Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Help with loading slugs

Help with loading slugs

Finally got all the components to load up some slugs. Although I've been reloading for over 25 years this is my first attempt at reloading shotshells. I'm using a Lee Load All II, 12 guage. Lee 1oz slugs, Win AA hulls, WAA12 wads, 35.5 gn Herco. During the final crimp some of the cases get a crease right below the wad (only on one side) and the shell is noticably bent. I watched a video on youtube and tried putting the slug in the wad and seating them together - really messed up the nose of the slug. Started seating the wad then pushing the slug in by hand. A real PITA and every few one of the petals would fold and I'd ruin the slug, wad and sometimes the hull trying to get it out. at first I thought the crease was because I didn't seat the slug low enough (that may still be the problem) and I tried to seat it as far down as I could push it with my finger. Still every few cases I get one with the crease. Not sure if they will feed well or not. I would think when I shoot them the crease will be ironed out.any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Bub
    Maybe try a wad with a shorter leg section.

Boolit Bub
    ETG,
    I also experienced your exact conditions when I loaded the LEE in AA hulls. They seemed to be too thick. (of course that what makes them a great hull) Mine also 'printed' the outside of the case. One could see the crown of the slug pushing the hull out. Many were hard to chamber.

We changed over to Federal Gold medal and sometimes the Remy Gun Club hulls. These are thinner plastic which gives the slug and wad a little extra room. You'll probably have to change the wad also. Feds have a different base and I think we are using Feds SP3? (I'm not at the bench)

There is a great LEE slug thread here somewhere. Save it or print it out. If you find something that works, add to that thread.

'da Kid

Here 'ya go:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=drive

Boolit Master

Try the shorter WAA12R wad with a 20ga. cork or two under the slug.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I just got started on doing this, but I think I'm lucky in that I'm not using the lee loader.

I've got an older pre-1980 MEC600jr press, and I've had issues seating the slug (I'm loading 7/8oz LEE) & WAA12 wad separately too. I resorted to putting them into the shotshell all at once. So far I've been fairly lucky.

I charge the shell with primer & powder, then put the slug into the wad, lower the 'wad insert bushing' or whatever has those little metal fingers on it, and then I put a small wooden dowel between the slug and the seating punch/tube on my loader. This carefully presses the assembled wad & slug into the shell just fine, and it doesn't notably deform the slug either!