RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: papper patching

44woody

papper patching

I am getting a 472 gr Improved minie mould for my 58 cal bp (1) can i paper patch that round (2) if so what should I use for the paper (3) is there any bad effects on the gun using paper patching thanks in advance for any help 44Woody

Quote Originally Posted by 44woody
    I am getting a 472 gr Improved minie mould for my 58 cal bp (1) can i paper patch that round (2) if so what should I use for the paper (3) is there any bad effects on the gun using paper patching thanks in advance for any help 44Woody
    I messed around some with PP minnes years ago.I found that using a mould that droped out at bore size an sizing to .001-.002 under that was a better way for me to go.If you have more windage than that then PP would be a good way to get up to that bore size.I was using regular bond paper for my attemps.I would guess that using any of the cartridge info would apply.I think that PP would be better on the long range stuff. How do you plan on lubing?I folded the paper into the bases then lubed the cavity.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Super Moderator

............A friend of mine who lives in Alabama does his deer hunting with military type muzzle loaders including a Whitworth. He had sent me a whole bunch of cast Minie's from a mould designed for paper patching. I used 9lb paper and they dried at .580" which is exactly what my P58 Enfield is.

I tried everything and danged if I could get those things to group fer beans. I had scaled the Minie's and probed the base with a jeweler's screwdriver (looking for voids). I did use measured charges vs scaled but this rifle has always been a superb shooter fed what it wants, and all it wants is 2 things. A slug large enough to not wobble in the muzzle and a charge with sufficient presure to upset the skirts.

I tried some pretty ferocious loads but no joy with the patched slugs. Thinking about it I wondered if the .013" deep grooves at the breech might not have had something to do with it? Or since the grooves get shallower toward the muzzle maybe THAT did something bad?

I had a Zouave that may have performed with the patched Minie', but I had loaned it to a friend's son to use, so it wasn't in my posession at the time. I was thinking that possibly the tough paper might help the slug grip the rifling with very heavy charges, but it sure wouldn't do anything about blown skirts at the muzzle. Guess a smaller cavity pin might be called for, but it's moot as those slugs are long gone.

...................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance