RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 45/70 light plinking load, need help

Boolit Buddy

45/70 light plinking load, need help

I am trying to develop a 50 yard plinking load, preferably subsonic, for my Marlin 1895 Guide gun. Since I am not a caster I purchased 190 gr. bullets (NOE #460-190) from Western Bullet Co. Been to the range twice working with Bullseye. Started with 8.0 gr. and it was 2-3” with some fliers. Today, I tried 4, 5, and 6 grains. None were as good 8 gr. Anyone here already been down this road with this bullet? Should also note that the Marlin is set up in the Scout configuration with a 3X pistol scope that provides a good view at 50 yards.

I use a 220 grain NOE mould(cast my own). I use 11 grains of Trail Boss and am very happy with this load. My daughter used to dislike my Marlin 45/70 because of recoil, but with this load she can shoot it all day. I think you could use your 190 with this load safely.

Boolit Buddy
    Have TrailBoss on hand so I will try it. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    You might as well start casting…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I've been down that road. Found with bullets lighter than 250 gr (with one exception) even Bullseye in the large volume 45-70 case does not ignite and burn efficiently until 8 gr + is used. That usually pushes a lighter bullet too fast and trans-sonic. I use 8 gr of Bullseye under a Rapine 460250 (270 gr) for 1050 fps and excellent interior and exterior ballistics.

The exception is the Rapine 460210 gr bullet. It is basically a WC with a slightly domed nose and a very deep HB. Seated almost flush with the case mouth it eats up a lot of volume. I use 6 gr of Bullseye under it for right at 1000 fps. Makes an excellent small game/vermin load. It's the left bullet. Unfortunately, Rapine has been out of business for some time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01091.JPE 
Views:	27 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	297136

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01092.JPE 
Views:	22 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	297137
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Larry.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    You might as well start casting…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    71 year old dog here. Learning a new hobby probably isn’t going to happen.

Boolit Grand Master
    My favorite plinker is a .457 round ball (they sell 'em) and 9 grains of Unique. Standard primer, no filler, set the ball half circumference into the mouth of the case, and go have some fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    My favorite plinker is a .457 round ball (they sell 'em) and 9 grains of Unique. Standard primer, no filler, set the ball half circumference into the mouth of the case, and go have some fun.
    Yeah, I will probably try round ball loads as well sooner or later. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    tejano -- I originally ran that out of a long barrel and it was accurate and enough to do small game. Very quiet! For a short barrel, I 'd play around with the powder load. slight variations will change it.

Boolit Buddy
    My only other 45/70 is a Browning BPCR that I purchased new more than 20 years ago. 30” barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Tejano

If you try the RBs lube them with LLA and let dry. A light coat is all that's needed. When I used RBs in the 45-70 I also used Bullseye. I used fire, unsized cases simply deprime/reprime and charge with powder. I then used a dowel to push the RB own on top of the powder. A mark on the dowel (actually a muzzle loader "short starter") ensured consistent seating depth. Start at 4 gr BE. I found best accuracy out of TDs was in the 800 fps range. They worked well but an actual cast bullets always were better.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again Larry.