MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Firearms out of business?

Love Life

U.S. Firearms out of business?

I just got done perusing the 10 ring precision website, and they have a big notice stating that USFA is now out of business. So now the lifetime warranty is null and void. I find this odd since that stupid zip gun is made by USFA.

It's a bummer. I have one of their single actions and it is truly a quality firearm. Does anybody have any insight to why USFA shut their doors? I bet if they were still making single actions they would have a waiting list years long.

What gives?

Conneticut?
    Whatever!

Love Life
    They started shut down well before the shooting, disappeared for a bit, then came out with the new plastic fantastic zip gun.

I see the zip is still in the supply line so I'm just really confused.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    My advise is to try to get spare parts before they disappear.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    My advise is to try to get spare parts before they disappear.
    Screw that. I'm going to sell it and buy a Colt SAA now that they are finally coming out of the factory again. Life is to short to fool with that nonsense.

Banned

I read somewhere that the owner got bored with the firearms business. Went another direction with machining or whatever. I would like to have one of their .357s - they made nice handguns. What kind of dumb-a$$ would get out of the firearms business in this market?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    I read somewhere that the owner got bored with the firearms business. Went another direction with machining or whatever. I would like to have one of their .357s - they made nice handguns. What kind of dumb-a$$ would get out of the firearms business in this market?
    Bored?!?!?!
    Stressed, maybe. Overworked, perhaps. But to get bored with the firearms industry in this market is completely silly. It's not just AR's and AK's. Firearms of every kind are in high demand and short supply. Very strange.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Probrably tired of dealing with the fed and state mafia...
    High Hook

Boolit Grand Master

I've always liked their SAA, seemed like a good value. Zip gun bothers me, looks too much like a toy.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Love Life
    That is the screwy part. Their SAA is exquisite. They out Colted Colt, crushed Colt sales, and caused Colt SAA prices to drop. The difference between a USFA SAA and the 3rd Gens (Not including new manufacture in the last several years) is night and day.

Why they stopped making them is beyond me. Just outstanding everything about the revolvers.

Then they made the stupid zip gun...

Oh well. The new Colts are supposed to be up to snuff, and the ones I have seen posted lately have great fit and finish with vivid case HARDENING (not that case coloring garbage).

Maybe I'll keep the one I have (rare, but not vintage yet...) or maybe I'll send it down the road. Way to straight up hose down the SAA community. I think what chaps my backside the most is that wonderful lifetime warranty that...well...isn't.

Boolit Grand Master

Crazy times we're living in. Looking forward to seeing the new Colts but I'm very happy with the quality of my '70's vintage 3rd gen SAA.
    I heard rumors when USFA got started that they bought a lot of used Colt tooling. Any idea how much truth was in that rumor, Love Life?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Love Life
    I'm not sure, but they sure claimed it on their old defunct website, and all the gun rags claimed the same thing. They even built them in the Blue Dome building.

As for the 3rd Gens some I have seen were low quality, and some were danged near perfect. Didn't matter because everybody wanted a minimum of $1,600 for them...

Now you can order one from the factory for $1449+shipping. Sure glad I waited, and I would not hesitate to snap up an older 3rd gen if the price was right.

Back to USFA. I still don't get it. I guess I really don't need to since I didn't own the company, but dang!!

A fellow USFA owner on another forum posted that the owner is an attention deficit sort of flake that simply chose to shut it down to play with the ZIP gun instead. Now I can see a fella wanting to try new things but it would not have taken a big amount of thinking to post a new president of the old USFA and then move on to the new project. In the meantime USFA revolvers could have kept open and churning out their great product. Ah well.....
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I've always liked their SAA, seemed like a good value. Zip gun bothers me, looks too much like a toy.

My guess is the SAA would shoot a tighter group than the zip thing.

Banned

I have a pair of the rodeo's and the only thing on them that's a bit on the low end is their finish.
    I can just barely tell the two apart when shooting them.
    but I can tell them apart, one is just a tick rougher in the trigger pull.
    I had to shoot a couple of thousand rounds through them to really 'see' the difference though.
    I have even contemplated sending them in to be stripped and blued somewhere a time or two.
    i'm not overly worried about getting parts for a revolver that takes colt parts as direct replacements with minimal fitting.

Boolit Master
    it could be problems from their Bankers, or Colt Bankers/ share holders influencing their Bankers.

Love Life
    Good point R5R. Below is picture of what your USFA could look like...

Oh, and the super swage will be in the mail Saturday with a little surprise.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I'm not sure, but they sure claimed it on their old defunct website, and all the gun rags claimed the same thing. They even built them in the Blue Dome building.

As for the 3rd Gens some I have seen were low quality, and some were danged near perfect. Didn't matter because everybody wanted a minimum of $1,600 for them...

Now you can order one from the factory for $1449+shipping. Sure glad I waited, and I would not hesitate to snap up an older 3rd gen if the price was right.

Back to USFA. I still don't get it. I guess I really don't need to since I didn't own the company, but dang!!

Damn! I think I stole my NIB SAA, it was almost a RBH south of a new current production gun. I've been looking for a new one for well over a year, glad I waited.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I think what chaps my backside the most is that wonderful lifetime warranty that...well...isn't.
    That's the funny thing about a "lifetime warranty," it all depends on who's "lifetime" we're talking about. Apparently they are usually based on the lifetime of the company that writes them.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Bored?!?!?!
    Stressed, maybe. Overworked, perhaps. But to get bored with the firearms industry in this market is completely silly. It's not just AR's and AK's. Firearms of every kind are in high demand and short supply. Very strange.
    Yeah, there has to be more to this story.