RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataPBcastco
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a bolt action rifle that will shoot 5.56x45

Moderator Emeritus

Hey screwbolts, try reading the entire thread, I called them. Any reason why you felt it necessary to use the largest font possible to convey your thoughts? And what's with the thousand question marks? Here's an idea for you, if you have nothing worthwhile to add to a thread, keep walking. Take it how you want it. But you need to rethink how you carry on around here.
    Last edited by Trey45; 02-25-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Doesn't CZ make a rifle chambered in 5.56?
    They make a fine one but it will not handle bullets over 62gr and even those are sketchey as the twist is something like 1:14. 40 gr through 55gr bullets are very accurate.

Regarding the 5.56 vs .223 argument; it is not the cartridge so much as the chamber that is different. The first Kimber rifles (from the first Kimber company) were chambered with a very tight chamber. Mill surp ammo provided very sticky extraction, loose primer pockets and on occasion, a very hard to open bolt. Most commercial rifles have very generous/sloppy chambers. I have not had problems with my CZ in this regard save that the milsurp 5.56 shows pretty high pressure.

Boolit Master

Talking

Actually the military chambers are slightly larger then a civilan chambers and the military ammo is held to a slightly smaller dimension giving just a small amount of extra clearence for battle field conditions. I am talking very small here only .001-.002"

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Trey45, it was supposed to be pretty blue and not large font. the key must have stuck. I have removed the reply,

Chill Man! I wont try to comment on your cast boolit questions

Ken

Boolit Mold
    mark twain was right..you don't shoot 556 in a 223 caliber..thicker case walls, shorter neck, more pressure..Mossberg makes the only 556 bolt action that rifle that shoots 556..they are in use with the swat team.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    To boil it down, I'm considering a Savage Model 25 LV .223 with a 1-9 twist barrel. Am I going to blow the damn thing up and me with it if I shoot my military 55gr 5.56x45 ammo in it? I have an AR that I shoot this ammo in, and if I have to I'll get a target/varmint upper for it for precision shooting, but I would much rather use a bolt gun. I'm not really worried about shooting sub moa with milsurp ammo, at the same time I'd rather not have to buy .223 ammo to shoot since i have a plethora of 5.56x45 ammo on hand, most likely a lifetime supply of it.
    You have a warehouse full of ammo?? That is awesome!!! Can we be friends?
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Vendor Sponsor

Trey: After 3 pages of argument,,,Bear 5150 beat me to it.

The Mossberg MVP series bolt gun has a 5.56 chamber, and it is also AR style magazine fed so you can blast away at multiple vermin to your hearts content.

It is also pretty reasonably priced, and you can get the one with the 3x9 scope already mounted for about $600, Street price,,, don't be fooled by the MSRP on the website, these guns are going for a lot less than MSRP.

If I was looking for a .223/5.56 bolt gun that is the one I'd be seriously looking at. They are also sold in many of the larger retail stores so it's not like you are going on a "quest" to actually find one, they are getting to be pretty common.

I have seen several of these guns show up at our local 3 gun shoot and the young guys who shoot them do pretty well. The guns pick up the rounds off the magazine very efficiently when the bolt is operated smartly which you would think would be a problem. The ability to use AR Style P Mags is another plus.

As you know Magpul P Mags are the best, and you probably already have some.

Here's a link to these guns. https://www.mossberg.com/products/ri...ire/mvp-series There are a bunch of different models to choose from and you should find something that fits your needs.

If you can't find one for the right price locally then try Williams Gunshop Auburn in Auburn MI. 969-239-3030 Talk to Kevin and tell him Randy Buchanan from CA sent you. That shouldn't do more than double the price!

He will ship to your local FFL. I have bought several hard to find guns from him and he is a great guy to deal with.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-01-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Savage 11 or 111. I have one that shoots surplus ammo, as well as, I can. With Accu-trigger less than $400 new. Savage states that it will shoot 5.56x45. I hope so, I have shot a ton of it out of mine.

Boolit Master
    As stated the only one marked as 5.56 is the Mossberg rifle. Will you blow up a 223 gun using 5.56, unlikely. I was jsut cutting whatever 5.56 I found back to 223 specs to use in my stevens, but traded it in on a Mossberg as I wanted the external mag. And the twist on the mossberg is 1-9 so will handle heavier bullets than many other 223 chambered rifles. Get to fast a twist and it wont like the light really fast varmint bullets. I wouldn't mind being able to use the heavy 80s, but will live with it as is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    Both my brother and I have Savage 10 FV in 223

Both will out shoot what we are able to

Hard to beat them for out of the box accurcy

John
    This is a no brainer! Get whichever Savage you like. They are good price & the best out of the box.

Plus a good scope. Good gun, good scope, good groups!

Boolit Master

You know this thread is over 7 years old.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Ruger American Ranch. Chambered in 5.56. I regularly shoot mine at 200 yds. I have it sighted in with 40 gr V-Max, but now shoot 60.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    You know this thread is over 7 years old.
    Yes but he posted Savage told him 5.56 would blow up a Savage bolt inside of 4 rounds.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

And.... im pretty sure they didn't make a 1 in 9 twist barrel back then either.

Boolit Master
    May be an old thread, but, I was just about to go looking for a bolt rifle in this caliber. Savage was high on my list so was happy to see they chamber theirs to handle 5.56 as well as having a 1:9 twist. A trip to the gun shop may be in order.

I have a Savage 25 and a Savage 10 in 223. Both have 1 in 9 twist and both handle 69 grain Sierra Matchkings superbly. Also shoot well with smaller bullets. Not so much with heavier.

Boolit Grand Master

I am at a loss to understand why some have such a difficult issue with this. One of the most basic fundamentals of rifle loading is establishing bullet to lead angle clearance. If you want to fire factory 5.56 in a 223 marked chamber just check to ensure you are not jamming the bullet since the only real difference is the throat length.

Boolit Master
    "I am at a loss to understand why some have such a difficult issue with this" Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Buddy

CZ 527 Varmint (US is 1 in 9 European is 1 in 14...I have both) or Savage 12 LVBSS

Boolit Master
    Do it the easy way. Contact Savage to see how it's chambered and if it is approved for 5.56x45 mil spec. ammo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast