MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Paper patch bullets

Boolit Master
    I have been Paper Patching and Naked Bullet shooting my original .565 cal Whitworth Match Rifle.At 300 yards the PP bullets shoot 12" Higher than the Naked bullets.The PP Bullets are the Naked bullets Swaged down and Wrapped.I guess there is a better seal with the PP Bullet.Elsewhere on this site I posted details of the Hollow Base Hollow nose Bullet as designed by Mr Whitworth.http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...ery/003-16.jpg

Boolit Master
    The Hollow nose has a Wooden Plug as per Whitworths design.I had lots of searching to find details of the Original bullet.The difference with My PPs is that they have Canelures but they do work and hit Nose on.
    PS the Large Calibre Whitworth has a Rifling Twist of 1 in 26 as opposed to the Normal .451 Whitworth Rifle that has a 1 in 20 Twist.
    Last edited by Col4570; 06-09-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    Notice Photobucket has suspended my Photos without notification.They demand a payment to continue.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Notice Photobucket has suspended my Photos without notification.They demand a payment to continue.
    it was bad enuf that they made it difficult to post images and proliferated everything with ads and links, and yep, now chumbucket is holding everyone hostage for a $400 annual fee in order to release all yer images on forums, blogs, social media, whatever, that you've been putting up for viewing and sharing for well over a decade. most despicable. there are FAR BETTER and FREE online image archive services to use. glad i dropped chumbucket a decade ago ....

Quote Originally Posted by martinibelgian View Post
    Bore or groove diameter PP? I'm lucky in that in my rifle I have the ability to shoot both under the best circumstances - meaning that I have to neckturn my cases for groove diameter bullets, which requires dedicated cases per type of ammunition (well, for me at least). Each type has its pluses and minuses, so here some observations in no particular order:
    - Groove diameter shoots cleaner than bore diameter, judging from the amount of fouling in the cases after shooting
    - Bore diameter is less delicate as to ammo prepping: Patch a groove-dia. bullet a smidgen too long, and you'll have a sore thumb...
    - Bore diameter - obviously - allows you to use more powder for a given case: can be plus or minus, depending or the case used
    - Accuracy? little or no difference actually, assuming correct loading techniques for both - but in my rifles equal or better than with GG bullets
    - Case prepping for groove dia. bullets is much more involved and time-cpnsuming, obviously - but that's in my specific case.

Bottom line, both work. For reference purposes, here the bullet/paper dimensions I'm using for both types:
    Bore dia. PP : .443 naked, patched to .450-1
    Groove dia. PP: .450 naked, patched up to .458-9

Just my experience, and I'm quite sure others will have different opinions; I can only say this works for me...

That's what works for me.

My naked bullet for bore dia. is .442 but it's close enough to your .443.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910