Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just ran out of Bullseye...what now.

Boolit Master

I just ran out of Bullseye...what now.

Life isn't over I still have some Tightgroup. But, all those loads I have to retest. When is this ever going to end? A friend of mine came over and said he couldn't find any 30-30 ammo. I looked online...yep there isn't any. Yet the ammo manufactures are bragging about all the new cartridges they just released at the Shot Show.
    I'm through feeling sorry for myself now...just wanted to share my frustration.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master

At least powder can be had for only twice what it used to cost. Things are slowly coming down in price, and becoming easier to find. Fair warning, this is the year to buy what you need. There is a very real chance things in 2024 are going to go south and stay that way for at least 3-4 more years.

Super Moderator

If you can find it, try some Red Dot. It's an overlooked powder, and hopefully you can find some of it. It works great in most pistol caliber cartridges, and very many cast boolit rifle cartridges too. Promo should work well too, I haven't tried Promo, but it's supposed to be a good Red Dot substitute.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    If you can find it, try some Red Dot. It's an overlooked powder, and hopefully you can find some of it. It works great in most pistol caliber cartridges, and very many cast boolit rifle cartridges too. Promo should work well too, I haven't tried Promo, but it's supposed to be a good Red Dot substitute.
    Sure, there are dozens of perfectly suitable target powders that do the same thing. Red dot, 700X, Clays, Clay dot, American Select, Tite Group, and many more. They all do the same thing. I get what foesgth is saying though. Now you have to restart the loading development again. It can be a lot of work. What happens when Red dot runs out? Now you have to start over with another powder.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Thank God I have about 20 lbs of red dot left… should be able to make it for a while…
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I concur with this, wholeheartedly. I'm still working on an 8# jug of Promo (I don't reload for shotgun), that I bought to reload .45 ACP for competition (It works quite well) 15 years ago. I'm advised by Alliant that Promo has no density specification, unlike Red Dot, but is similar/identical in all other respects. When I bought that 8# jug, it was about $20 (12.5%) lower in price than an 8# jug of Red Dot.

Other candidate propellants with burning rates similar to Red Dot/Promo are W231/HP38, and IMR-700X (which burns VERY cleanly in .45 ACP).
    I DO get that other propellants mean new work-ups, but the jump from Bullseye to Red Dot/Promo is not major. If memory serves, Red Dot/Promo charges are 5 to 8% greater than those for Bullseye, to achieve similar performance.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 01-28-2023 at 12:40 AM.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Do some local horse trading. Swapped 1 lb 4895 for 1 lb Bullseye last month. Use Red Dot, Clays and Clay Dot a bunch. Good powder hunting.

Boolit Buddy

...and to think, I was ridiculed for having 500 30-30 empties and 400 rounds loaded.

Sad state of affairs when a man cannot find something as basic as 30-30 ammo.
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Boolit Grand Master

Go to Powder Valley and buy four 8 pound jugs of some fast pistol powder.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I’ve got extra powder, Bullseye included, but getting it to Ca. might be the hurdle.
    I use just a few grains per shot in my 45 so a pound seems to last quite a while. I shoot mostly shotgun now and that greatly extends the life of the container.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    Life isn't over I still have some Tightgroup. But, all those loads I have to retest. When is this ever going to end? A friend of mine came over and said he couldn't find any 30-30 ammo. I looked online...yep there isn't any. Yet the ammo manufactures are bragging about all the new cartridges they just released at the Shot Show.
    I share your frustration! I, too, came up with similar query re new cartridges and powders -- but lack of availability of the standards I have, for years, employed. The real challenge to me is -- over 45 years or so -- using chronographs, ladder targets, and many, many hours at range I developed MY pet loads -- each carefully printed on a 3"x5" card in a RollaDex -- to easily and readily produce more ammo in any of the 28 calibres I reload for. Frankly, I am a slob (for lack of a better word ) re the primer brand, brass manufacturer/lot, and even exact bullet -- 'specially using my cast bullets with no published recipes available.
    Most sad would be the prospect of load development from the get-go with a different powder! Added, too, is the CALENDAR -- where in January thru March being (too much cold and snow outside!) the time to DO the loading. No-go if there's no tried and trued powder...

My local traprange just got in a 8lb. jug of bullseye, it was priced in the low $200 range. I may have about 4lbs. right now but it’s good to know it will be available when I get down to my last lb.

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    Have you tried OC Reload in Anaheim? I needed to load 9mm, and they had True Blue. I believe it's superior to the W-231 and Clays I used to use for this application. If you need primers, try substituting standard small rilfe in your workup from starting load. My experience is that the CCI #400 worked in all guns but the #41/NATO spec did not. You could also see if someone on Cal Guns wants to trade you for something. Good luck!
    Last edited by arclight; 01-29-2023 at 02:23 PM.

Just got W231 from OC reload this week. Now in Orange on Bativia just south
    of Ketella. Don;t know what other powers he may have. Good Luck

Just got W231 from OC reload this week. Now in Orange on Bativia just south
    of Ketella. Don;t know what other powers he may have. Good Luck

Boolit Master
    As of one minute ago Natchez has 1# and 8# bottles of Alliant Bullseye in stock. Several well known on-line vendors had Alliant Powder products available this morning.....saw the heads-up on ShotgunWorld.com.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master

"I just ran out of Bullseye...what now."

Red Dot
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Ram shot competition powder is one to not overlook,either. 12 gauge target powder, but in their data, is also some pistol calibers.
    Just my.02
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Red Dot and Acc#2 are helping me conserve my Bullseye for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Believe it or not, in my 45 years of reloading, I have never bought or used Bullseye. Never felt like I needed it. Red dot, 700x, 231, Unique, and several others have always met my needs.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast