Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Savage Model 40-22 Hornet

Boolit Master at heavens range

Savage Model 40-22 Hornet

Genltemen: I ordered a Sav. model- 40 in 22 Hornet last week, Just for cast bullets, Has anybody done it yet, Thanks- Smokemjoe

Super Moderator

................I'll sure be interested in hearing about it!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    Me too. I want one of those pretty badly, but more projects than I can handle well right now.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

In Remebrance

I want a Contender Carbine in 22 Hornet. My budget won't even get me a used H+R. But, I look forward to hearing about the Savage. Good luck and report in soon.

Boolit Bub
    I have not tried a rifle yet but would like to.

I do shoot a 10 inch Hornet barrel for Hunter Pistol Silhouette and I use cast for that.

4.5 gr of W231 with a RCBS GS 55 gr bullet gives me really good accuracy and about 1650 fps

I use a Lyman 225450 with 3.7 gr of Titegroup or 4 gr of W231 for the same velocity. Accuracy is good with the 231 and excellant with the titegroup.

I use gas checks on both bullets. I tried without and accuracy was non-exhistant.

I would like to know how you do,
    Sixgun

Boolit Master

Got one last week!

Haven't had her to the range yet but she shore is purty! I'm looking for a scope, not sure what I might have around but I'm not adverse to buying one as well.

My quandry, should I run a couple of hundred J-word's through the bore to smooth it up, fire-lap it or just go for broke with some silver slugs?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by six_gun
    I have not tried a rifle yet but would like to.

I do shoot a 10 inch Hornet barrel for Hunter Pistol Silhouette and I use cast for that.
    Sixgun
    The 10" hornet in a contender has been a real hoot to play with. I would really love to try it during predator calling. Iffn Kansas allowed it, it would be the bee's Knees for turkeys.

I wrapped up working with my Dad's 1891 Mauser and should be able to get back to the contender. Still need to get some soft lead for hunting bullets for the .41 .
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Buddy
    TD,

I would shoot some J's through it first. I bought a Win Legacy in .44 mag at the first of the year. I loaded up a bunch of jacketed bullits. I shot one then cleaned 5x. Then fired 2 then cleaned 2-3x. By then it seemed as if the barrel was smoothing out and it was getting easier to clean. Since then I have only put lead down the bore. It is shooting great. Last Friday I shot a 1/2" group with a 250gn RCBS K boolit and a 3/4" group with a Lee .430 310gn boolit. Both groups were 5 shots at 25m.

BS