Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    Needing a 50 press ASAP myself. May just go simple with an Arbor press as I will not be loading many with it.
    Always thought a well placed 3rd hole between the swaging and reloading modes (high & low gear) on this press would be perfect for sizing military .50 BMG brass. Then switch to reloading mode to seat the bullets if necessary. UP North should be marketing this thing to the .50 crowd. This will swage BMG bullets won't it? You could do it all on one press.

Boolit Buddy

I am going to online metals in Ballard on Monday to purchase the first of the materials. I probably have what it takes to make one press, but not the two that I intend to make right away. Besides, it is way better to work with new material which is purchased for the job.

You missed a great yard sale today at my house. I sold two reloading presses, some extra scales and all sorts of stuff.

Old War Horse

Thumbs up

ANeat, a question: (and if I've missed the answer after studying this thread I apologize)

Why didn't you drill and counterbore the toggle bar for socket headed capscrews perhaps as big as 5/16-24, and drill and tap the linkage pieces correspondingly, then put in socket head cap screws in the holes to hold it all together and make the whole toggle assembly even more strong and secure?

This isn't to question your work, I just had the idea a few days ago, and needed to ask you what you thought of the idea, sir...?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ANeat View Post
    After welding the linkage pieces fit into place with little to no warping of the welded toggle

A piece of 1 1/2 stock in place to simulate the 1 1/2 ram, again everything stayed lined up real well.

A couple of the semi finished Toggle

Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Sorry, double tap

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    ANeat, a question: (and if I've missed the answer after studying this thread I apologize)

Why didn't you drill and counterbore the toggle bar for socket headed capscrews perhaps as big as 5/16-24, and drill and tap the linkage pieces correspondingly, then put in socket head cap screws in the holes to hold it all together and make the whole toggle assembly even more strong and secure?

This isn't to question your work, I just had the idea a few days ago, and needed to ask you what you thought of the idea, sir...?

Jim

Hi Jim; That would work, and I think someone here built one like that. To me welding up the toggle was quicker than drilling and taping all the holes.
    But If I didnt have the welder that would have been the way to go.

As far as strength, I think the whole thing is overkill (a good thing)
    On mine Ive added a 2nd handle and have swaged some pretty hard lead into bullets, where you lean/press your entire body weight into it.

Nothing has broke on mine, I did bulge out one die that I think I didnt harden properly.
    On the press I haven't noticed any wear (yet) at the pivot pins but they are getting a shine to them where the black oxide is getting rubbed off but no wear that you can feel or measure

Boolit Master
    Jim, Here is a pic of the one Latherunner built, bolted together... very nice

Old War Horse

Re: Lets make a Swage press

Thanks, ANeat, it does look great.

Sent from my most excellent Droid Razr, laughing at all iPhones!
    Last edited by Jim_Fleming; 12-05-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Hey my 1st post! been looking a long time,saw where ANeat made the swaging press and got me wanting to make one!I have some 1x6 flat bar don't know if it is hot or cold roll,do you think hot would work ok?,also have some old hyd cyl's I was thinking about using the ram out of.ANeat looks like you did a fine job!
    Merry Christmas!!

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20nickels View Post
    Always thought a well placed 3rd hole between the swaging and reloading modes (high & low gear) on this press would be perfect for sizing military .50 BMG brass. Then switch to reloading mode to seat the bullets if necessary. UP North should be marketing this thing to the .50 crowd. This will swage BMG bullets won't it? You could do it all on one press.
    So what is the stroke in high and low gear now ? Wondering what would be needed to get say 1.5 to 2.0 stroke to run J word bullets through a full form swing lock die....supposedly unless they are annealed first it is a " no flipping way" situation for a Rockchucker. Also if you were to build around a 2" stroke with the ram closer to the die how much shorter would the press be ?
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

http://swinglock.net/adjustablebsd.php

Here is what the swing lock die looks like
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    So what is the stroke in high and low gear now ? Wondering what would be needed to get say 1.5 to 2.0 stroke to run J word bullets through a full form swing lock die....supposedly unless they are annealed first it is a " no flipping way" situation for a Rockchucker. Also if you were to build around a 2" stroke with the ram closer to the die how much shorter would the press be ?
    Quote Originally Posted by u.p. north - Fri, 06 Jan 2012 11:55:18 -0500
    Hi,

the measurements from the bottom of the top plate to the top of the ram are.
    Ram Up Ram Down Travel
    Swaging Mode 5.000" 8.000" 3"
    Reloading Mode 3.500" 9.500" 6"
    Thanks,
    Tim (U.P. North)
    Hope this helps. I don't swage or own a fifty I'm just a huge fanboy. I'm @ the end of my expertise here. If the Swinglock guys are doing .416 bullets on a Redding Ultra Mag surely the Aneat's could do a fifty. Someone else will have to run with this one, I have the itch but not the scratch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 20nickels View Post
    Hope this helps. I don't swage or own a fifty I'm just a huge fanboy. I'm @ the end of my expertise here. If the Swinglock guys are doing .416 bullets on a Redding Ultra Mag surely the Aneat's could do a fifty. Someone else will have to run with this one, I have the itch but not the scratch.
    Actually I will be full forming .416 bullets, but not for a swinglock rifle, but will use the swinglock die. The 3" stroke will be about right maybe for sizing bullets. The 5" distance can be changed in swage mode with the bullet pusher that will thread into the ram, I'm thinking ?
    Both ends WHAT a player

I would be interested in buying one if someone is making an extra. Please Pm me if so. I am skilled enough to make one but as a retired Vet I no longer have the resources I used to. So id like to purchase one or help build one if someone is close to me. Thanks Woody

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, finally read to start press number two. I plan on making it a lot shorter. I had to add a set of holes on the support bars and made the shell holder adapter about 3" long. I use 7/8th threads on both, but use the lee cast shell holder adapter. I plan to tac welding the top, bottom, and guide plate before drilling and center drill the guide bars slightly off center so you rotate them until you find the sweet spot that allows everything to move smoothly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	58238
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by toolz568; 01-11-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Boolit Mold
    does anyone swage full metal jackets?
    aldol
    over 100 guns

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by aldol View Post
    does anyone swage full metal jackets?
    I'm not sure if you are looking for somebody that swages jacket for sale as in commercial. If so the answer to your question is yes, there is a few companies out there.

Just a thought on the spring, how about a desiel valve spring from a junk yard for heavy equipment?
    great thrd guys. I have set here and read the whole thing nonstop. Also if you all make a top plate for 7/8-14 dies and later want bigger whole just make another plate to swop out. The cold roll plate is pretty cheap.
    Thanks for all your input to this thread.

Its easier to stick with the bigger thread, and make adapter/reducer with big and small threads. Thats what i will be doing anyway.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Mold
    I'm almost done with my press. Last few details are cutting the ram to final length, order bushings for ram and order a ram spring. I don't have dies yet so these details are a bit difficult to figure. Anybody got any suggestions on the spring length or ram length?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	62687

Boolit Mold

Post New model of press

I wanted to play with the model to check operation, so I modeled everything. I'll probably do some new prints at some point as well (no promises though)
    There were a few changes I made so far, most based on posts from other users.

• Added second set of holes 4" down to the toggle links for a shorter ram to top plate distance
    • Moved the cross brace for the link arms down 1"
    • Lengthened the arm to 27" to clear the top of the press
    • Added set screw holes to the toggle arms for holding dowel pins in
    • Added flats to the arm where the set screw holds it at the toggle bar
    • Changed from a threaded end on the arm to a tapped hole and 1.5" set screw

The file is an e-Drawing (think PDF for CAD models) e-drawings viewer download
    This allows viewing of the 3D assembly, rotation, measurement, STL file export, show/hide, 3 configurations 3", 3" with short links, 6" strokes. The 6" stroke has an animation.
    CB Swag Press v2.1.zip

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast