Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Bub
    Really nice work.On your press design I notice that it takes a very long top punch holder. What is the reasoning behind that as it seems the longer they are, the harder it would be to machine hole thru them and also make them more flexible..

Nearly done! I've threaded the top plate and created the adapter plug since taking this pic. Just need to bend the handle and finish machining the ram.

If I make a second press, I think I'm going to use bolts to assemble the toggle assembly. My mill is the smallest knee mill and it barely fit. I had to cut the 1/2" drill bit down and had to keep moving the table back and forth to change bits. Everything aligned in the end though. Would also use ground shaft instead of stress-proof as it required a lot of polishing.

Still no luck finding a spring...

Done!

Boolit Master
    Looks nice...do you have any dies for it?

Thanks!

No, I haven't made any yet for it. I had just started toying with a few things on the Co-ax before I came across these plans. I made a simple de-rimming die for it:

.22 WMR de-rimmed and sized, lead fishing sinker, sinker after being pushed through the die, one that I trimmed the flash off of and copper plated.

I made a spoon cutter from a carbide glass drill bit I picked up at the hardware store by grinding one side off of it with a diamond Dremel cutting disk I got at Harbor Freight.

Tested in in a piece of scrap material, then pushed a sinker into it with a piece of bar stock. It was undersized and lead flowed around it, but I ended up with a nicely shaped ogive and the finish was pretty good. No polishing was done to the "die".

Boolit Buddy
    Where do you get the 1 1/2-12 and or 1 1/4-12 to 7/8-14 reducer bushing?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kombayotch View Post
    Thanks!

.22 WMR de-rimmed and sized, lead fishing sinker, sinker after being pushed through the die, one that I trimmed the flash off of and copper plated.
    How did you copper plate it

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stealthshooter View Post
    Where do you get the 1 1/2-12 and or 1 1/4-12 to 7/8-14 reducer bushing?
    ............Probably made it himself. Or you can get them from CH-4D. Maybe even Lee, RCBS and Lyman ight offer them. They all have presses that use them.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

For the bushing, check out Lee Precision, they use 1.25"-12 to 0.875"-14 reducer bushings on their .50 BMG Classic Cast press so the standard 0.875"-14 dies will fit. The Lee Breach-Lock bushing is not that size, though.

rl 1018
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Vendor Sponsor

TRG22: I am impressed that you were the one that figured out to knock all the sharp edges off your press parts. Well done. Tools made from steel, especiallly heavy pieces of steel ,do tend to bite, and running your body into a sharp corner while working just ruins the experience. Also well done on the Torrinton rollers bearings,,, nice touch.

I have a Burr-Beaver chamfering machine I use on stuff like this, but the radius' are a better solution, and a corner rounding end mill is not a great expense.

This is the most complete and informative thread I have seen on this board, and the level of information on the subject is incredible. Anyone with the machinery can make this stuff as it is simple and strait forward. Especially with the excellent drawings provided.

I had not even considered making swaged bullets for a long time as cast do pretty much what I want to do. I was interested a few years ago, but the tooling costs and amount of tooling was prohibative. But I can build a press (when I get a chance) and since I printed the drawings for the Press along with the Revs, and the drawings for the dies as well, I might just get to this sooner than later.

Thanks to all contributors.

There was a guy on Ebay this week 11/22/11 that was selling a new made copy of what appeared to be a Dunbar Reloading Press, so the idea of producing a swaging press for those who don't have the skills or resources could work as a low volumn money maker.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-27-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by BwBrown View Post
    In my area, buying materials in small bits is a problem. While twenty foot lengths is way over the top, I can do much of the machine work, grinding, reaming, drilling and tapping, painting or power coating.

I submit that it could be made available at several levels and cost points:

1) a cut materials package - perhaps in the 200 dollar range?
    2) a milled and drilled package
    3) fully machined, drilled and tapped, polished, etc. ready for paint or powder coat
    4) fully assembled ready to mount and work - probably 600 dollars or more
    5) additional options - powder vs. paint vs. chrome, roller bearings in the toggles, could be additional cost to stage 3 and above

Depending on our individual DIY skills and personal funds we all would have it available in one form or another. While some will be "prettier" than others, pretty is as pretty does.

Not having production grade machines, I'd be among the first to send off a deposit on a #1 or #2 package above. Whoever does it, BE SURE to cover your time - if it becomes a burden, it will be just one more short lived project which benefits no-one.

I love this site!
    Bob
    Has anyone come up with figures?

or a kit of sorts?

Would somone be willing to do some machining?

Didn't kow if anyone had followed this up. If not I wil hit the local machine shop up and see what they would charge for doing the top plate, center plate and cams along with the ram. Basically a kit that would need some diy and maybe a few bolts or bushings.
    Gravity is not just a good idea........ ITS THE LAW!!!
    How can i soar like an Eagle.... When I am surrounded by Turkeys!!!!

Boolit Master

thanks. I must have missed that thread
    Gravity is not just a good idea........ ITS THE LAW!!!
    How can i soar like an Eagle.... When I am surrounded by Turkeys!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Everything is in and I am starting, but I'm not sure why I would cut a 1 1/2-12 instead of a 1 1/4-12 ( In the top Plate). I have found the reducer for the 1 1/4-12 but not the other. I figured I could use the Hornady LAL conversion kit for reloading and the Lee bushing for swaging. Does anyone see anthing wrong with this logic?

I only want to cut this once.
    Last edited by toolz568; 02-13-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Boolit Master

sounds like a good plan to me its always easier to make it bigger than smaller. You can take metal out but its pretty tough to put it back when its gone.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok I know zero about swaging, had no idea anyone made a press to make jacketed. Still don't understand some of the nomenclature. BUT... This is now on my list of incredible things to do. Just spent hours reading the the whole thread, bookmarking sites, printing cut lists and plans. Most of my machine time is repair and replace parts on farm equipment and making obsolete gun parts. This is an incredible thread that may well have gathered another convert on the merit of the thread alone!!!
    Compromise is giving up something you are unwilling to fight for! ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ www.concealedcarryofarkansas.com

Boolit Buddy
    Is there enough steel in the top of the rams diameter to thread 1-1/4" -12? Considering LNL conversion bushing for the ram. Looks like it would make it mighty thin at that point but should be fully supported right???
    EDIT; Hornady's description for the conversion bushing was incorrect. It is actually 1-1/2" so no, it won't work.
    Last edited by 20nickels; 01-17-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: new info

Quote Originally Posted by mactool View Post
    How did you copper plate it
    Root killer solution, a copper electrode and a power supply. It's fairly easy to do. There are some youtube vids of people doing it in a really crude way. To do it accurately, you need the correct current density, which is to say a certain amount of current per surface area. The figure I got from a chemist friends was 3.7-5.4 A/dm^2.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok,

I keep looking at the guide plate and was wondering if I should reduce the diameter of the top 1" of the ram by a 1/16 to give the guide plate a shelf to sit on or is the 3/8" bolt enough to keep it from slipping. I know there is not pressure on this, am I over thinking this?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ogotz View Post
    Ok,

I keep looking at the guide plate and was wondering if I should reduce the diameter of the top 1" of the ram by a 1/16 to give the guide plate a shelf to sit on or is the 3/8" bolt enough to keep it from slipping. I know there is not pressure on this, am I over thinking this?
    Neat idea, I don't see how it could hurt. It's just another machining process and may reduce any unseen movement.