WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mihec HG #503 Cramer hollow point

Mihec HG #503 Cramer hollow point

I recieved my mold today and had to fire up the pot for a quick casting session. Please forgive there being no pics but I am a dinosaur when it comes to tech stuff. I am sure pics will be posted by others who know what they are doing.
    I had bought one of the 200 gr. 452 hp molds Mihec had made and there are a few improvements. First thing I noticed was a better designed screws to connect the mold to the handles, not the Phillips screwdriver design. In my opinion a better screw using the Allen wrench Mihec provides. Second thing I noticed was the Cramer style hp pins can now be placed into the mold from either the left or right side. This is a big help for guys like me that use a Lee bottom pour pot.
    Time was limited so I could only cast a small amount of boolits and since I was going to shoot them out of a 44 Special, I chose the large round pin and the 5-pointed pin. After initial warm up the mold was producing a perfect boolit of each type on almost every cast. I was using straight WWs and the 5-sided pin was dropping boolits that averaged 238 gr. while the large round hole produced boolits averaging 245 gr. Both sets of boolits averaged .4315 on my mic. If they are all like my mold then I believe we have a winner! I would like to thank Mihec and Dale53 for making this group buy possible. I am now going to sign up for more of Mihec's group buys as I feel he is consistantly delivering quality products.

Boolit Grand Master

BoolitBill;
    Thanks for the quick report. I am going to suggest that everyone who is "up for it" give us a report on his/her experiences with the mould.

I will cast tomorrow and hope to have some pictures up within a day or so.

Later, this spring, I intend to do some performance testing including expansion tests. If things go as planned, there will be pictures and chronograph tests along with actual shooting for accuracy and expansion (using similar tests with water jugs and baled paper back up that Glen Fryxell has demonstrated).

We should be in really good shape by next hunting season with lots of REAL experience limited only by the number of our fellow "members" that step up to the plate.

We have the opportunity to build a large experience base using the various hollow point pins, various alloys, and shooting at various velocities in different handguns.

I, for one, am really looking forward to adding to the literature that is available to us.

All the best, to one and all,
    Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

Well, to try to remain true to my word (in spite of the fact the temperature dropped to 3 degrees last night) I hit the casting barn today. I DID wait until after noon for it to warm up a bit.

I preheated the mould on my trusty hotplate while the pot was heating.
    I used a rather soft alloy (equivalent to 50/50 WW's/lead). I forgot to add the tin but after I ran a few it was casting so well I decided to forgo the tin this time. My preference would have been to add 2% tin.

At any rate, the second mould full produced keepers. I had previously used a toothbrush and liguid hand soap to remove any preservative that might have been present. I selected the five sided pin (probably for the novelty of it as much as anything) as I wanted to try one of the two larger pins for my .44 Specials, first.

I watched the clock and stopped after 1 hour and 20 minutes (about emptied my pot with this alloy). I weighed the finished bullets and I had produced 15 lbs of finished bullets in this time frame. I consider that EXCELLENT results with a hollow point mould.

This mould hardly produced any waste at all that I could see. I have yet to lube/size them but don't expect to lose many.

I check weighed random bullets without examination. They weighed between 245-246 grs with this particular alloy. I suspect I'll need a bit harder alloy when using in the .44 Magnum - these bullets are destined for my .44 Specials. The randomly selected bullets (near a dozen) were + or - .6 a grain. I also consider that excellent results. They might have been a tad more consistent with the addition of my normal 2% tin, but who knows - that'll have to wait until another time. The diameter was .432" - I consider that perfect. I wouldn't ask for anything different with this mould.

This mould required NO break-in, no fiddling with, NOTHIN'. It just wanted to cast excellent bullets right from the "git go". Here's what a few look like:

All in all, it looks like we have a REAL winner here. I am near ECSTATIC!

Thank you, Miha, for a job well done (and then some!!).

Dale53

I also had good results casting with mine today. I just used straight WWs and let them air cool. I haven't weighed them, but they look good.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    Well then its 3 for good results with the new mold. My results mirror Dales. Although it took me about 3 casts before i got a good bullet. I was very critical on quality. After that almost all were keepers. I thought everyone said it was so hard to cast HP. LOL
    Side note Its 7:28 Am There are 2 deer at our gravity feed feeder (30 yards from the house) It must be almost empty. One of the deer eats al little, then it stomps its foot on the board that the feeder sits on. To make more come out.
    Back on subject. 3 things i did note though.
    A: During my session i switched back an forth between several molds. I found that on the pre:heat up it is easy to over heat the Cramer mold. when this happened the lead stayed molten in the mold for a very long time
    B: without thinking when i put the mold together i put the HP pint sticking out the right side of the mold as you hold it in the handles. Being a lefty i naturally hold it in my left hand. After you strike the sprue's, flip the mold over to drop the bullets. The pins are on the left side of the mold. So i would have to cross my arms to push the pins in to release the bullets. So from now on i will install the HP pins so they come out the left side of the mold as you are in the casting position.
    C: When i was inspecting the bullets later last night. i noticed a lot of the holes were slightly oblong. I was thinking there was 2 reasons for this. 1 I mite have been dropping the bullets too soon. 2 I mite have been holding the mold not exactly perpendicular for a strait drop. So the bullet as it was dropping was drug on the HP pin on one side the HP cavity
    I AM a newbie so take my finding with a grain of salt
    Kevin

I am still waiting on my buy order. Hope that when I get home from my vacation, it will be in my emails. Got home to find my sever full and fixed that problem, contacted Miha and after his 3rd time, I got my buy order so now I start my 11 day wait. Thankyou Miha for all of your patience and understanding. I love to do business with you. Hope you are able to make many more beautiful moulds for us.
    Last edited by hicard; 02-09-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Grand Master

kbstenberg;
    I think you have thought this through well. We are pretty much "snowed in" around here (not like other places, but cold enough and streets bad enough that I don't take unnecessary trips) - at any rate, I pulled out Elmer Keith's old books and in his 1936 text he mentioned the same things you were talking about. When casting hollow points he suggested to wait a bit before cracking the mould. Of course, if you wait too long, then the mould can cool down and you won't have good fill out around the pins. At any rate, it sounds like you are on the right track.

You CAN pre-heat ANY mould too much. I remember one time that I had the mould so hot that the metal soldered to the cavity (just in a few places, but that required me to remove it). This was an iron mould. My technique now, is to pre-heat just below the required temperature and let the first one or two casts to bring the mould up to casting temperature. That way, you will eliminate ALL potential problems.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Thank you Dale. Coming from you i take that as a complement.
    Kevin

Mine arrived today - wife saw it and said, "Wow, that looks fancy!" Small pins slipped right in and it locked up tight with them installed. Five sided pins took more force to install and don't slide as easy as the small pins; plus the mould will "rock" a little with the five sided pins installed. Large pins didn't want to go and I didn't force them. Anyone else have these issues? More importantly, what do I do to "adjust" the other pin sets?
    Tony

Vendor Sponsor

Look for some sharp edge on the leading pins. Sharp edge is sometimes on the end where is "wrench seat". Use some fine sand paper if this is the issue.

Other vise, lube the pins and give them few dry runs - they will break inn.

Do not force them in. They should go in just fine if you try to "align" them really good (90 degrees to the parting surface)
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Miha; thanks for the fix recommendations. I will definitely be buying more of your moulds.
    Tony

Boolit Bub
    All i can say is WOW!!! what a fun mold to cast with, just got done making about 75 keeper bullets in about 30 minutes....

cant wait to try the other pins!!

Adam

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I cast my first boolits with this mould last night. I preheated the mould after cleaning. I made 20 or so cast before I started keeping boolits. I wanted to make sure the mould was at operating temp and that I was getting well filled out boolits.
    Once I started keeping boolits I had very few rejects. I only tried the 5-sided pins. The boolits were a little fat measuring .433” - .4335”. The boolits were very round even at opposing sides from the mould. They weighed an average 239 gr with WW and 2% tin. The boolits were very consistent in weight.
    I’m sizing to .430” and the boolits sized easily in the Star.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Wow! My mold just arrived today. I sent the pay pal thingie last Monday and it arrived Saturday 6 days later.

What a beautiful piece of work this man has wroughtl. #3 sets of pins for hollow points, extra c clips, two allen wrenches and what is that cylindrical pin thingie?

Wassit it for? Why do I need it? I am clueless. I cannot wait to start to use it.

It seems to nice to get messed up with nasty lead alloy!
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Crash Corrigan, I believe you are talking about the top punch used in Lyman and RCBS Luge-sizers to push the bullet into the sizer die by the nose of the bullet.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Bub
    This mold is as close to Perfect as it gets! I`m VERY PLEASED! Great work Mihec and Thank You Dale.

Boolit Buddy
    Crash, just remember, use your mold handles !

Boolit Buddy

Hot Dog! I just received my mould in the mail and it looks great. My M-P moulds are definitely my favorites and I hope to be able to cast with this one within the week. Thanks a million Dale53 for shepherding us through this.
    Valley Forge

Okay....I'm curious....

What are these boolits actually dropping out of mould diameter-wise?

And how much do they weigh?

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

The diameter will vary depending on alloy. I am using a soft alloy (intended for the .44 Special) and the diameter is .432" and they weigh 246 grs nominal weight.

They are casting very uniform.

Happy? You BET!

Dale53

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast