Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Anyone own a GunVault?

Anyone own a GunVault?

I've been considering purchasing a GunVault MiniVault safe. It's the one with the 4 fingers on top. I would like to hear some first hand reviews or comments. Thanks!

They work.
    They are fast to get into.
    They offer good protection against curious children, but not against gorillas with crow bars.
    If you mount them in a car & then drive over a big bump, there is a good chance that the batteries will fall out & leave you locked out.
    They are kind of expensive these days.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

curious children are what i'm worried about. gun is sitting in my nightstand with a round in the chamber and 15 more in the mag right now, but in a couple years, i don't think it will be a good idea to keep it there. the mini is small enough to fit in the drawer. midway has it on sale for $87.99 right now. it is the 4 botton code that i'm unclear about. it looks like you just set your hand on it. i'm guessing the sequence on finger contact is what unlocks it. does that sound about right?

Moderator Emeritus
    They work great... The code is the sequence of buttons you push where each of your fingertips would be.

It is very easy to open, even in the dark.

I feel very safe having a loaded pistol in there, even with small children in the house. I don't worry about their friends either!

John

Boolit Master
    I have had one for years, they bolt to the floor and yes there are buttons under your finger tips that you punch in order that you choose and program in yourself. I love mine have a loaded gun right at hand with out ever worring about the grand kids getting ahold of it. They also come with a key that you can use to open it if you were to forget the combo or if the batteries were to ever go dead. Get one you won't regret it. Dennis

Boolit Buddy
    My battery died! and I took a crow bar to get my pistola back!

IIRC I seen a you tube of a crack for those. Might check it out.

Boolit Master

The batteries do run down, but they provide a key for that. Check that it works once a month or so. If you lose the directions on resetting your code after battery replacement, they are available on line.

I bought a different brand, from Midway, that is the size of the large GunVault, at about the price of the smaller one. Can't remember the brand off hand, but I'm pretty happy with it. Plenty of space inside, and easy to get into with the finger grooves, and has a key just in case. It also has an alarm (like a car alarm or smoke detector) that goes off if somebody shakes it or knocks it hard, trying to break in. It also has a handle on top and a detachable base, so if you buy an extra base to mount in your car, you can have a portable gun safe.
    I would buy the same model again if mine dies.

Edit to add: This is the one I bought: DAC SportSafe It's on sale from Midway right now too.
    You can turn off the beeper when opening it, I didn't like the beeps either.
    Last edited by yondering; 02-05-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I am satisfied with mine...change the battery every year or so and keep the key in a place I can remember just in case.

I'd use an easy to remember key pad sequence in case your heart gets to pounding and you haven't used it in a while.

Minor complaint: The beeps when pushing the pads are kind of loud and sound really loud on a quiet night, kind of tips off whomever that something is up. dvnv

Boolit Buddy
    I have had one for several years. Like it well. Open it at night, close it in the morning.

Don

Boolit Master
    At Chinamart they sell a keyed one for about $25ish....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thenaaks View Post
    I've been considering purchasing a GunVault MiniVault safe. It's the one with the 4 fingers on top. I would like to hear some first hand reviews or comments. Thanks!
    Heck! I don't remember sitting on top of no vault??????
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."