MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: water quench pure lead

In Remembrance

water quench pure lead

A friend asked me this question about water quenching pure lead pistol bullets. Would they have a surface hardening enough to drive them faster than if they were soft lead? Would they still retain their soft center to upset and expand like a soft point when an object is hit? Anybody ever come across this type of experiment, or try this procedure? My arthritis won`t let me try casting out in the cold barn till Spring is why I`m asking for some input from this board.Robert

Banned

Pure lead has absolutely no ability to harden from any sort of heat treating or quenching. Antimony and tin are the principle elements added to create a harder metal, and antimony allows heat-treating to a greater hardness. Arsenic in small quantities acts as a catalyst in conjunction with antimony, reducing the time to maximum hardness of the alloy from a few weeks to a few days in most cases.

Gear

Boolit Master
    +1 on what Gear said..........right on

Boolit Grand Master
    Like you, I cast out of doors, in my cast the garage. It is hardly casting season here. I did however get a new mold that is begging to be tried. I'll be casting today.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

If you add some magnum shot to your pure lead you can get some hardening from water dropping.
    Last edited by mooman76; 02-13-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: edit error
    Aim small, miss small!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Arsenic in small quantities acts as a catalyst in conjunction with antimony, reducing the time to maximum hardness of the alloy from a few weeks to a few days in most cases.

Gear
    Argghhh!!!!!! NO IT DOES NOT ACT AS A CATALYST. This is another of those things that has gone around the internet a billion times, and nobody ever questions, that is incorrect terminology.

A Catalyst is: a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.

Since hardening is a physical/crystalline shift not a chemical reaction, arsenic cannot possibly act as a catalyst.

Ok, soapbox mode off.

Read http://www.castpics.net/memberarticles/arsenic.htm for more details.
    Last edited by wiljen; 02-13-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

2% antimony or more is needed to water drop harden. 2% antimonal alloys harden in 1 day, reaching full hardness in a week. 6% antimony hardens much faster as little as 30 minutes. .5% tin is plenty in the alloy. The hardness is the same throughout the bullet. Sizing the bullet after water dropping will soffen the surface some.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    2% antimony or more is needed to water drop harden. 2% antimonal alloys harden in 1 day, reaching full hardness in a week. 6% antimony hardens much faster as little as 30 minutes. .5% tin is plenty in the alloy. The hardness is the same throughout the bullet. Sizing the bullet after water dropping will soffen the surface some.

I gotta disagree with some of this too. Specifically, full hardness within a week. What I found was that full hardness was not achieved for at least 2 weeks and even then some slow hardening continued for several more weeks. I also would question that the hardness is the same throughout the bullet from water dropping as the tests I've seen suggest that the bullet insulates the core while the surface cools much more rapidly resulting in a tough surface with a softer core. Even oven heat treating results in this phenomenon to some degree as it is impossible to cool the metal at the same rate for both the core and surface. This is accentuated in larger boolits with more metal to insulate the deep core.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Will is correct. The hardening-MOTIVATION stops when the "lead" reaches 300F. The motivation comes from the rate of change from the molted state to 300F (or thereabouts, depending on exact alloy). A small boolit, 22 for example, does NOT have to be water dropped to obtain a measurable degree of hardening over time. ... felix
    felix

Maybe i should have said they are hard enough to shoot. You did the testing, i sure wont argue with you. Great info by the way. http://www.castpics.net/memberarticles/arsenic.htm As for hardness throughout the bullet i was going by this.
    These tests revealed that the hardness was essentially uniform throughout
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5464487.html Personally, to much is made of this bullet casting for the average guy. Simple- correct diameter bullet, alloy, lube. For me scrap from the indoor range, sized to the standard dia. for lead pistol bullets, and NRA type 50/50 lube works great. The 30 cal rifles, .310" works in 4 different guns. Maybe not benchrest accuracy, but ok for me. If i can't get the correct dia., i add linotype to make the bullets larger.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 02-13-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: If i can't ..................................

In Remembrance

Thanks for the input...

The question came to me from a friend, yes I do have a friend, in Fla. Seems he came into alot of pure soft x-ray shielding lead and wanted to know if he could surface toughen it by quenching. I told him I didn`t think it would be workable as he wanted it, but I would ask around. So, thanks for backing me up guys.Robert

Boolit Mold
    Just have him mix it with 75% WW and it will make his lead go allot farther and still be close to proper hardness for most needs

Done some testing myself. Just got more confused and now reading this thread, even more so!

This kind of subject is just not good for a scatter-brain like me!

I was trying to soften an alloy I have using a benchtop oven grill. I managed to soften some sample and harden others. At lower temperatures, the samples hardened uniformly, retaining differences in hardness as cast. Hotter and the hardness became uniform. I don't remember the temperature setting that softened the alloy (nor which alloy it was).

I have mensioned before about an alloy I had created by accident that produced a graded hardness from my nose molds under certain conditions.

Here they are again.

GC cast in position.

It's not only one alloy that behaves this way but this one one is very marked with frosting on the softer portion.

The mold that produces this effect. (It also produces a bevel base and hollow nose).

Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    303 guy,

that is genius. cooling fins on the base to essentially quench the lead with a chunk of steel around the nose to keep it warm and allow it to slow cool over a long period of time. Do you pre heat the mold to get the nose portion hot then pour? I would imagine that it would take a while for the bullet to get the gradient that you are talking of. Its a very interesting mold design, did you make it your self? Also, how in the world do you cut the sprue and get the bullet out?

Thanks,
    Matt

anachronism
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    If you add some chilled mag shot to your pure lead you can get some hardening from water dropping.
    No. You need to used MAGNUM shot, which has antimony & arsenic in it. Chilled shot is soft. Using the two together as a description will confuse people.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    No. You need to used MAGNUM shot, which has antimony & arsenic in it. Chilled shot is soft. Using the two together as a description will confuse people.
    I stand corrected then!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Tin is good for castability and "strength", (ductility), but I have not noticed that the addition of tin helps with quenching or heat treating hardening at all. Antimony and arsenic are the ingredients that have worked best for me. Most wheel weights have some. Magnum shot is the best source for adding more that I've found. My heat treated WW alloy achieves it's maximum hardness in 2 weeks at about 25 BHN. The addition of a little magnum shot gets the BHN over 30 in one week.
    BD

Lawrence Brand Lead Shot- Antimony Content

Other brands might be different.
    CHILLED SHOT
    (American Standard) with
    Equivalent Hardness Factor of:
    2% Antimonial Lead All
    HIGH ANTIMONY MAGNUM
    LEAD SHOT (American Standard) with Equivalent Hardness Factor of:
    4-6% Antimonial Lead Alloy
    http://www.maycoindustries.com/lead_shot.htm

While geargnasher may not be absolutely correct in his choice of words from a chemical aspect; I believe like him that the arsenic is an initiatory element towards the best heat treat ability results.
    Arsenic is added to the better makes of shot as a fluxing agent. Arsenic oxidizes to form As2O3 which fluxes the molten surface of the dropped pellet and enhances the spherical shape. Possibly this enhances heat treat ability as well??
    Trace amounts of arsenic seem to be in antimony alloys. (like wheel weights) Possibly to remove As for total purity costs more that leaving trace amounts of arsenic in the
    alloy.
    I'm not sure anyone has heat treated ternary alloys of lead/tin/antimony where the arsenic HAS BEEN TOTALLY REMOVED. It may still heat treat... but I believe trace amounts of arsenic will improve the process.

Eutectic

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The report I have from the bureau of mines, says that when mined, lead has naturally occuring arsenic that is not removed in the smelting process.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!