RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Can there be a mismatch of ingredients?

Boolit Master

Can there be a mismatch of ingredients?

I am interested in making some lube for myself basically for kicks and to get what I think is important right or wrong.

I would really like to make Mr. Fryxell's formula with the addition of some carnuba, bees wax, and input from the forum on molding it into hollow sticks for a RCBS luber. I just like what he had to say about his molly lube.

I would like to get into a stick consistence that wouldn't be messy in box's or revolver.

Know nothing about making lubes.

Boolit Master
    Some combinatons and/or cooking techniques tend toward stratifcation as the lilquid cools. Then you have two, or more, variations of lube. Use of soap bases that still have residual lye may give you the potential to soaprinize the fats.ooils you use to be more homogenous. Or at least that is the story as I listened to it. Sorcery and science are oft confused.

prs

Banned

once you start adding to a lube you can see what it does pretty quick.
    adding more of something changes the lubes characteristics but it could be in a beneficial way.
    adding b-wax and lanolin vs's b-wax and carnuba will give a totally different consistancy to the lubes.
    if i were to use moly grease i would not be inclined to use it as the main lube because of it's consistency but as a secondary for a firmer lube.
    some of the stearate and moly lubes have a thicker viscosity but remain pliable with the addition of lanolin.
    have a goal in mind when you add to or start a lube and take notes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    once you start adding to a lube you can see what it does pretty quick.
    adding more of something changes the lubes characteristics but it could be in a beneficial way.
    adding b-wax and lanolin vs's b-wax and carnuba will give a totally different consistancy to the lubes.
    if i were to use moly grease i would not be inclined to use it as the main lube because of it's consistency but as a secondary for a firmer lube.
    some of the stearate and moly lubes have a thicker viscosity but remain pliable with the addition of lanolin.
    have a goal in mind when you add to or start a lube and take notes.
    It definitely appears you know more about lube than I will ever even come close to knowing!

Sending you an email.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    Some combinatons and/or cooking techniques tend toward stratifcation as the lilquid cools. Then you have two, or more, variations of lube. Use of soap bases that still have residual lye may give you the potential to soaprinize the fats.ooils you use to be more homogenous. Or at least that is the story as I listened to it. Sorcery and science are oft confused.

prs
    Something I didn't know, only 1,567,389 things to go, I think I chewed off to much. The things you say make sense, actually to good of sense, LOL.

" Sorcery and science are oft confused.", Actually this is very true, I firmly believe in both. It is impossible for there to be "GOOD" and no "EVIL". And science, sometimes I think we would be a lot better off without so much!

Moderator Emeritus

Don't try to make hollow sticks, just pour it in the sizer and let it cool. That is infinitely easier than making sticks. As for the Moly lube, I would start by making Glen's formula unaltered and see how it shoots. Then start adding things to stiffen it a bit if needed to keep it from being tacky/sticky and see how that effects how the lube shoots. Remember, how great it looks on the boolit or how nicely it sits in the drawer is immaterial if it doesn't shoot well.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Banned

it is will but the lube staying in the grooves and not everywhere is part of my lubes criteria.
    iv'e made some great lubes but i hate wiping the gun down every cylinder full.
    it's cool to not have to lube cases for sizing though.

changeling.
    p.m.ing me here is a better way to get hold of me.
    I check here everyday but rarely [if ever] check my e-mail.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    Don't try to make hollow sticks, just pour it in the sizer and let it cool. That is infinitely easier than making sticks. As for the Moly lube, I would start by making Glen's formula unaltered and see how it shoots. Then start adding things to stiffen it a bit if needed to keep it from being tacky/sticky and see how that effects how the lube shoots. Remember, how great it looks on the boolit or how nicely it sits in the drawer is immaterial if it doesn't shoot well.
    Seeing how it shoots!!!! Now why in the heck didn't I think of that. Great point wiljen.

Runfiverun, OK, I'll do it.

It's pretty easy to make sticks. I use a 1" pvc to make solid sticks. Making the hollow center only require the addition of a smooth bolt w/ some release agent & a washer at the bottom to hold everything in place. I agree though, pouring into a sizer is easier. I would suggest a trial run by pan lubing a few bullets. It's tough to get the lube out of the sizer once in.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    It's pretty easy to make sticks. I use a 1" pvc to make solid sticks. Making the hollow center only require the addition of a smooth bolt w/ some release agent & a washer at the bottom to hold everything in place. I agree though, pouring into a sizer is easier. I would suggest a trial run by pan lubing a few bullets. It's tough to get the lube out of the sizer once in.
    it is easy to get the lube out, just boil the sizer. Messy, but easy.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Banned

i open the plug on the side,pull the sizer, and turn up the heater. put a bowl under it and wait a bit it all runs out.
    but i use stars.