Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder thats bulky but "faster than W296/H110?

Boolit Master

Powder thats bulky but "faster than W296/H110?

Is there a powder out there that can be used in a Ruger 45 LC case that "bulks up" to near case capacity and provides great accuracy (not asking much am I). I dearly love W296/H110 and 2400 for that matter, but I'm looking for something that is not so sensitive for other than full case fulls like 296/110.

Read a web post about W680 but also read some rough stuff about the same.

The same poster talked about IMR having a pamphlet in the 70's that told about pressures in all of there powders in revolver cases.

Has anyone seen such a Manufacture pamphlet? I would really be interested in having a copy.

With the cost of powders I am looking to use what I have if I can, hope you understand.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Changeling;788558]Is there a powder out there that can be used in a Ruger 45 LC case that "bulks up" to near case capacity and provides great accuracy (not asking much am I). I dearly love W296/H110 and 2400 for that matter, but I'm looking for something that is not so sensitive for other than full case fulls like 296/110.

Seems to me you answered your own question. Whats wrong with 2400? You have it. You love it. It fills the case up so much so as not to be able to double charge. You can use either standard or magnum primers. It versatile plus I'll bet it's accurate with a charge of 17 - 19 grains with a 250 PBSWC. At least it is in my BH. What's the problem?

Winelover

Boolit Master
    What your looking for is Alliant Steel. About the same burn rate as 2400 but being a flake powder far bulkier.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Is there a powder out there that can be used in a Ruger 45 LC case that "bulks up" to near case capacity and provides great accuracy (not asking much am I).
    4759 is about as bulky as it gets in the same burn rate class and it can be loaded down unlike the balls. 5744 is also right there.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Banned

I cant think of a single powder that will work in a 45 colt thats faster burning then 110 but fills a case. Herco would be my best advise but that wont fill the case.

The 4227 powders might work for you. I know they work well in my .44's. My 45 Colt is STILL back at Ruger so I can't speak to that yet.

Boolit Master

I keep lookin & comparin BUT . How `bout Jeff Bartletts 2400 , says it`s slower than alliants 2400 but uses the same data , bulker or just more in the case to match canister grade 2400s fps????
    GP100man

Banned

steel or 800-x.
    you wanna fill a case try 4895 in the 45 that'll fill it right up.
    your velocities will be lower but it'll do what you want.
    oh b.t.w. the bulky powders need to be weighed individually.
    800-x is about as large as will flow with any consistancy.
    steel don't weigh out in anything iv'e tried it in, even volumnmetric measures.
    it shoots good though.

Boolit Master
    How about Trail boss? I think I read that it is about the burn rate of 4227 but at about 1/2 the density. The trail boss will limit the velocity though. With the Alliant Steel and mag handgun cases we seem to run out of case capacity before we reach a pressure limit.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master
    There is nothing wrong with 2400/296/H110 but try finding it in my area at a price where you don't have to put a 2nd mortgage on your house, or just plain finding it. Everybody wants this three.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll give it all some more thought and also start writing the powder manufacturers maybe they will see the need and develop something in my lifetime, yea right.
    Last edited by Changeling; 01-24-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GP100man View Post
    I keep lookin & comparin BUT . How `bout Jeff Bartletts 2400 , says it`s slower than alliants 2400 but uses the same data , bulker or just more in the case to match canister grade 2400s fps????
    I'm not familiar with Jefff Bartletts 2400 (never heard of it actually). I'll do a search and see what I can come up with regarding it.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    N110 is a bulky 2400, and is single base. N120 is 4 grains slower, and is a bulky 4227. One of those two will fill that Colt case well, but at an expense. Best to have a match quality gun that can appreciate the expense. Both are less bulky than 4759. ... felix
    felix

I like power pistol for the 45 colt.I haven't seen any powder better for midloads.My redhawk shoots the rcbs 270saa into 2 to 3 inch groups at 50 yards with iron sights.

Boolit Master
    Blue dot should get pretty close to filling the case to the bullet. It wuold be a pretty stiff load though. You can back off a long way without problems. Don't know about accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I agree with 45r on Power Pistol--it would probably do very well for you. It is not a very bulky powder though. Very small flakes.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

I tried WC680 in the 45 Colt, even with 300 grain boolits it did not burn well at all. Works real well in the 44 mag. with 310 grs. Boolits though.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    I bet wc820 would work for you. neeeds a heavy for cal bullet,
    or a mag primer & heavy crimp!

Boolit Master

Or, you could figure out how much Cream of Wheat it would take to fill up the rest of the case and use it as a wadding.
    I ain't never tried it, but after reading a couple of articles on doing that, I'm tempted!
    EW

Boolit Master

Blue dot for reduced loads that still bulk up pretty good.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

I've been working with SR 4759 in the .45 LC lately. So far, I can tell you that 18.0 grs under a 255 lead will do 853 fps with mild pressures...More to come

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast