Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Bub
    What size are you guys making the slot in the ram?

Boolit Mold
    i could not find the size for the slot listed, so i made it .500" . looks like it will work.

Boolit Buddy

Slot size

It's buried and it's 3/8". It is #194 on page 19.

Ogotz
    Last edited by toolz568; 02-27-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added page #

Boolit Mold
    thank you ogots. i looked twice and did not see that. oh well, if i break it i have enough bar stock left to make another one.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ogotz View Post
    It's buried and it's 3/8". It is #194 on page 19.

Ogotz
    Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    Press problems,

I finished my press and attempted to swage my first bullet. It did not work. The ram fell short by about an inch and that is after adding a one inch adapter to the ram. The press has 6” of full swing and I am using BT Sniper’s dies and adapted the ejector to fit the press (1 inch adapter). I need more force at the bottom of the swing and just don't have it. I read that ANeat made the first press with 18” toggle bars and it looks like he may of had an 18” ram. (If this is not correct, please say so) This short setup would have been better for me. I figure I can drill another set of holes on the toggle bar and this should more than make up the difference. Is anyone else having this problem?

I drilled another set of holes three inches down and moved the ram to the second set of holes. I finally started making bullets. The next task is to make a base that will not flex. This thing is huge and the force flexes my bench when I use it.
    Last edited by toolz568; 03-11-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added additional information

Boolit Mold

Dies

I have been foolowing this thread and am about ready to start building my own press. But I have a question. I want to make my own dies to be used to swage pure lead Paper Patched bullets. Are there any threads here talking about that or does anybody know how to do it?

Any you guys have one for sale?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Any you guys have one for sale?
    I should in a couple weeks. I'm building two, one for myself and an extra.

Boolit Master
    Have been working on mine for a while now, it's coming along. I am at the point now that I need to make a stand for it in order to proceed further. I am making two, the other is not as far along as this one. here is an old pic, should take another to show further progress and a change I made in the long arms.

The bolt seen sticking out from the top plate behind the handle is actually a pin removal tool. I drilled the pivot pins with a 9/32" drill for 75% of it's length, then drilled the rest with a #7 drill and tapped it 1/4-20. This allowed me to use the bolt to remove the pins simply by screw the bolt in which pushes the pin out. During assembly I found that very handyl.
    Last edited by dragonrider; 04-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy
    <<<jealous..

Boolit Buddy
    does anyone have a copy of the plans?
    this link does not seem to work.

http://mattmorgan.org/cb_press_v2.pdf
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Boolit Mold
    My server is down. There should be a copy posted in this thread somewhere.

Matt

Boolit Buddy
    "My server is down"

found them on page 10.

time to get some steel
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Boolit Bub
    Finally getting some real progress done on mine. (getting some dies provided great motivation!)

Why bother with four jaw chucks and bis taps when you can just mill the 1/2-12 threads?
    Before:

After:

I also made two extra 1/2-12 to 7/8-14 adapters if anyone wants to trade some brass or lead for one PM me.

Boolit Buddy

So I look at the Corbin presses, both David and Richards and I think, ok, that is fair, they had development costs and so on, makes sense that they would want a fair price for their products. Then I goes to the bank account and low and behold there is not enough there to buy all the stuff I want to buy from these very smart guys. No sweat, I will just build a press,,,right? OK, I have the means and the knowledge and probably even the material. So I start designing this press in my head, and this goes on for a couple of weeks just like every big project I do, then it is pretty much built in my head which is how I design everything I build all the way from my wooden escapement clock to my scratchbuilt CNC Mill. Even before I buy any material or cut anything to length, I have it built upstairs. Then I build it, and it looks pretty much exactly like I had envisioned it except for the occasional whoops. So when I stumbled across this awesome thread about two hours ago, I was very disappointed. I was very disappointed that I hadn't done nearly as good a job on my pre-game design as ANeat has done. Hats off to ANeat and mattm for doing a great service to all who are interested in building one of these. You guys did a great thing here. Thank you very much. Thanks also to those of you who have built this press and shared pictures with us. I will post pics when mine is done.

Boolit Bub
    Has anyone modified one of these presses to run CSP-1 dies?

The ram thread reducer is gravy, but I'm unsure how the ejection dies are held in the ram on te CSP-1 presses.

Boolit Master
    Hey guys; Just wanted to stop in and say hello, havent been on the forum much.

Also wanted to say thanks to the guys for showing the pics of the press they are building. You folks are doing some fantastic work.

I had a lot of input from other members when we were discussing building something like this and that helped make the press turn out so well from the beginning.

My original press is still in use and holding up just fine Im happy to say. Havent broken or had to replace anything.
    I did end up re-shaping a lot of hard cast bullets and added the 2nd handle so I use both hands on the really though stuff.

Boolit Mold
    just wanted to say i am new here but i have been reading with great interest , i have just started cutting all my parts for this great build and i will add to the post with my addition ,thanks in advance and i cant wait to start swaging, wayne

Boolit Buddy
    A small air/hyd rig should not run over $100. We use 20 and 30 ton rigs but you could get by with much less power. Retraction might have to be assisted also. Thanks for the pics and info. Needing a 50 press ASAP myself. May just go simple with an Arbor press as I will not be loading many with it.

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast