WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Cookie cutters

Boolit Buddy

Cookie cutters

This is a very newbie question but I have heard of cookie cutters but to tell you the truth I don't quite understand what to use. I am having problems with lube sticking to the boolits. I have tried room temp boolits, preheated boolits at 180*, and putting boolits in the holes of the cake then putting the pan in the oven to remelt. So far the remelt in the oven in the only operation that has worked so far. So I figured it is time to figure out the cookie cutter. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Grand Master
    See if this helps. Some people call them Kake Cutters :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34058

Boolit Master
    A "kake kutter" doesn't need to be more complex than a thin wall tube, with the inside diameter slightly larger that your boolits cast diameter. A close fit is good, but be sure your boolits pass inside the tube without hanging up. It helps to chamfer / bevel the tube to create an edge.

To use, after your lube cake with boolits has cooled to solidify, push the tube down over each boolit, until it touches the bottom of the pan. The beveled edge cuts the lube around the boolit. The boolit will tend to stay in the tube. Some people use a dulled nail to push the boolit back out of the tube. I use a short, open on both ends tube, and just let the boolits push each other out the back end of the tube.

Some people use a fired case (not resized) as a cutter, with the primer pocket drilled out to allow a nail to fit.

With some practice, you may find a "sweet spot" as far as when to cut. With my lube, it works best while still warm. It's alot harder to cut if I wait till cold.

Hope this helps.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Master
    Thought I'd pass this tip that I got on this forum -- a golf club shank is tapered. Use a tubing cutter to cut it exactly where it will just fit over your boolits, and you can cut them out of the wax, ready for the sizer.

In fact, if you leave it long, you can stack up a bunch of them in the shank before having to empty it.