WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

BT,
    I'm working on building the press right now. Thanks a million to all who have put their time and effort in this and especially for sharing all they know.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dngunsmithing View Post
    BT,
    I'm working on building the press right now. Thanks a million to all who have put their time and effort in this and especially for sharing all they know.

Dave

BT?? Youre welcome

ANeat, it goes without saying you're leading the way and thank you. The list of names could go on and on. I like to consider this a team. The cast boolits team. And a great site this is. And i am glad i've found you guys and you've let me in to learn. My head just spins as this great site has a vast amount of infomation that i've just barely uncovered and i am so excited to be learning this great art. And am glad you all are willing to share this information so freely.

o.k... enough kissing *ss!:kissarse:

No seriously thanks to all.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Seriously Dave Im thrilled to hear youre building one. Its great to see guys put there own touches into it

Be sure and put some pics up here when youre finished

ANeat I will post pics when done. It will be the same built as per the prints. Once I get used to it I am sure to build more with what i learn. One can never have enough presses! As you suggested I'll be using speedy metals stressproof polished rods.

Dave

Boolit Master
    got most of the metal rounded up for mine except the 1" thick base base plate(bigger than what the guy had) and the long toggle arms.. Best thing is I got all of it for FREE!! Just have to order a pc for the base plate-long toggles-brass bushing and machining will start. GREAT thread..

Boolit Master
    I so wish I had the skill and tools to build one of these. My Lee press just can't take the stress of swaging. Maybe I can talk one of my buddies into making one for me.

Awesome work and thanks for sharing ANeat.

Boolit Buddy
    I was wondering if there was an advantage to the long links that go all the way to the top as apposed to ones that would be shorter like the corbin. IE redding ultra mag vs rock chucker.

Boolit Master
    Tom there is a advantage for sure, lets use this pic since the Lee has the links attatched to the base,

Say youre leaning on the handle swaging something.

On the Lee press, or any press with the short links, youre basicly trying to pull the links out of the base (they are in tension) while at the same time your trying to shove whatever into the die, putting the "O" part of the frame under tension as well.

With the links going all the way to the top youre sharing the load between the links and the press frame,

In our application its probably overkill, and you could easily re-design the press to have shorter links, the base would need to be made different to accomodate mounting the liknks somehow and both corbins make presses each way

Here are two examples from Richard Corbin http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=products&grp=36

Boolit Buddy
    I really appreciate it. I am going to machine my press before to long. I was going to use smaller links in order to make the press look more streamlined. I do want the press to take as little effort to swage as possible. I am not sure what others want in a press but I might do a small run when I make mine to make the setup of my machines worth while. I was thinking about using 3/4 inch plate instead of 1 inch. I can have them laser cut that way.

Boolit Master
    Even scaled down it will be a heck of a press. Certainly build it for what you need.

Heck if you crank out a smaller version I might even be interested in one....

If you start playing around with scaling everything down and need anything just PM me or put it up here

Boolit Buddy
    sounds good thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I need to know how wide the slot in the ram is supposed to be. I got started on the rams today. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    It just needs to be a loose fit for the 1/4" pin that holds the bottom punch.

I think I just used a 3/8 endmill on mine.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
    I was wondering if there was an advantage to the long links that go all the way to the top as apposed to ones that would be shorter like the corbin. IE redding ultra mag vs rock chucker.
    Actually it is pretty pretty simple.
    Put pics of an example of each side by side.
    The two part answer is: rigidity and strength. The long links eliminate any and all spring.
    Bob
    Last edited by BwBrown; 04-17-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ANeat View Post
    It just needs to be a loose fit for the 1/4" pin that holds the bottom punch.

I think I just used a 3/8 endmill on mine.
    Thank you. I was going to use a 3/8 but I thought I would check.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BwBrown View Post
    Actually it is pretty sretty simple.
    Put pics of an example of each side by side.
    The two part answer is: rigidity and strength. The long links eliminate any and all spring.
    Bob
    Huh I was thinking that there would be more play and racking because they are longer. I would think that they would have more flex and more spring?

Boolit Buddy
    When swaging, the long links are under tension.
    The tolerances of the guide rods should eliminate racking.
    Assuming things are built in alignment, these are beautiful presses.

Oh, how I want one! Been saving my pennies.

The only thing that can go wrong is for a link end to blow off. Replacement would be a piece of cake.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 handles on mine, and can put my entire body weight on them, nothing is going to break.

But yes, in a worse case condition it would be a pretty easy replacement

will one of these work with the press?

http://www.reloaders.com/index.php?m...419b3fbfd124af

I thought this link interesting as Ponsness Warren makes good equipment too. Seems that the hydraulic pump is the costly item here.

Prior to Alcoa I ran an R&D coating pilot line; where we did everything via hydraulics in our coating line gravure stacks. I've got a friend looking into what it would take using a 2 x 6" cylinder at the right stroke with a pump. These guys have to be getting theirs cheaply.

I'm doing one of the forum swaging press as well; thanks to all the forum contributors who have helped define this.

I joined as a paid contributor due to the amount of info thats available here for the enterprising gun nut to soak up.

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast