Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: .41 mag loads

.41 mag loads

Just bought Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag. Looking for some load ideas and mold suggestions. Any one use the Lee 410-195-SWC?
    Improvise,Adapt, OVERCOME.....

Boolit Man
    My OM Blackhawk really likes 9.5 gns. of Herco, It also shot well with 15.0 gns of 2400, and 12.0 grns. of Bluedot with a 210 gn SWC from straight ww and Win. LP primers. BlueDot has been rumored to have some preasure problems so use carefully I have not had any problems with it though.

I just got the 410-195 along with the 410-250 gn Swc but have not had a chance to load any yet. Hope this helps.

Randy, The Birddog.

Boolit Master
    I have both the 210 TL and the 195 SWC The 195 is from my Dad and is a single cavity. I like the 210 in My S&W 657> I also have a Lee 240 grainer,but dont use it much to save some lead. I plan to hollow point it by drilling it out to 210 HP using 20-1 alloy OH yes i use Unique and or Universal for a moderate 1000fps

Boolit Master
    I also recently purchased a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum. Do you feel a need for a gas-checked boolit in this caliber, or not? Just curious.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Just depends on the stability of your gun, Exile. The better the gun, the less you need checks. ... felix
    felix

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Daves1 View Post
    Just bought Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag. Looking for some load ideas and mold suggestions. Any one use the Lee 410-195-SWC?
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    I also recently purchased a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum. Do you feel a need for a gas-checked boolit in this caliber, or not? Just curious.

exile
    I have the same gun (and also the Bisley Hunter model). I shoot 210 to 255 gn bullets and have found H4227 to give the best accuracy (H110 and 2400 have done well also). I have always used gas checks, but couldn't really say if its absolutely necessary. You'll have to experiment.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

In the larger weights, be careful of the length of the bullet. I had a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Magnum that would not chamber 265 grain LBT bullets due to length that would chamber in my Ruger Redhawk in .41 Magnum. The Redhawk's having a longer cylinder than the Blackhawk.

Boolit Buddy

.41 mag loads

My first .41 was an OM 4 5/8" Blackhawk. If I'd known then what I know now...
    I had a lot of luck with RCBS 210 SWC, cast from straight WW, and lubed with whatever I could get my hands on. I ran Bullseye( 5.5-7.0gr) and Unique (6.5-8.5gr) through it and enjoyed. When I ran 2400 through it there was quite a bit of muzzle flip, so I didn't use it a lot.
    I use an M57 6" now, and if I wanted an "about 200gr" bullet, I'd use the one I'm playing with now. A while ago I asked Buckshot to HP my RCBS mold. With an alloy of WW+2% tin, I can't get enough boolits downrange. I like to send them with the same loads I used in the BH, but about anything leaving the barrel @ 900-1000fps is just fine. Fit is very important, and I used boolits that were sized .410", but now I'd try .413."
    I ran more than a few Lyman 410610 cast from WW through the BH, but found no advantage. This boolit is a 210-215gr SWC with a gas-check.
    When I HPed the RCBS, I did the Lyman, also. With WW+2%, and a velocity of 900-1200, the GC is OK, But I see no advantage...until the velocity goes up. The balance of the HP appears to give me more accuracy, but if you are concerned with expansion, I'd stick with WW or WW+2%, and if you're gonna raise the velocity, I'd use the GC boolit. Even MORE important, tho', is boolit-fit. Sizing about .412-.413" will surprise you.
    I haven't used many boolits, HP or otherwise, with Linotype, so I can't say what'll happen when hard boolits are used. Hopefully, a LOT more will go downrange this summer.
    Have fun,
    Gene

Boolit Master
    The Rcbs is a good all around mold-- nothing but good to say about it//personally never had much luck with the 195 gr Lee-- --the 210 TL did ok to well -- their 240 was good-- I never used a GC in the .41 until I started messing with TC's -- often will shoot the boolits with out GC with no problems-- like the others said "fit" is king and Buckshot's HPing is great

Thanks
    guys, I'll slug the barrel tonight and try to figure out the sizing. Sounds like .412-.413 is in the ball park.

Banned

412 won't even chamber in my black hawk i had to go 411.
    my hunter model likes the 411 size also but i use a button nose wadcutter at 210 grs made by lyman that made my blackhawk actually shoot. and it extremely accurate in the hunter.
    the 210 gr swc by lyman does fine in the black hawk but need g/c's.
    i have shot it without them but at the lower end. 750 fps or so.
    i find i shoot the wadcutter far more than the swc in both guns and the plain base does just fine.

How do I get a .411 or.412 die. I don't see them listed in any catalogs?

Cast Hunter

How do I get a .411 or.412 die. I don't see them listed in any catalogs?
    Lee will make custom push through sizers and Buffalo Arms makes custom sizer dies for Lyman/RCBS lubrisizers. (http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,71.html)

A couple fellas on this forum also do the later.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I also have the Ruger with the short barrel. I've only put about a thousand round thru it, no J-words. I'm leading with plain base from WW, but it is decreasing as I put more thru it, eventually it will smooth out and polish to where it won't lead. My 357 Ruger did that, took about 2500 rounds.

Boolit Master
    You might try taking the polish media used to polish brass- prime a case& pretty well fill it with the media put a bit of tp to hold it in and fire several -- I have done this several times with different guns -- and it does a little good -- not abrasive enough to do much-- Veral Smith of LBT is where this comes from

Boolit Grand Master

That brings back bad memories.....trading off the Lee 410-195-SWC mould with a M58.........

I used 2 loads with that bullet with two loads in that m58 and a M27 I had converted to .41 Magnum; For target and practice i used 5 gr of Bullseye for 750 fps. That was an excellent load and i qualified expert numerous times on the TRC (Tactical Revolver Course) then in vogue for LE qualification. I used 8.5 gr of Unique under the 195 gr Lee cast bullet to duplicate the 950 fps velocity of Remington's mid range lead SWC lead bullet load. Accuracy was also excellent.

I tried 2400, H110 and 630 but they didn't do well with the lighter 195 gr cast bullet. 10.5 gr of Unique at 1150 fps did better than the slower powders. That was my "magnum" load for the 4" barreled revolvers.

These days I have a Ruger Bisley with 7 1/2" barrel and use the Lee TL410-175-SWC for a target/small game bullet and the TL410-210-SWC for a medium range cast bullet load. I use the RCBS 41-210-SWC for magnum level cast loads.

I also lament trading off the Lyman 410610 GC mould some years back as it would have been the best mould for soft cast HPs at 1400+ fps.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    larry glad you got good results out of the 195-- mine was the HP version but I guess I pushed to hard -- as I do not remember using nothing but 2400 and 296-- not much good for lighter loads-- funny as the mold I just got from the GB cast a 221 gr solid or 195 gr Lyman devastator style mold-- -- this is GC'd though

GLynn, is that group buy still available, and how much does the mould cost?

Boolit Master
    Yeah Miha said he had some plain base and gc left over--go to Group buy results and look at the last page I think -- really nice mold -- at a good price i thought