative to fit it in the vice. I tacked angle irons to the base plate and top plate to hold it in the vice. Hopefully mine will be done in about two weeks then its on to making the dies. Maybe it was a big project for a first time project on the hobby lathe but I learned a lot building the thing.

Boolit Mold
    Hi everyone. I found this thread in a search and just joined here. I haven't had time to look around a lot, but I like what I have saw. I have a project that I will be reforming 50BMG brass and I was looking for a press up to the task. I am having a set of dies made now and I was looking at the possibility of building a press to save a few dollars. I have a full size manual mill and lathe so I think making this press wouldn't be a problem. The dies will be 1 1/2 - 12. I'm not looking to swage bullets right now, but who knows what the future holds. Would this press be capable of reforming the brass and also loading the ammo?

Thanks!

Boolit Master

Plenty of leverage but,
    You might have some problems with length of stroke.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Barry the press looks great, excellent job......

As far as the stroke length, as built mine has 6" of stroke (in the longer stroke position) and I would think it would accommodate 50 bmg brass..

But if you have a special need really any length could be built as needed if your starting from scratch.

Use the basic design/idea and customize it to your needs

It my opinion the design can be made larger or smaller/shorter/longer........to some degree to fit a special need

I should add, keep up the good work guys, I have been busy with other projects to do too much shooting/reloading/swaging but I still check in from time to time to see how everyone is doing.....

All the best... Adam
    Last edited by ANeat; 02-07-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Terrific work, BUT, what If you don't have a machine shop in your garage?,(sorry for my ignorance) can something be made to work with one of the little presses from say Harbor Freight?

Boolit Bub
    I have a couple of questions as I have someone making this for me.

I seen on one of the posts that the following bronze bushing are needed:
    1x Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 1-1/2" Shaft Diameter, 1-3/4" OD, 1" Length
    2x Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 1" Shaft Diameter, 1-1/4" OD, 1" Length
    1x Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 5/8" OD, 1-1/4" Length

So the 1st bronze bearing goes with Page 1 (base plate) per the drawing. Then the 2nd two bronze bearings go Page 3 for the guide rods, correct?
    Where does the last bronze bearing go?

Also, I would like to do some reloading on this press. Is there something that I can screw into the ram to take a shell holder? I have a bunch of lee shell holders. Also, I am looking at doing 50 BMG & 338 Lupa reloading on this press so any suggestions for what to use as a shell holder would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    CM

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticmachinery View Post
    I have a couple of questions as I have someone making this for me.

I seen on one of the posts that the following bronze bushing are needed:
    1x Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 1-1/2" Shaft Diameter, 1-3/4" OD, 1" Length
    2x Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 1" Shaft Diameter, 1-1/4" OD, 1" Length
    1x Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 5/8" OD, 1-1/4" Length

So the 1st bronze bearing goes with Page 1 (base plate) per the drawing. Then the 2nd two bronze bearings go Page 3 for the guide rods, correct?
    Where does the last bronze bearing go?

Also, I would like to do some reloading on this press. Is there something that I can screw into the ram to take a shell holder? I have a bunch of lee shell holders. Also, I am looking at doing 50 BMG & 338 Lupa reloading on this press so any suggestions for what to use as a shell holder would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    CM
    It goes on the toggle bar where the ram connects.

Boolit Bub
    Does anyone know if the press will work with the Corbin's 50 BMG Priming Tool (http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchan...ory_Code=50BMG). From the info on the site I see the shell holder will screw into the ram. It looks like the primer guide/punch fits inside the ram. Is that correct? Will it fit?

It looks like the RLA-EX part will not be needed.

Thanks,
    CM

Boolit Buddy

Thanks ANeat. Nice project you came up with.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range
    hi maybe this is a dumb idea but being that there are 5 or more sizes of threads could one make 4 diferent rams with the diferent threads to use diferent brands of dies? or would one just make adapters ? you could use the 1 1/2x12 to 7/8 out of a rock chucker ?

Boolit Mold
    Hi all.
    I am well into making this press at the mo but i need the size across the threads of a 1 1/4" die to make up a dummy die to try when i am cutting the threads in the adapter for the top plate , can someone with a 1 1/4" die put a micrometer on it and let me know exactly how many thou it is please ??
    Thanks
    Chubbs.
    Last edited by chubbus; 03-01-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range
    could you not get the dim you want for a thread from machinerys handbook ?

Boolit Buddy
    Chubbus; I checked the tap I had the OD was 1.2570 but it was a cl4 I went to the machinery hand book and for a hand tap the dim. was 1.2555 to 1.2560. Hope this helps. Sprink

Also checked checked Handbook 28 Dept of Commerce for thd. plug size
    Go Gage Size is 1.250, pitch dia. is 1.1969, If you made your thd. plug size at 1.250 you would be about .0015+ on your internal thd. for plug to fit. Your Bore Dia. Limits are 1.160 min.to 1.178 max.
    Last edited by sprinkintime; 03-05-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast