RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: ruger project

ruger project

i'm having a superblackhawk fully customised so far I've had hammer and triggeer jeweeled action and trigger job now i'm wondering about bbl the 1-20 is great for my keiths but im interested in running some of the heavy weights 300-330 grn would would these be stable in factory twist or when I get my octagon bbl should I get it in 1-18 or so,would the faster twist still b ok with the llighter boolits
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

Boolit Grand Master

1 in 20 will be fine. I've shot boolits of over 350gr. out of my Tender and it has the same twist rate. The key element with Rugers is boolit fit! Just make sure that the cylinder throat in larger than the forcing cone and that there is no restriction where the barrel is screwed in.

Sounds like a beauty. Make sure you post some pics when it is done.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Twist is fine, but you'll likely need a taller front sight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerdog View Post
    i'm having a superblackhawk fully customised so far I've had hammer and triggeer jeweeled action and trigger job now i'm wondering about bbl the 1-20 is great for my keiths but im interested in running some of the heavy weights 300-330 grn would would these be stable in factory twist or when I get my octagon bbl should I get it in 1-18 or so,would the faster twist still b ok with the llighter boolits

Bullet weight has little to do with barrel twist rate, the length of the bullet determines the correct twist rate (even though heavy usually means longer). Actually the slower twist rate will allow a slightly faster bullet, 1-20 is slower than 1-18 and entirely suitable for a 45. It's a little more involved than this but basically this is a fact.