RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Master
    Been working my tail off on the press. Just have to weld up the toggle bar and fine tune a few things then it is teardown time for powdercoat. FUN project and thanks to all with the excellent info!!

Hey Aneat; whats the purpose of the spring in Corbins design?

Boolit Master
    The spring retracts the ejector pin/bottom punch. I never got around to adding one on my press but I probably should. Ive been retracting it by hand for now or using a die set where it doesent really matter

Boolit Buddy
    ANEAT, I finish my second press now, and want to test it out, since I have never did any swaging, but would like to make my own dies, in .308 since its a larger size than say .224 and easier to work, do you have any sketches or prints that you have used on this press? That you would be willing to share.

Thanks; Sprink

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkintime View Post
    ANEAT, I finish my second press now, and want to test it out, since I have never did any swaging, but would like to make my own dies, in .308 since its a larger size than say .224 and easier to work, do you have any sketches or prints that you have used on this press? That you would be willing to share.

Thanks; Sprink
    +1 lol as if you haven't helped enough. Thank you.

Boolit Master
    Sprink, you made 2 presses? where are the pics??

I found these plans on another forum, not mine but will give you an idea. A set like this with a flat top and bottom would be your core swage die

A set with no squirt hole, a flat bottom, change the top punch to fit inside the jacket and you have the core seat die.

Boolit Mold

I need some help !

I have built a press that's more like the mega-mite does anyone have inside dimensions for the ram I guessed at it I think the inside bore is to deep and my slot is to long. I can make a new ram with the right dimensions. I may have to start a second press now that i found this site. I guess you can never have to many presses.

Thanks

Spring Addition

Aneat; do you have an idea of the spring needed? McMaster-Carr has a boatload.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression...prings/=c4al7j

Boolit Mold

Ram Spring

The spring I used is 3.5" long relaxed .125" wire with 6 coils. I think it needs to be heavier , it will not retract the ejector pin always, but that was a start for me I found the spring. maybe someone with a mega-mite can answer this along with my question on the ram dimensions.

Boolit Master
    Do we have the plans for this press in metric?
    I found an engineer that works in metric(Australia)????
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by no34570 View Post
    Do we have the plans for this press in metric?
    I found an engineer that works in metric(Australia)????
    I would steer WELL away from any 'engineer' that cant work in imperial/

Boolit Master
    Hopefully the engineer knows how to convert, if not there are some tables here http://toolbar.inbox.com/lp/lpu.aspx...n%20calculator
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Probably like people here, don't want to. I think he is on the sensible side. If we went metric it would be great.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Master

on the use of SI units in the US, I agree we should be using it and it is federal and state law in most cases. It is just hard to make the change. but everyone can do base 10 numbers, some people can not grasp the fractional measurements on a tape measure.

Look up the metric cnversion act of 1975, it was ammended in 1988, 1996, and 2004. Maybe a few more times also. It has been a while since I researched the topic.

Anyway just thought I would add some not very useful info.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    He told me,he can work in both,but it is easier for getting the right sort of steel in metric,as it is here it is all in metric??
    Tell the truth,I don't know?

He is a mate,that I thought just did welding,when I told him about what I wanted,he said he will help,I just buy the steel and he will put it together,no charge.(only a few beers)
    His original job back in the UK was welding and engineering for a Gas company,he has his lathes and milling machines here.
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Quote Originally Posted by no34570 View Post
    He told me,he can work in both,but it is easier for getting the right sort of steel in metric,as it is here it is all in metric??
    Tell the truth,I don't know?

He is a mate,that I thought just did welding,when I told him about what I wanted,he said he will help,I just buy the steel and he will put it together,no charge.(only a few beers)
    His original job back in the UK was welding and engineering for a Gas company,he has his lathes and milling machines here.
    You could become a wealthy man ! He doesn't need to know that there are only 2 toggles per press ! It may actually need 50 and it stands to reason that if 1 ram is good 25 rams should make your press at least 25 times " gooder "

conversion made easy

use "convert" from Josh Madison, who has for years supplied to those of us doing conversions every other day.
    http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blaser.306 View Post
    You could become a wealthy man ! He doesn't need to know that there are only 2 toggles per press ! It may actually need 50 and it stands to reason that if 1 ram is good 25 rams should make your press at least 25 times " gooder "
    I think he would wake up to that,if I said I want that many made
    Cheers

no34570

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    use "convert" from Josh Madison, who has for years supplied to those of us doing conversions every other day.
    http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
    Thanks for that one,I downloaded it and will use it myself
    Cheers

no34570

New here!
    Hi all from the UK!

Definitely will build this press!
    As for 'convert' been using it for years!!!!

personally messing around machining a rimfire jacket straightener at the moment.
    will have to seriously look at making some swage dies....