WidenersLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Another Slug Question

Boolit Bub

Another Slug Question

I've been researching loads for Lee slugs, all the while thinking I would shoot them in my NEF Pardner single shot. I just dug it out of my safe and noticed it has a full choked barrel on it. Could that cause any over pressure issues?

I'm trying to follow published data for my loads, but have $0.00 to buy new components with. There for my hull/wads may not match the data exactly. I'll be using Rem STS hulls & WAA12 white wads.

I have a Russian made double barrel coach gun with cylinder chokes that I could use, but don't think the barrels in it are as strong as the NEF.

Any ideas?

P.S. Will be casting with pure lead.

P.P.S. The Barrel on my NEF has rifle sights on it. That makes me wonder if it was meant to shoot slugs, but then why the full choke? Wouldn't a cylinder or mod choke be better for slugs?
    Last edited by Deadeye; 02-04-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    The full choke & rifle type sights would suggest to me that it's intended for Turkey hunting. My Mossberg 535 "Turkey Gun" has rifle type sights.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    Yea, after I said that it dawned on me that was a Turkey gun (I'm a little slow sometimes). I'm thinking now I may be able to get a rifled choke tube for a spare 870 barrel that I have. That should solve any barrel issues & work better any who.

After reading all the posts on these lee slugs, I started wondering about the wads getting stuck in the drive key issue. It's my understanding that the wad is supposed to dig into the drive key at least a little to give it some spin as it passes thru the rifling. If so it would seem to me that using nitro or card wads under the slug (or filling it up with hot glue etc) would defeat the purpose.