Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Load Data for 230 gr .357

Load Data for 230 gr .357

Hello,

I am looking for some load data for bowling pin competition 230gr .357 Mag cast boolits. Anyone have some sources? I have some Universal powder on hand, but am looking for anything that would work.

Thanks,

Shane

Boolit Buddy
    I was given some 357 mag rounds at a gun store. I decided to break them down (I don't shot others reloads, so I just broke them down for the components). I orginally was expecting to find a 158 grain swc. What I found was a plain base 225 grain fp lead projectile, w/ 4.6 grains of what looks very much like Unique. The brass was regular 357 length, not cut down to 38 special size. I have not found the load anywhere. It piqueued my curiosity. Does anyone have 1) What the load was to be used for (very heavy projectile) 2) A source for a similar load?
    I will try to upload the pictures of the bullet, I would love to know which mold it is.
    Thanks!
    Jonathan

Boolit Master
    I shoot the 358627 Lyman bullet weighing 225 grains with 12 grains of WC 820 (lot 47320) for 1190 fps and a sd of 5, oh and a Federal 200. Starline cases.

230 grain lead pencil

AA #9 shot under the 230 grain lead pencil.
    9.0 grains in 357 magnum cases. Their's a link to where you can buy he bullet. 250 pcs for $20.

I've heard of Unique being used but would not think much velocity could be achieved.

http://www.reloadersauction.com/3835...s#220bc9c71f85

Boolit Master
    Yep, 9 gr AA#9 is what gets recommended for bowling pins.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

This would be a great place to start. The load data is all the way at the bottom of the page.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLyman358627.htm

anachronism
    I used to use about 4 grains of 700X for the 358627 for bowling pins. You could almost shoot that load without hearing protection, it was so quiet. As I recall, velocity was around 850 fps, about the same as a 45 ACP. The pins were VERY impressed with this load.

Groo here
    AA1680 at 90% under that big bullet will work but need a strong gun with a long cylinder..
    Check with Penn Bullets..

We used 7 gr of Blue Dot when we shot pins at Second Chance. 38 spl cases were used.

Thanks for all of the input, especially the internet links! It looks like AA#9 is the powder I'm leaning towards using.