RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Master

marten

First off welcome.

there is a couple of good threads in this section for using drill bushings and dowel pins to make the derimmer die. You might do a search for 22 derim die to see what comes up.

Boolit Master
    Hi
    Can someone tell me what tap I need for this press(Aneats),what drill I need?
    I know it's 7/8x14 tpi,but is it UNF or UNC?? That is to put BT Snipers swagging dies in it or any others I might get.
    TIA
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Master
    7/8-14 is UNF here is a cool link for you. http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-standard.htm
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    7/8x14 is what it is. The UNC and UNF is just a designation of which set of taps to get out to find it. I do think it is NC, but if you ask for it by the numbers, you will get what you need.

If you're going to drill and tap the ram, my Corbin S press and many others use 5/8x24. That one I think would be NF.

Corbin taps their larger press at 1.5x12 and 1x12 - again NC and NF respectively. You would then use a bushing to reduce the existing holes to the needed size. The advantage to the larger top hole will enable you to stack the parts and drill/ream them out together - might yield better alignment depending on your machine and layout.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    7/8-14 is UNF here is a cool link for you. http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-standard.htm

Thanks for that mate
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BwBrown View Post
    7/8x14 is what it is. The UNC and UNF is just a designation of which set of taps to get out to find it. I do think it is NC, but if you ask for it by the numbers, you will get what you need.

If you're going to drill and tap the ram, my Corbin S press and many others use 5/8x24. That one I think would be NF.

Corbin taps their larger press at 1.5x12 and 1x12 - again NC and NF respectively. You would then use a bushing to reduce the existing holes to the needed size. The advantage to the larger top hole will enable you to stack the parts and drill/ream them out together - might yield better alignment depending on your machine and layout.
    BwBrown
    Thanks for the info,but I'm tapping the top plate for 7/8x14 reloading dies and the swagging dies,if I have misunderstood you,forget what I just said
    Cheers

no34570

Boolit Buddy
    "I'm tapping the top plate for 7/8x14 reloading dies and the swagging dies"

That will certainly work well. Probably 90% (I made that up but might it might by close) of all reloading presses are 7/8x14.

Early presses went with a larger top plate threaded hole to accommodate larger (shotshell) dies, then used a bushing to accommodate the smaller (standard) 7/8x14 rifle and handgun dies. While my early Herter presses were done this way, I never had opportunity to use a larger format die.

I think that the Corbin CSP-2 press uses a 1.5" threaded top die (which would accommodate larger dies such as 50 BMG) I think their M dies are 1.5 inch - maybe someone who know more can enlighten this point - I've never seen or held any of these in my hand.
    Keep us up to date with your progress.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    BwBrown
    I'll keep you all updated,just waiting to hear back from my mate about the steel(if he got it),so it is a slow process
    Cheers

no34570

Boolit Mold

Motivation to build one

This is a great thread, it motivated me to start building one based off the Walnut Hill press I have from RCE. Its a bit smaller than the moster some of the others are building, but thats ok. I have a long way to go, but man this is fun.

Below are just a few quick pics on the mill squaring up the top plate in preperation for the grinder for some clean up work.

Clint

Hey cookie, how you doing?

Great work you are doing. Keep it coming.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Mold

I'm building one as well

Here is few pictures of my progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_4436.jpg   DSC_4441.jpg   DSC_4439.jpg   DSC_4347.jpg   DSC_4344.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TRG22 View Post
    TRG...

They don't get much purtier than that!
    Nicely radiused edges, roller bearings - Great work.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Will the roller brearings hold up to the pressure? McMaster Carr list the dynamic load at 1550 for a 1/2 x .687 needle bearing. I can go with a bronze bushing with a much higher load rating, It just wont be as smooth. Thanks Coleman

Boolit Mold
    I'm not into swagging bullets yet. I'm building this press to reload my 50BMG cartridges. I'm fed up with the Hornady press I'm using right now. I'm hoping to get into swagging bullets in the near future.
    I made my tpggle links .75" thick instead .50". The bearings I am using are Timken B-1212 that have a Dynamic load rating 4930 lbf. The ram has two of the Timken B-1010 that have a Dynamic load rating 3680 lbf each. If these are not strong enough for swagging bullets. I can always replace them with bronze bushings or build a second press using bronze bushings instead. I wonder if there is somebody here that could actually do load calculations for us and post it here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TRG22 View Post
    That is work you have done,I'm jealous!
    Cheers

no34570

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by coleman View Post
    Will the roller brearings hold up to the pressure? McMaster Carr list the dynamic load at 1550 for a 1/2 x .687 needle bearing. I can go with a bronze bushing with a much higher load rating, It just wont be as smooth. Thanks Coleman
    I wonder why you would thing bronze bushings are not "smooth"? If you keep them clean and lubed, they are about as smooth as it gets. You could also cast them from babbit but I don't know if they would hold up to the force.
    The little needles in needle bearings concentrate the force onto a very tiny area of the pivots and the toggle links that can cause them to make small dings in the parts that look like a washboard road.
    Things that rock, work extremely well with bronze bushings.
    I have worked for over 50 years on everything from giant ball mills that run in bronze bearings to 2 smoke engines which use roller bearings.
    I would go with bronze with a zerk fitting.

Wow! This is great! Thanks for posting this! I just went out and got the materials for the plates today. I'm going to build one of these.

If I can make a suggestion, a list of screws, pins, bushings, etc... in the op (like you did for the steel) would be handy.

I put together a small parts list for this press:

5x Cup Point Socket Set Screw 1/4"-20 Thread, 3/16" or 1/4" Length
    1x Cup Point Socket Set Screw 3/8"-16 Thread, 1/4" Length
    1x Cup Point Socket Set Screw 3/8"-16 Thread, 5/8" Length
    4x Grade 8 Alloy Steel Hex Head Bolt, 1/4"-20 Thrd, 1-3/4" L, Fully Threaded
    4x Flat Washer 1/4" Screw Size
    4x Grade 8 Alloy Steel Hex Head Bolt, 1/2"-20 Thrd, 2" L, Fully Threaded
    4x Flat Washer 1/2" Screw Size
    1x Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 1-1/2" Shaft Diameter, 1-3/4" OD, 1" Length
    2x Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 1" Shaft Diameter, 1-1/4" OD, 1" Length
    1x Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 5/8" OD, 1-1/4" Length
    4x Dowel Pin 1/2" Diameter, 2" Length
    1x Dowel Pin 1/2" Diameter, 3" Length
    1x Spring (specs?)
    1x Ball handle (source?)

If you aren't welding the toggle assembly:
    12x High-Strength Socket Cap Screw, 1/4"-20 Thread, 1-3/4" Length

Am I missing anything?

For the ball handle, hobby stores sell hardwood ball knobs with a hole pre-drilled in them.

But, I haven't had any luck tracking down a spring...

Boolit Mold

Cast Toggle Assembly

I have been following this link for some time. Very interested in making a press for swagging.

Is there any interest in the possibility of obtaining a casting for the toggle assembly?

There is a foundry close to me and I am planning on getting a quote for casting the assembly. They have the capability to cast in 80k steel, the same as the Walnut Hill.

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast