RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 6.5 170 gn bullet from Mid South load

Boolit Master

6.5 170 gn bullet from Mid South load

I have been shooting cast in several military rifles and on a wild hare decided to try a big boolit. So far the bases show tiping at 50 yds. I am using WW water quenched. At 19 gns of IMR 4198 the group heads toward a pattern. 18 to 18.5 grains three are close, one is definatly out. RX 7 did not work at all. The rifle shoots better than I can see the sights with the Lyman 266673 150grn at 24 grn of IMR 4198. The boolit is seated to the base of the neck. I have thought of trying to seat futher out but would like to use the magazine.

I have been lurking for a while, thought I would ask. I am mainly a flint shotgun shooter now, can't see the sights any more. If I am going shoot a patern, use something that should.

What cartridge? My Carcano is creating oval holes with this bullet also. I believe my bullet is getting skewed on firing as I can seat the bullets out only enough to engage the two front driving bands (the second band only 1/2 of it!) and the back end of the boolit is waving around when the case neck gives.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

MDL 96 Swede 6.5x55. I have found the reject factor is high, and have started rolling the as cast on the counter to check for stright.

Alan

Boolit Master
    What is the groove diameter on your carcano? With the exception of my m/96 &m/38 swedes, all of my 6.5's have a groove diam. of .267/8. 2 carcanos, 6.5 dutch No. 5, Jap type "i". Most molds aren't big enough. The only two molds that work are the cruise missle and the lyman "Hi Velocity" 268... something. Dan

Alan, if you can find some AA-1680, try between 18.5 and 22.5 grains in your Swede. I've had excellent luck with the RCBS 168 grain GC bullet in mine using 1680.

Boolit Master

I haventchecked the grove dia. in the Swede, I do know the throat is long. I will get some AA1680, after I moved some how a lot of "stuff "dissapered. The bigest sizer Lyman makes is .266, In my .30's it seamsa .312 works better than a .309 I started with to many years ago. (National Ordance 03-A3) with .309 grouve at the back.

Alan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    I haventchecked the grove dia. in the Swede, I do know the throat is long. I will get some AA1680, after I moved some how a lot of "stuff "dissapered. The bigest sizer Lyman makes is .266, In my .30's it seamsa .312 works better than a .309 I started with to many years ago. (National Ordance 03-A3) with .309 grouve at the back.

Alan
    The Cruise Missile was specifically designed for the Swedish Mauser by a member here (Oldfeller) and it addresses the long throats and oversized bores. The recent moulds from Midsouth have been throwing boolits in the .271-2" range, and thus the noses are too big to fit the leads and not stick the base into the case on most Swedes. Many people, myself included, have encountered major stability issues with this boolit at anything over the mid-teens velocity.

Gear

Super Moderator

.............If you'd like a few evenings worth of reading, do a search for "6.5 Swede"

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Thanks all, I have looked back some.

Alan