Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Which mold handles to purchase for lyman 525-grain slug mold?

Which mold handles to purchase for lyman 525-grain slug mold?

What type of Lee mold handles are needed for a Lyman 525-grain sabot slug?

I heard that the Lyman mold handles are a bit expensive for what you are getting. And I have also read that Lee makes great ones for cheaper.

But when I surfed the net for Lee mold handles, I am not sure which Lee model to purchase.

I am also aware that they will need to be slightly modified to fit the Lyman slug mold, but that should be no problem.

Thanks.

In Christ: Raymond

Boolit Grand Master

Lee only makes one mould handle sold seperat from the mould. It's for their 6 cavity mould but it does fit lyman single and duel cavity moulds with no modification. It needs slight modification for RCBS moulds.
    Aim small, miss small!

Sorry about that. I guess it was the LYMAN handles that came in different sizes.

Do you think it is worth getting the Lyman mold handles, or a similar-priced set? Or should I just save my shekels, as the Lee mold handle will do just as good?

If the sturdiness and construction are similar, I'll just save my money.

But if there is a very noticeable difference...well then...

Boolit Master
    Get the LEE then when you get a six cavity mould you will have them. Production goes up dramatically with the six cavity. Lead levels go down dramatically also.

Freightman,

why do the lead levels go down dramatically when using 6-cavity molds?

Is it because you can get more bullets done faster, hence you are exposed for less time?

Boolit Master
    I wonder if it is like reloading.. some people think reloading saves you money.. In my case, I don't save a dime, I just shoot twice as much on the same dime.. If I crank out 3 or 6 times as many boolits, shouldn't it follow that I'll cast just as much but now shoot 3 or 6 times more?

SargenV,

what do you recommend?

Should I get the Lee, the better Lyman...or go for broke and get one of the RED RIVER RICK'S models?

It seems to me, from what I hear, that the cheaper mold handle would be better for this "once in a while" caster. (Unless I should start casting many different boolits, which would then make the better quality brand the preferred choice).

PS: I was hoping to swing by your place today or tomorrow. But between my head cold (screaming head pressure), the rain, and a few locksmithing jobs in the works, my time has been gone. I'm currently resting at the moment - until the crazy schedule stsrts again tomorrow morning.

Raymond, Freightman wasn't talking about blood lead levels, he was talking about the lead level in your casting pot. Those 6 cav's will empty a pot quickly in the heavier weights, especially if you check into BRUCEB's casting technique. It's in a sticky somewhere. Amazing output capability.
    That 525 grain Lyman should take either the large-size Lyman handles (the old 2 cav. size) or I have heard that the newer 4 cav. plier-type handles also fit. I haven't tried the new Lyman 4 cav. handles, but Red River Rick's handles are VERY nice.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I am of the school of get whatever fits for the right price.. I still have a mold that my other handles don't fit... which is ok, I'm not in a need for full wadcutters right now

Lead level in the pot.. lol True that 6 cav empties the pot a LOT faster.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd go with the Lee handles. They are cheaper, more versatile and work fine. They are built very rugged and should last a lifetime as long as you don't abuse them. For the money you can buy several sets compaired to other handles.
    Aim small, miss small!

Hullo, google KAL, these handles are hard to beat, the Lee six cavity handles should work for you IMHO
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Hooo-Weeeee!

I received my Lee Pro 4-20 and Lyman sabot slug mold today.

Gotta give Graf & Sons a big thumb's-up for their Warp-12 service. (Ordered the pot on the 2nd, and received it on the 5th).

Now I need to order a few Lyman ingot molds, and the Lee handles, and I will be "Cookin with Crisco"!

Hey folks,

I have a quick question.

I was looking at the pour hole on the sprue plate, and it sure looks pretty small for a rapid pour hole. (900-degrees at a high flow rate for Lyman sabot slugs).

I measured the little hole in the new sprue plate, and it was exactly .150", as per my Dillon caliper. But when I measured a dimple hole on top of a pre-made Lyman slug, it measured exactly .170.

That is a pretty significant difference.

Should I leave the sprue plate pour hole "as is"...or should I open it up a touch, and then bevel it out?

Just curious to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    OK about the Lyman handles. They are better than the Lee handles, you may "use up" the wooden portion of the handles and need to replace...but I have never seen a worn out set of Lyman handles in regards to the metal portions. I have a set of saeco handles....they are HEAVY but I have never seen a better made set of handles, the metal thimbles are crimped between the wood and metal....they look like a multi generational type of tool handle, IE your grandkids kids will still be using them.

The Lee handles are fine as long as you somehow affix the wood to the metal, roll pinning or gluing with high heat silicone are two ways I have seen, I have roll pinned thru the sheet metal thimble and it worked well for me.

If you do not affix the handles somehow they will want to come loose and split....and they typically come loose just about when a mold starts "working".

And I have never seen a spru hole too SMALL on a commercial mold. I had one of those molds like you pictured and the sprue hole was big enough IMHO as it came.

Be aware that the slugs cast from that mold will look nothing like they were born after they travel about 6" down the bore, they collapse down into a little thing about 1/2 caliber long....some folks fill the hollow base with hot glue or other substances to help avoid that.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Thanks, Honcho-Willbird.

I was just looking at the Lee mold at this very moment, and I wanted to make sure that I needed the 6-cavity mold model. (Based on SlowElk45/70, that's correct, right)?

I was also contemplating going up to the Lyman mold handles if they were worth it...and it looks like they might be. If I decide on the Lyman mold handle, what size is needed for the Lyman 525-grain slug mold? (I will also look into the Saeco mold handles as well, now that you mentioned them).

I have also been reading about "filler material" for the hollow base of the Lyman slugs.

I have loaded hundreds, if not thousands, of these factory-made slugs in the past. But now that I am going to be casting them myself (and doing the ground work and research), I am reading more and more on hollow bases collapsing.

If this will effect the accuracy (of course it will, as the ballistic coeffeciency will be changed), I will need to do some research for the best "filler" for the hollow base.

More later.

But thanks again on the handle info!!!

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I am not sure on the lyman size needed, but my gut instinct says the 1 cavity will be too small.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about Slow Elk ?
    Both ends WHAT a player

Slow Elk...post #11, above.