RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: best brand brass for BPC?

Boolit Master

best brand brass for BPC?

Loooong time muzzleloader & caster and I just got a 45-70 bbl for my Encore. As I begin the trek into the modern world what is the best brass for 45-70? Does you recomend that I buy loaded ammo and then reload the brass or just start with the fixins from the begining? Seems like the loaded ammo route might be $ prohibitive unless that is the only way to get the good brass. Give me an idea of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice and what to avoid. Thanks, 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Mostly I use Winchester brass. I do have one rifle that really likes Remington nickle brass.
    Take your pick in brass brands, and go from there.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to shoot Black Powder in your rifle, Winchester holds the most powder and the brass also holds up well. It is my choice for the .45/70.

If you are going to use smokeless, any of the major brands will work well.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    +1 to what Dale said. I load Winchester brass cause I can stuff about 80 Grains of FFg Wano powder in it (with a tapered boolit). When you shoot long range the extra oomph helps. If you don't need the extra get up and go, then Starline is the thickest I think and if you look after it (keep it clean and anneal it when needed), then you will have to work hard to wear it out.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master

10 ga would you keep us posted on your progress on your 45-70 I have been thinking about buying one for my Encore, thanks

If smokeless is your choice then Remington brass is excellent. I'm still using 45-70 Remington brass that I've reloaded at least 50 times and it still works great. Winchester brass, as noted, is thinner and holds more powder. Remington brass is thicker and a bit softer. The softer brass will not require annealing as quickly as the harder brass that work hardens faster.

Boolit Buddy
    I have not found that Rem brass is thicker then Win, just that the web of the Rem brass is taller
    and holds 5grs vol less. I do like Win brass but try and find it now in 45-70. I like Starline too,all my cases have held up well in all brands. Annealing is the first thing I do with new cases and on every third loading. Starline seems to be available now in BPC's now and really can't go wrong there. If your worried about velocity in BP loads you get more out of Swiss powder ,than any other.

Boolit Master

I use Remington, Winchester and Starline for black powder cartridge and they all give long life but I slip fit not resize.

I use Remington for offhand loads as the loads are lighter and therefore the reduced volume is desireable.

I use Winchester for 300 and 600 yard sitting/prone loads which are fairly stout,

I use Starline for 800/900/1000 "Nuke" 3F loads for my 45-70

I use Buffalo stretched Remington brass for my 45-90

All appear to give good service. My mentor gets twenty something loads out of the brass before retireing it to the scrap bucket.

Boolit Master

I kinda like Starline brass for my BPCR 50-90. I anneal them prior to use and I have loaded them over 10 times without any problems. I am careful to deprime them quickly after shooting and drop them into a gal jug of dawn and water.

When I get home I clean them with a brush inside in very hot water and more dawn detergent. I do not bother to clean them in a tumbler and after drying I prime them again after I brush out the primer pockets.

As these babies cost a lot of money I tend to baby them to achieve the most out of them and so far I like these Starline cases pretty well. I guess I will anneal them again pretty soon as I do not want any splits from overworking the brass but since I do not crimp these cases they do not get worked over too much.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Source...not brand

My source for 45/70 brass is a guy called nuts4bolts on gunbroker. You have a choice of brands and he combines shipping in flat rate boxes. I've had several transactions and the brass is always better than he describes.

You gotta love a guy who posts a picture of a grain bin full of 45/70 brass and a scoop shovel!

I've been happy with my Starline brass. I have not had it long enough to put more than three firings on any of the cases but, so far so good. Right now availability isn't that great so prices may be slightly higher. Good luck and enjoy shooting this fun cartridge.

I prefer Winchester brass for single-shot BPCR shooting and Starline for my lever guns.

I am with the other gentlemen on the subject. For BPCR in 45-70 I like the Winchester brass because I can get a little more Swiss 1.5 FG in there. The 45-70 does not exactly have too big a case capacity for BP, although it is adequate, though if I were a long, long range shooter I would probably go for a 45-90 or bigger. There does come a point of diminishing returns with huge cases. I do not think you could go wrong with any good quality brass such as the ones mentioned in other posts.

Don't make much difference one way or the other for that Encore!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    +1 on the post by Rick Your Encore will work with any of the brass that you buy or find. If you start with new brass and anneal your case necks then you will have a good start to many loading sessions. Some years back when the interest in BPLR came about the 45-70 case was made in very small lots. The Winchester case had the largest water volume, The R-P's had a rep of split necks. Then Starline came on the scene with the strongest hull made. By being the strongest they also hold less. It's a shooter's choice
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
    Correct.
    The difference in capacity between Winchester and (say) Remington brass has application when placing a 540 grain bullet at 1000 yards.
    With an Encore, you will probably only fire a 500+ grain bullet once...and will most likely confine your shooting to 350 grain bullets.

With bullets that short, you will be have plenty of room in the case for all the powder you can stand.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=90608

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Cast Boolits Owner

I tend to have more Starline than anything else. I have just started to anneal their cases just because I read on their web site that it should be done but never did before and never seemed to have a problem.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master

I bought straight from Starline, 250 round bags.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006