RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 444 cases 410

Boolit Buddy

444 cases 410

what size primers do i use large pistol or large rifle? can i use any reloading data for the 410 ? do you use 44 gas checks or paper wads? also can you get away useing 44 mag dies or do i need to buy a set of 444 dies? do you have to anneal the cases? how about loading 3 to 4 .429 ball in the cas as a buckshot load i am loading them for a bond arm 410 ammo is getting to pricey

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have used all of the things you have mentioned above at one time or another when fashioning 410 cartridges from 444 cases except annealing. I'm currently experimenting with a duplex load of #1 and #4 buck. I have found that using conservative 2.5" 410 data is best and I like Unique powder. I am careful when I use paper over shot wads, not so careful when I use a gas check, I am thinking maybe I can double or triple the paper wad and it will be strong enough to stand being handles. They work well in a Judge or a single shot or double gun but won't feed in a Winchester 9410 or a Mossberg pump gun. I use 444 dies, as its easier to size and crimp.
    Good shooting!!!

Boolit Master

Brass .410 Shotshell Cases

Last summer I bought a box of 25 brass .410 shotshells, 2.5 inch length, from Midway. They take a large rifle primer. Lots easier than trying to make from .444.

Boolit Man
    I don't think you can use 429 round balls! Think about it, 410 bore =.410. .429 is a lot oversized to try to stuff down a 410". Not sure what a "bond arm" is, so maybe that is one of those revolvers that actually have a 429 bore, in which case no big deal.

You can always put 3 or 4 000 buckshot in a wad. 3 429 roundballs is .78oz. 4 would be OVER 1 ounce. I don't know 410 reloading data very well, but 4 seems like it would be way too much. I don't even remember if you can go 3/4 ounce in a 3" shell.

3 000 balls would be 1/2 ounce, 4 would be .67 oz, less than the 11/16 oz loads I remember from the brief time I had a 410.

Edit: Lookup bond arms and see they make the 45lc/410 derringer, so the 429 ball size isn't a problem. However, weight probably still is (unless you found some good data somewhere)
    Last edited by Spudgunr; 02-06-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I tried all brass .410 hulls but had problems ejecting them from my Bondarms Snake Slayer. After shooting them once in it they will need to be resized. The .45/.410 chambers are quite large for .410 (keep in mind they also chamber .45 Colt).

I started reloading my once fired plastic hulls. I cut the crimp off of the hull, load 16.5-17.5gr. of IMR4227, seat a WAA410HS wad, 1/2 oz shot, then caped it with cardboard disk & sealed with hot glue.

I use the hulls from factory loads that I have fired in my Stoeger single shot .410. Once they've been fired in the BA Derringer they won't chamber in a normal sized chamber. I've tried Fed & Win hulls, the Feds are usually only good for one reload (get splits after that). The Win hulls hold up better but haven't reloaded them more than twice.

The BA Derringer is one tough shoot'n iron. I feel confident it can handle these loads with no problems.

This is what I did. I posted this for information purposes only.
    Use at your own risk!!!
    If you blow your fool self up, don't come crying to me!!!

Boolit Buddy
    the 429 balls will work, since the barrel is a .452 rifled barrel with a 410 chamber.

seems like a waste to reload for a gun that basically uses the case as the barrel.....

Harmon
    A.F.A.M.

I fire form them out of .303 British. Many steps involved but it works for me.

DD

Boolit Master
    I use 444 cases with a cup side down 44 gas check a card wad and 3/4 oz shot and another card wad and a little silicone sealant. They work rather well. I wouldn't use balls much larger than 410 as that is the bore size on 410 shotguns and most have some choke in them. I don't know why they would be any more difficult than loading brass 410 cases. Maybe I missed something.

Boolit Master
    I did miss the 45/410 thing. Try some 460S&W cases and see how much shot or 45cal balls you can put in one of those. If that doesn't work out, fire form some 444s and reload without sizing. Keep the pressure in the 45Colt area and it should work fine

Boolit Master
    The 444 rim was too thick to chamber and lock up in my .410 pump, so I had to file the rim down a little. I used a fired large pistol primer and filed down so the pistol primer was just flush. The pistol primer was seated deep when I started. It chambered fine then. I use an old 44 mag case sharpened on the mouth to punch out card wads from old soda boxes. I shoot 5 and 6 shot and don't find any need to size. I find large pistol primers work fine.

Keith

Boolit Master

I too found that shooting brass cases in a 45/410 barrel distorted the cases since the chambers are sloppy account of the chamber being sized for 45 colt. I also just use regular 410 hulls with the crimp cut off and I use card wads glued in place. Works fine and with being a little inventive you can use regular reloading tools. I use a universal deprimeing die to take out the primers with no shell holder in place on my press so the larger primers fall through. I have a older extra Mec Jr I just made a rod out of a piece of arrow with a bolt epoxied in the one end to fit to the press to seat the primers in the primer seating stage of the press. I then hand load the hull by hand adding the powder with a dipper then seating the plastic shot wad and then using a dipper for the shot also. Then glue in a over the shot wad. They work fine.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Bub
    The first ones that I loaded was before I got the red plastic wads. I used a wad of dryer lint sandwiched between two card wads. It was crude but it worked.

Boolit Master

I use 13 grains of 2400.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Modern .45 Colt handguns that shoot .410's are just that...an elongated .45 Colt chamber, which happens to be fairly oversized when compared to a .410 chamber.

If you are going to load brass hull .410's, you'll need to invest in a set of full length .410 bore sizing dies. CH4D makes full length .410 dies, and these will work for all shotguns (in a regular reloading press, not a shotgun press, and you will need the correct shellholder.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Griffith View Post
    Modern .45 Colt handguns that shoot .410's are just that...an elongated .45 Colt chamber, which happens to be fairly oversized when compared to a .410 chamber.

If you are going to load brass hull .410's, you'll need to invest in a set of full length .410 bore sizing dies. CH4D makes full length .410 dies, and these will work for all shotguns (in a regular reloading press, not a shotgun press, and you will need the correct shellholder.)

From what I seen the way it distorted the 444 brass I would suspect that the larger chambers would really over work the brass. Just wondering what the life would be on them all brass 410 hulls?

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    If you just shoot 45 C in the judge with homemade shot loads , the throw weight of shot is virtually the same as that of 2 1/2 inch factory shotshells. The velocity is slower though. For things such as snakes, it just doesn't matter. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Moderator Emeritus

Fireform 9.3x74R if you can find em. they are a good bit longer than the 444 and fit the 45/410 chambers better.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    From what I seen the way it distorted the 444 brass I would suspect that the larger chambers would really over work the brass. Just wondering what the life would be on them all brass 410 hulls?
    That's why you need to use the Magtech or old Fiocchi/Alcan .410 brass instead of .444 Marlin brass.

I just saw that I failed to include this bit of information.

Of course, you could invest in some heavy RMC brass, and they make it up to 3" and you'll never have to size it...but it's expensive, plus it will last forever.

Prices have gone up since they put the prices on the website:
    http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/page7.html

Boolit Master

Just wondering if that would be worth it with a Encore 45/410 barrel as I shot some of the Russian Steel cases with those buckshot loads and one of the cases cracked right up the middle of the case and the others while they did not crack you can see they also fire formed to the chamber with the from about one half inch from the base fine and the rest enlarged. I only shot one box I sold the rest to a friend of mine for what I had into them.