Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: MiHec RCBS 45-270-SAA Brass Cramer style two cavity mould

Boolit Grand Master

denul;
    HEAR! HEAR!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    denul, Great post, I too am looking forward to new style pins for the .41 mold. Dennis

Boolit Master

Very nice write-up denul.
    Especially your comparison of NOE moulds to Miha's moulds.
    We are very lucky to have Miha and Al making moulds for us.

I don't have any NOE moulds...yet.
    Al was kind enough to donate two certificates for free moulds to the Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot this year and I won one of them.
    I just have to decide which one to get.
    So many moulds...so little time.
    Nice problem to have actually...
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by hamour View Post
    Yes, I work in the great metropolis of Jubail KSA and the family lives in Manama (Jufair close to the Navy Base)
    Spent 4 Months at Sheik Isa AB during Desert Storm - must be getting damn hot there right about now - Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Changeling;
    Go back and read my post #531. I place oil on the pin SHAFTS where they stick through the mould (outside of the mould) - one drop of MiHec's lube or Bullshop's Sprue Plate lube on each shaft. This lubes the shafts only, so that they'll slide back and forth with no effort.

Regarding the hollow point pins, I use either Rapine mould release or NEI Mould release on the pins themselves (this is microfine graphite suspended in de-natured alcohol). It dries quickly and the bullets just slip off the pins.

I only have hands-on casting experience with MiHec's 200 gr Hollow point .45 ACP mould, the H&G #503 250 gr Keith Hollow point mould and the new RCBS clone 45-270-SAA hollow point mould. These all are Cramer style moulds. In each of these moulds, the pins are tapered. Even without the mould release, I had no real problems with the bullets dropping. However, the mould release DOES help the bullets to drop easier. Some of them will just fall off when the pins are pushed to the center. Worst case, I lightly tap the ends of the shafts and they drop off. NOT A PROBLEM AT ALL!

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

NOTE: I have opened up a new thread regarding a companion solid point mould (with multi-cavities) to our new hollow point mould.

This one will be either a five cavity aluminum mould (MiHec is concerned that the greater diameter (.45 compared to .44) in the same size aluminum body might cause a warping problem. Just to be on the safe side, this new mould in aluminum will be a FIVE cavity one.

I suggested to MiHec the possibility of a four cavity BRASS mould instead. MiHec is running a cost estimate and will have that for us shortly.

I would prefer the brass mould but would also be happy with the aluminum mould. The brass mould will be limited to four cavities due to it's weight.

The question is, "Do you want a five cavity aluminum mould, or do you want a four cavity BRASS mould? We will only offer one. So, which do you want? I ask that only serious buyers respond.

The aluminum mould will cost $80.00 + $15.00 shipping.

The Brass mould is being cost estimated as we "speak".

Go here and let me know what your preference is:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=87994

Dale53

Boolit Man
    Dale,
    I could go either way, but like you, I would prefer brass even with one less cavity.

Alex
    Alex

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons.
    For you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.

NRA Life Member

SASS #87220

Hi Dale,

Have cast a few boolits and am havin' trouble with sticking HP pins. Do you have a link for someone selling mold release?

Thanks again for your effort and interest in this group buy. - Rob: drinks:

Boolit Grand Master

rollmyown;
    One bottle will last you a LONG time (or until you spill it). Here is one source:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1973.html

Here is another:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=8095

Now, this one is iffy - it is commonly available at a NAPA auto parts store. It gives you nearly twice as much for about a third the price. I have NOT tried it but will do so shortly just to pass the word along. The other items are not only priced too high but the shipping costs are prohibitive. If you want to try this and report back, please do so:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...382_0282385814

So, there it is - two products that I have actually used ( but over priced in my opinion) or one product that MAY or MAY NOT work but available locally for a very good price. My next purchase will be the NAPA stuff. I'll use it first on a mould that won't kill me to screw up, but I'm betting it is about the same thing...

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Dale,

I'm interested to try the NAPA part. The link you posted just goes to a log in page. Would you post the name of the product or a part number for it? I'm very interested.

Thanks

TH
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) -

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Boolit Master
    After playing with that link I was able to get to that product. I've used that product before but never on a mold. If I remember correctly it's an oil base. I'll have to stop by and look at a bottle to be sure. I think most of the other graphite mold releases are using an alcohol carrier that just evaporates and leaves a film of graphite don't they?

I've never used a mold release other than carbon from soot. I'd like to try some. Got some new molds coming.

TH

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Boolit Grand Master

Triggerhappy;
    The part number is "Part Number: BK 7651382. The product name is "Lock-Ease".

An oil base release would NOT work well. It must be an alcohol base. If Lock-Ease has an oil base, then it will NOT be the thing to use.

I'll get a chance to go look at it next week sometime and let the rest of you know what I find.

Dale53

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

Lock-ease

Lock ease does have a petrolem base and contains lubricants besides graphite. here is the manufacturers page with links to the it's MSDS and technical data sheets.
    http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/homehardware/179

They also sell powdered graphite which you could mix with alcohol yourself.
    http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/homehardware/183

Blacksmith

Boolit Master
    So, for those that have used the mold release. If I were to make some, with 90%+ alcohol and fine graphite powder, how much powder do they use in their mix? How thick is the mold release? Just enough to put a fine layer on the mold I would expect. I think I'll to to make some this afternoon to see how it works, but I'm curious about how much graphite to use.

TH

Boolit Master
    I use NEI mold release and it is like water.. You don't want a paste as that would change the dimension of what ever you apply the release to..
    I applied the release to warm HP pins with a Q-tip..
    Yes the NEI product works well on this mold..
    If my timing is right the pins slide out and the boolits fall off the pins with out doing any thing but cutting the sprue, opening the mold and flipping the mold over..
    Last edited by Nrut; 07-11-2010 at 01:10 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes. Will post about it.

TH

Dale,

Thanks for the mould release links. I will try one of the products you know works.

They don't cost an arm and a leg and will as you say last a long time anyway.

Cheers Rob

Boolit Master
    Ok, so I tried some fine graphite in a 91% isopropyl alcohol base. I applied it to this new .45 SAA mold from Miha after a soak in Acetone for a few hours. I used a Q-tip to coat the mold cavities. Couldn't get much to stay on the mold unless I squished it out of the Q-tip. Didn't seem to make any difference. Didn't have any sticking problems to speak of but had to get the mold really hot to get rid of the wrinkles. I ended up smoking the mold anyway which immediately solved the wrinkle problem.

Suppose I'll have to order a bottle of the commercial stuff and try it. I'd try some different concentrations of graphite and application methods but I have to do some work for the Search & Rescue for the next few days.

TH

Vendor Sponsor

For the people who missed this one......

I still have some molds - if you want one please PM me
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728