Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a bolt action rifle that will shoot 5.56x45

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    Do it the easy way. Contact Savage to see how it's chambered and if it is approved for 5.56x45 mil spec. ammo.
    He may have done it the easy way; contacting Savage over 7 yrs ago & verifying that exact thing ...

Boolit Master
    Yep, just read through the posts here, #45.

Banned
    ANY modern 223 chambered bolt gun that is also used for 243, 308 etc will shoot the military cartridges with ZERO issues. My X7 did, my Ranch rifle does etc. etc.. Over 2000 in the former, now up to 800 in the latter.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is parroting the CYA lawyer talk from gun makers.

NO ONE has ever produced a rifle as I described coming apart from shooting milspec ammo.

Can't speak to ARs as all mine say 5.56 NATO.

Boolit Master
    Never concerned with pressures, only the throat length, as shooting heavier bullets would be desirable. Since Savage does that then I will go out and look for one that I like.

And, yes, I will probably be firing single shot most of the time.

Banned
    Don't get the heavy bullet thing. A 50 gr TSX will kill anything you would ethically hunt with a 223.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by charles1990 View Post
    Don't get the heavy bullet thing. A 50 gr TSX will kill anything you would ethically hunt with a 223.
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/sp...-mod-1-review/

Boolit Master
    Not concerned with hunting, only paper. Heavier bullets for longer ranges.

If you can afford one, get a Ruger Precision Rifle. They are listed as 5.56 capable and have a 1 in 7 twist. They also have a reputation for shooting well.

Boolit Master

I have a CZ 527 FS in .223 Rem. It is a tack driver with honors on my reloads. It does well with any ammo I can find if it is no heavier that 55 Gr. The 1 x 14 twist precludes the use of heavier fodder. I have a light and small Leupold scope mounted and a sling. It is light and compact and a joy to carry and shoot. IIRC it cost me about $450 ten years ago in a local gun shop brand new. With the full length stock and very nice wood it is a nice looking rifle and I certainly like it a bunch. I have fired surplus 55 gr ammo in it by the case with decent results.

A Savage might be cheaper and better but it will not look as good. Ya pays your money and takes your choice.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Anschutz 1710 ....that legendary trigger, the perfect fit to you stock and accurate, but a little spendy at $2400

Otherwise savage or CZ......never Ruger anything

Aaron

Boolit Master
    I stumbled on a new one today. Walmart. Saw a camo Axis with a heavy barrel for $399. Turns out it is a new offering this year in .223 and .22-250 (and maybe others). On the shelf the Walmart tag said Axis XP so I had to look at it up close. Yep, it is an Axis II XP with the accutrigger. Bushnell 4-12 with AO.

Picked it up. Will try it out this weekend.

PS I notice that Cabelas and Sportsman's advertise it online now as well.

Good deal, charlie b. don't be afraid to shoot 5.56 x45 ammo in it. It'll take it!
    I've shot quite a bit of 5.56 in a number of Savage, Remington, and Ruger bolt actions with nary a problem but accuracy. I tuned an older Axis a few weeks ago (non Accu trig) and other than loading the mag I liked the gun and it shot great.

Boolit Master
    Tikka t3 shoots both with no problems.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    charles1990 - Folks that're shooting longer ranges for Coyotes / Rockchucks often find that a 62+ grain bullet (CB or j-word) will have a flatter trajectory, at longer distances, so it's easier to HIT what you're shooting at with heavier bullets; 50 grain ones'll lose velocity fast past a certain distance. So it depends on what you're shooting and what you're shooting AT and what range you plan to shoot at (And it sure seems like the Varmints get a vote, pesky things will be where ever is MOST inconvenient.) And personal preference of course. Paper targets are harder to knock down, but at least they're at more predictable ranges!

Boolit Master
    Yep, that's why I wanted to make sure that Savage used the longer throat to accept the heavier bullets. 1:9 twist so that's ok for anything less than 70gn and maybe even a little heavier if conditions are right. I'll be happy to shoot out to 500 or 600m.

You know this thread is over 7 years old.
    It is & I'm wondering how much of the warehouse full he has shot?

Boolit Master
    Took the Savage out to the range today.

Not really boresighted. Not even on the paper. After twenty rounds the scope worked loose. Tightened everything back up. Got it on paper. Was shooting about 1.5" groups at 100yds with Federal bulk ammo. Will try some better ammo next weekend and will try some shots at 200yd.

I like the gun. Will work on adjusting the trigger as well. Magazine fed well. Plastic latch worked well. I fed single rounds most of the day.

Cheap Bushnell scope (4-12x40 with AO) was nice and clear. Adjustments weren't bad. Got it zeroed easily. Have not checked change in zero with change in magnification or AO change.

Was so much fun I will get some dies for it and start loading.

Boolit Master
    Glad you like it - I think /everybody/ should have a bolt-action .223. The bullets in Fed Bulk are probably pretty poor, for handloading I'd try the Hornady Vmax first.

Boolit Master
    So far Sierra 69gn Matchkings will do less than 1" on regular basis. I had one group that was 10 rounds at 3/4". H335 powder, Rem primers.

Boolit Buddy

You .223/5.56 shooters might like to know that Midway is currently selling Speer 55 grain soft points for $77 per 1,000.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast