Lee PrecisionPBcastcoWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hensley & Gibbs #107 .44 Caliber Full Wadcutter

Boolit Grand Master

Texasflyboy;
    You cannot safely use semi-wadcutter data for full wad cutter bullets. The deep seating of full wadcutters will raise pressures exponentially!

On the other hand, I don't understand Alliant's data for a 240 gr SWC with Unique AT ALL. That data is more at the level of SAAMI .44 Special level than .44 Magnum levels. Makes no sense at all.

At any rate, I have chronographed the Group Buy 200 gr dbl ended Wadcutter in my .44 Special:

5.0 grs of Red Dot gave an average of 878 fps.

For target work I reduced to 4.0 grs. As you can see (even tho' the bullet is considerably lighter than yours, that it doesn't take much powder with a full wadcutter). Your original charge of Unique was WAY overboard. I am glad you didn't hurt anything.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    I have a #50 in a 4 cavity. But I'd love to find the 44 calibre mould
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Last posting on range testing.

Seems to be no advantage to moving outside of 5.5 to 6.0 grains of Unique.

I may test later with other powders, but Unique was at hand for this test.

Range results:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

Boolit Buddy

H&g 107

I use 8 gr of 4756 under my 107B's.

Quote Originally Posted by sagamore-one View Post
    I use 8 gr of 4756 under my 107B's.
    Thanks. Good to know for the thread. This thread got me thinking about adding loads for Hensley & Gibbs designs to the website.

I have two 3" binders full of targets and load data from 15 years of experimentation, 90% of which is with Hensley & Gibbs designs.

Need to share that info....

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

Boolit Buddy
    I know that I for one would like to see that info!

I missed this thread earlier, but am glad I found it. I didn't know there was an H&G .44 wadcutter and will have to add that to my lengthy want list.

I got a Lee 44-209-WC last year, but had not used it until I got one of the Ruger .44 Specials recently. That's a FUN bullet in that caliber, let me tell ya. It feels like I'm loading a lead 5-gallon bucket into the chambers.
    I learned about that deep seating pressure thing too. I thought it would make a difference and was right. I started light, but that "light" load that should have done in the mid 600s with a normal bullet made 809 fps with the deep wadcutter.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sagamore-one View Post
    I have a 107B in 6 cavity and a friend has a "matched" pair in 6 cavity with the thick sprue plates (1/2 again as thick as my standard sprue plate). He purchased his new as a "matched " pair. I got mine used from a fellow board member.
    As cast from my mould, 190gr in #2 alloy and size .430. His are 185 and size .429.
    8 to 8.5 gr of SR4756 is my favorite load. All my Smiths love them and it shoots to point of aim in the Bulldog.
    107 is listed in my H&G brochure dated 1-11-94 with a,b and c weights explained.
    hi. do you still own and use this mold?

Boolit Master

10 year old thread. Please don't bring necro threads to life. It confuses us old guys.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Here is the information I have ion the H&G #107:

Edition – February 2010, Version 2.02 [minor corrections & edits]

Hensley & Gibbs Numerical List of Bullet Designs by Wayne Gibbs, Summer 2005
    Additions and Corrections in Italics by Tom Dugas – Summer 2005 to February 20107
    Notes by Tom Dugas (TD) appear in italics

Hensley & Gibbs Bullet moulds were available in single cavity, two cavity, three cavity (recently discovered), four cavity, six cavity, eight cavity, and ten cavity depending on caliber. An early interesting variation (mid to late 1930’s) were two cavity moulds that were flipped over and cut for two more cavities on the opposite end. This interesting 4 cavity style is featured in a separate article on the main page of the website.

Bullet Design Number:

107 – 44 Caliber (.429) “A”, “B”, & “C” lengths were available. 107A = 245 grains, 107B = 185 grains, 107C 135 grains. Moulds marked “107” appear to be the 245 grain (“A”) version. Full wadcutter style mould observed numerous times on eBay. Shape appears to be identical to #50 but in 44 caliber instead of .38 caliber. Moulds observed were plain base, three grease grooves and small button tip like

Boolit Master

I love these old threads. They have unknown info.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Additional Info on H&G #107 & Others

Finding this old thread woke up a memory of a collection of references I collected back around 2000 thru 2003. I must not have needed them after several custom mold makers came available. The collected info includes:

1. Hensley & Gibbs brochure dated 12-94. This brochure includes the #107a,b,c. Also a 1985 brochure.

2. Lyman mold info. Gives Bullet #, Weight w/#2 alloy, Top Punch and Seating Screw(?). This info is in two columns but
    my copy cuts off the top punch & seating screw info for the right column.

3. More Lyman mold info. This gives bullet designs by cherry number. For example: #429421 is a 429 bullet and the design is cherry #475.
    The person who listed this online in the old CB_L list was emphatic that he did this just for the list. This came from someone identified as "J". In his words, "things would ge real ugly, real fast. While he may be long gone(?) I will honor his wishes.

4. Another list of Lyman bullets with top punch, seating screw & weight(multiple in some cases). This list has pictorial representation of the bullet.

5. NEI catalog dated January 2001. Includes pictorial representation also.

6. A catalog of Eagan MX nose pour molds. Includes hand drawings of many molds. No way to know if all his designs are represented.

7. A couple of brochures from Cast Bullet Engineering(CBE) in Australia dated 1994 thru 1999. Apparently they just added pages to their brochure and updated prices when orders were received.

8. Pioneer Products of Brookville, Ohio. There is no date on the Pioneer brochure but it must have been in the 2001-2002 time frame. I don't know anything about them and they must not be in business now.

Please forgive the long post but I was somewhat excited to find this information. I know I could have used some of this info over the years when a mold showed up online or in an article or even here such as the H&G mold that is the subject of this thread.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I feel fortunate to own several H&G molds including several 45 acp #130's #68's and a #7, #S55 & #115 in 9mm.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I still have my 107B but have not used it lately. Recently picked up a custom matched pair of 503 in 8 cavity.

Would someone kindly post some images of the famed "Hensley & Gibbs 107" Mold, or the Boolits one would cast with one, so those of us who do not have one, can see what it the Boolit would look like?

Boolit Master
    I don't have a H&G #107, but from the description if you envision a typical 38 caliber wadcutter just in a larger diameter (44 caliber) then you got it, but some real photos would be nice.

Actual photos of so many of these old and new cast bullets I would think would make an excellent sticky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12