Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Are there any boolits shorter then ~1/2"

Are there any boolits shorter then ~1/2"

I am trying (wanting) to make a slight modification to my lube sizer and I want to make it so that it will work with as many different boolits lengths as possible. I am more interested in Lee boolits, since I don't think I will be buying to many $60+ molds. Are there any booilts shorter then 0.485 (roughly a little under 1/2")?. I measured my two 9mm TL 124 grain molds and they are over 1/2." By just looking at the pictures, I think the following boolits might be shorter than 1/2."

(30 cal rifle)
    C309-113-F
    C309-120-R

(45 cal)
    452-160-RF
    452-200-RF (probably over 1/2")
    TL-452-200-SWC (probably over 1/2")

(9mm Makarov)
    365-95-1R (I don't think I will cast this one)

(9mm Luger)
    356-102-1R

(38/357)
    358-105-SWC
    358-125-RF

(32 cal)
    311-93-1R
    311-100-2R
    TL314-90-SWC
    Last edited by Marlin Hunter; 02-12-2010 at 04:45 AM. Reason: spelin

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    My 311-93-1R measures .5335" when cast of 50/50 ww/pb sized .313 in a Lyman 450 and weighs 95 gr. Thats the only one on your list that I cast.

Boolit Bub
    Ummm.... I'm kind of confused by your question Marlin. The 4500 will work with pretty near any length bullet- they don't have to be under 1/2" long. I assume you want them shorter than 1/2" so that you don't have to adjust the depth of the sizer.

Boolit Master
    I think a couple of th e"Big Lube" 45 Colt offerings may be sub .50" in height. The Johnston-Peterson PRS and the 454-160-RF come to mind.

prs

Quote Originally Posted by LVRFAN View Post
    Ummm.... I'm kind of confused by your question Marlin. The 4500 will work with pretty near any length bullet- they don't have to be under 1/2" long. I assume you want them shorter than 1/2" so that you don't have to adjust the depth of the sizer.

I am trying a modification to my luber (if it works, I will post it). I am not specifically looking for a short boolit to use. The modification I want to make work better with boolits over 1/2 inch long (~.485). If in the future I ever use a boolit shorter than 1/2", it would better to redesign my modification now while I have access to machines to make the parts.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy
    Just a thought....
    Why not take a boolit you already have and cut/file it to what you need? Not the mould mind you, just the alreay cast boolit. You should be able to cut all but one groove off your TL 124's

Banned

if i were at home i would measure a 45 colt 160 gr boolit, but from memory it is about as short as it is wide.
    that would be the one i would wory about.
    however in my stars i can lube it from the base and not re-set my pushrod from my 250 gr lyman thats very similar to the lee 250 rnfp.
    if you were doing it in a lyman or rcbs i'd think you could easily adjust the top punch a turn or so and be fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee 358-105-SWC .... .518"
    Lee 452-160-RF........ .435"

OK, this is why I wanted to know. Check out this thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...525#post816525

Boolit Master

There is a reason all boolit sizers expect you to run boolits through base first- even the Star, though it is easiest not to in a Star.

With softer or Tin alloy bullets, it is easy to leave a fin or a lower side on the base of the boolit when running them through forwards. Schuetzen guys figured this out in the late 1800's and seated boolits from the muzzle... in breech loading guns! Read Sharpe and other writers from the 30's through the 50's, you'll see they learned the same thing.

Modern Antimony rich hard bullets have this problem less, but still may have this problem. Or not. You'll have to try it and see. I would try it before investing lots of time in a custom solution. And, keep in mind the answer may change with different alloys or casting techniques.

-HF