Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Paper patch bullets

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricklaw View Post
    It seems that most white paper has a lot of clay in it.
    There is a 'sticky' at the top of this forum section titled, "Paper 101".
    Spend some time reading that and you may decide to change that assertion of yours which I quoted.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    There is a 'sticky' at the top of this forum section titled, "Paper 101".
    Spend some time reading that and you may decide to change that assertion of yours which I quoted.

CM
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    The chances of you wearing out a rifle barrel in your lifetime with paper patched bullets is pretty slim. Wrap em load em and go have fun.
    Thanks to both Don and MTCharlie for their help on this. Catboat writes an excellent article in "Paper 101". Monday night I finished three pages on an Iphone before my eyes got droopy. He does say there is clay in paper, BTW. As I read more, I've learned that I need lead that is slightly over BORE size. Unfortunately, my molds don't match my barrels since I tried to buy molds .001-.002 over GROOVE size and Lee does not make a .301 push through to swage them down. The learning continues.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Well I don't know about the lead being over bore diameter part, under or right at is what I prefer, but I think going over bore diameter with the bullet it's self is not a good route to take. When you do that you end up having to seat deep so the bullet will chamber without messing the leading edge of the patch, that removes powder capacity and as patched bullets have a hard time getting greaser velocity , that's just to much backing up to suit me.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Howdy!
    for my 1874 Quigley Sharps, a Pedersolli, I love the PP bullet. See attached.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paperwrap45-70.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	78054
    Triple 7 BP sub. Mag primers and primer flash hole trued to .06" gives 3" groups, on a good day, at 200 yards. I love PP bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricklaw View Post
    I'd really like to hear a little more, from those with actual experience, on the issue of barrel life. It seems that most white paper has a lot of clay in it. Is the bore nice and shiny because the paper is taking off metal? I cast about 1k bullets this weekend and I'm curious to know before I invest a lot of time into this method.
    If your still following this thread.
    I hope a lot of the posters over the years this has been running have picked up a few things When we had the last primer shortage several years ago I kept the primer bricks marked for the rifle I used them in. In one of my Shiloh's I use the most I was on brick #16 and the biggest percentage; guessing 85-90% were shot with PP using 25-100% cotton, some Velum that has a lot of sizing in it and the bore still has sharp land edges and is as good as it ever was. Yes the reamer marks that were smoothen out when the button was pulled through are gone and it looks like it has been lapped but the bore is still .400 and the grooves are still.0039" deep and this has shot many more bricks of unmarked primer boxes since the last primer shortage.
    At my age I will never get this bore shot out in my life time.

Just shoot the PP and enjoy the extra work wrapping them

LP.

Howdy LP,
    I didn't keep my promise to the Sharps to never use lead to steel but it was just for a short time. She will never see another bare projectile again in my life time. I use a lapped oak plank 4" x 9" x 1" with a 3/16" slot parallel to the bottom so I can line up the paper to the long edge leaving the tail just over the bottom edge with the paper that is only just wet by my own saliva but not awash. The slot aligns the bullet to the nose stop clamped to the side and rolled up the board square so the paper edges are aligned. By rolling it several more times the paper stretches as the moisture is squeezed out to make the two edges meet. Then died thoroughly for 4 days and it is as tight as any jacketed bullet. They are lubed and run through the sizing die twice with a 90 degree rotation for lubing the paper. The result is as low as 1 MOA on a dead calm day and you forget all the work. What a joy!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    How about a few photos of your patching set up Westerner?
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Will do Pard. It might take a few as I am in the middle of wiring and lighting my new 950 square foot redwood deck that I built 3 feet above grade a couple years back. Got more difficult when I went into my 70s.

Hang in there. Worth waiting for.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I have not forgotten my commitment to put more on the subject here but the dear sweet wife was presented with some heart problems that culminated with heart surgery a month ago. All is well but taxing on this old salt. Her too of course.
    Paper jackets provide a great deal of satisfaction with the challenge they present in minute details to make them uniform and functional. I will be experimenting with a 450 grain taper sided swaged slug this year for longer range. There is a 1,000 yard facility about 3 hours from the house and they require you show targets at 200, 300 and 600 yards before they will let you onto the 1,000 yard line. Great fun!!!
    Wish I could afford the SASS life membership as I love the organization but my money has been going to the NRA and just became a Benefactor. The NRA is being vilified at every breath of the media parroting our current administration. The only semi-automatics I have is an old slab side Colt 1911 and my wife's 1100 Remington 20 ga. All the rest are old design for CAS. Hope I can get back here in the next few months with some pictures of my set-up. Be well my friend. Deadeye, a.k.a. (Larry) Lawrence Ashley Townsend.
    p.s. with a name like that you wouldn't think I was Scotch/Irish but proud to be that.

Townsend ... hummm ... that name rings a bell from somewhere in the dreaded past!

In Remembrance
    I was looking at the picture of your loaded cartridges, Westerner. What is the final bullet diameter when seated in the case?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

No problem, in life, family first. I hope things pan out for you. Four Fingers.

Im loving the sound of 3000fps! Especially if its pure lead, or 10bhn, i can swage some! Yay!!!!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Banned

old thread, but it's about ppb's so it's all good.

only way for me to go, i've totally abandoned greasers. ppb's are too easy to build, no real working of the brass means super long life and no annealing, no barrel leading, makes a virtual .45-90 out of a .45-70 due to the added 10 to 15 grains of black powder with just a single card wad, and the bore riding bullet that's just under bore size means no long OAL issues. ppb's should work fine in most chambers, as well.

besides, ya get to show off some really Big manly man cartridges.

Mighty fine looking ammo rfd, makes me want to dust off my Trapdoor and my BPCR!

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    How about a few photos of your patching set up Westerner?
    Maybe the Westener nailed his thumb to the redwood deck he is working on so I will post my method patching
    And I'm still trying to ware out my barrels
    MVI_2950 by Kurt, on Flickr

Banned

what i do too, kurt. uber easy. no jenny craig needed, either.

rfd it's like sprinkling a little bull durham on a piece of paper and rolling it between your fingers
    Cast in the morning and watch a good western on the western channel at night and roll a couple hundred by the time the movie is over.

Banned

kurt, added bonus is watching the boob tube with the wife while rolling the lead - good "together time" points.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast