Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: 6.5 x55 swedish mauser ?

Boolit Buddy

6.5 x55 swedish mauser ?

Have been casting for pistol and shotgun since the 1960s starting to do rifle bought a LEE mold 6.5x55 casting a 175 GR + or - A LITTLE they look pretty good.
    Don't have a reloading book that shows that weight went with 18 - GR 4198 loaded 5 went out to the desert and shot them seemed to work but looking for more loading options as far as powder goes .Have loaded mostly 140 gr berger vld before but I'm retired and looking to shoot more for less money . Any help or ideas welcome also going to do 8mm and 7 mm mauser in the future to any advise is welcome

Boolit Master
    Please use the "search" function before starting down this road again. There are threads on the swede to keep you reading for days. plenty of controversy as well.
    BD

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    Please use the "search" function before starting down this road again. There are threads on the swede to keep you reading for days. plenty of controversy as well.
    BD

Concur, do search you'll get more than enough reading on loading for the 6.5 swede.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    did a search started reading but can only read so much BS in on seating . Have never seen so many people seeing who could piss up a rope farther funny fourm for sure

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

1st welcome to the board

1st welcome to the board

Lots of good information here

When you use the search function be sure to type it differant ways

Good luck
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by azcruiser View Post
    did a search started reading but can only read so much BS in on seating . Have never seen so many people seeing who could piss up a rope farther funny fourm for sure
    Give some more people time to answer your ?

I wish I could
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

When you get to your 8mm Mauser try the Lyman 323470 mold. Works great in my Mausers.

Larry

Banned

Well, that's pretty observant. I guess you figured out what you may have stepped into by starting a thread asking about the 6.5X55 Swede here!

Try searching "Karlina", "Swede", together with "45 2.1", "Starmetal", "Oldfeller", and "Larry Gibson". This has been a 10+ year controversy across three renditions of this board involving a couple dozen individuals. Have fun

Also check out ManleyJT's thread entitled "you guys were right about the 6.5".

Larry Gibson is currently trying to get to the bottom of the mess of "high velocity" accurate shooting with cast in the Swede, check out the thread in "special projects".

Until then, shoot the Swede with the "Oldfeller" Cruise Missile (the board member here who I believe is credited with designing it) with a light charge of Unique or 2400, (starting loads in the manuals) keep it about 15-1600 fps and you'll be fine. Push it faster and pretty shortly you'll investigate changing your religion. I'd start with ANYTHING other than the Swede for cast in rifle, you might as well get yourself an 8mm now and worry about the Swede when you master that.

Gear

Super Moderator

..............azcruiser, welcome to the board. If you're wanting some iron sight accurate loads (what rifle are you using?) that do very well without a bunch of special pains and efforts, there are many. Adhear to the common rules of cast boolits and have fun.

Left Photo The long and the short of it. The left boolit was a Group Buy we did in a set of Lee 6 cavity blocks. It was called the 6.5mm Kurtz. Depending upon alloy it can weiht from 128 to about 131 grs. BRP (Vendor Sponser) has it currently available and duplicated it a 2 cav Mould: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=74848 The slug on the right was also a Group Buy, but due to it's length had to be done in a single cavity set of Lee blocks. The loaded cartridges show both seated to engrave in the same M96 Swede Mauser.

Right Photo These are a few of the 6.5's that I have, or had in the case of #1. This was an old Lyman single cavity and was a hollow point. It was the inspiration for the Kurtz. #2 is another Lee Group Buy that was done some years back by Jumptrap who did 2 iterations. This was the first, a 140gr FN. The other was pointy. #3 was a Lyman 2 cavity offering and is NLA. It's a 152gr slug and they called it their "6.5 Hi Velocity". #4 Is the 170gr Cruise missle.

The above were some "fooling around" stuff. All 5 shots from an unaltered military Swede Mauser, iron sights. No voo-doo in loading involved. Visually inspected slugs, thrown powder charges, and in PMC cases with Win LRP to light the powder. These were the Lyman 152 gr slug (#3 above). These loads aren't anything special, and simply show the Swede can be accurate without a lot of pain and anguish. Use any good case with the 6.5x55 headstamp. Use most any load showing a velocity of 1500 to 1700 fps and the above type reloading and you should get the same results.

One of the nice things about the 6.5mm is it's high ballistic coefficient. A friend and I would compete as "Unregistered Competitors" (which means for fun) in our club's 200 meter silhuette shoot with cast lead. On occassion we'd use our Swede's and a 152gr slug at 1600 fps had no problem fetching the 200 meter ram. Due to it's ability to carry, we only had to make one sight correction for the match and simply altered our hold.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Have been casting for pistol and shotgun since the 1960s starting to do rifle bought a LEE mold 6.5x55 casting a 175 GR + or - A LITTLE they look pretty good.
    Don't have a reloading book that shows that weight went with 18 - GR 4198 loaded 5 went out to the desert and shot them seemed to work but looking for more loading options as far as powder goes .Have loaded mostly 140 gr berger vld before but I'm retired and looking to shoot more for less money . Any help or ideas welcome also going to do 8mm and 7 mm mauser in the future to any advise is welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    BD
    Pretty rude to a new member BD.

azcruiser, plenty of people here are willing to help you out. There's been a big controversy on the 6.5 Swede for some reason -- I shoot them but only with jacketed bullets and surplus ammo.

Welcome to the forum and please be assured all members here aren't rude and we DO welcome new members.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Dude didn't catch this one before I posted. You're gonna fit right in.....................LMAO

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

found info using TRAIL BOSS I'M set works better than I was told BYE ALL
    Last edited by azcruiser; 02-14-2010 at 11:01 PM.