RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well it finally happened - paying for wheel weights

Well it finally happened - paying for wheel weights

I've netted about 150 lbs of ww ingots by asking at local shops. So far, it's all been free. Yesterday, a guy at a tire shop said he sells a 5 gal. bucket for $35 to $40. I walked away since I'm spoiled to getting them free for the asking. But that got me thinking the handwriting is on the wall. If I have to start paying for this stuff, what are you folks paying?

Boolit Man
    $10.00 for a 5 gallon bucket.

In Remembrance

$20 for the last 5 gallon bucket I got here in Maine. That was when lead was almost gold at the scrap metal dealer.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy

I just called around to some local tire shops, and the only one that had a 5 gallon bucket full wanted $30. I told him to keep it. Another shop sold me half a bucket for $5. He said the scrap yard pays him $7 for a full bucket.

You don't ever pay for the lead. You pay for the trash, tire stems, and cigarette butts.

Boolit Master
    They can get about $50.00 for that 5 gallon bucket at a metal recycling center.
    Just try to buy it from the recycler. Maybe $35.00 don't look so bad then.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    You don't ever pay for the lead. You pay for the trash, tire stems, and cigarette butts.
    Don't forget the Chaws. EHYAAAUUCK!!
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Just paid #30.00 today in Middle GA. The problem here is the racers. They use the WW to counterbalance the dirt track race cars, but regular and go-carts. BUT I got a free 5 gal last week, so it comes out to $15.00 right now. Still looking for more... but FREE

harrya

Boolit Master
    Just keep reality in mind! The more you pay now the faster it will go up in price. Recyclers don't pay for all the **** that someone off the street is paying. They are not stupid, at least most.

Boolit Master
    A recycler that I found in Ft. Worth knows what he can get from the foundry and will sell to individuals at the same price. He pays fair prices when he buys because he wants everything he can get.
    Simple rule. 15% of a lot is more than 30% of not much.
    Of course there are sheisters out there that rely on ignorance in general to try to get higher profits, but they make less money overall. So serves them right.

In an industrialized area with competition, they have to be competitive to stay in business.
    I used to sell scrap in Odessa TX where there was only 1 scrapyard and they paid about 1/2 of what I could get by taking it to Fort Worth.

I'm happy for any and all that can get free WWs. I would say "Don't count on it though"
    Hey, when the gittin is good, git all you can.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    They can get about $50.00 for that 5 gallon bucket at a metal recycling center.
    Just try to buy it from the recycler. Maybe $35.00 don't look so bad then.
    Yep, I was getting them for free or $20 for 100#+. Now the guy sells to a guy for $60! Too rich for my blood, especially since there is only about 65% useable metal now days. At $10/5ga. I woul dbe buying every one I could get my hands one.

Boolit Master
    The two tire shops in my town wanted $50 / 5 gal bucket last summer. I walked away. I haven't checked with them since.
    NRA life member

LB

I just got a half bucket free, and have a full bucket waiting for me to pick up next week. Then I sacked into an isotope supplier, and I don't foresee a personal lead shortage any time in the near future.

Boolit Master

There seems to be a regional thing here. Around here (Western Oregon) I can't seem to find much for WW's at any price. I finally found a bucket full for $40, and was glad to get it. If I could find some for $30/bucket, I would buy a bunch.

If you can find them locally for free or cheap, more power to you, but not everyone can. It could be too, that there are a lot of casters around here that get all they can. I don't know how many times I've heard "we've got a guy...".

I can't help but think that a big part of the reason I can't find any WWs is some of you all who take beer and pizza down to every tire shop in town on a regular basis, and have 50,000 pounds stacked in your garages.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    There seems to be a regional thing here. Around here (Western Oregon)

I don't know how many times I've heard "we've got a guy...".
    I've hear the same thing a bunch. And many times it's the same guy. So and so been coming here for 30 yrs getting out WW. He's about 75 and a real nice guy!

I figure at this point he must sell cast bullets to supplement his SS check.

Even at that, I have been able to get about 500lbs of WW in a few days. Only paid twice. One $10 bucket and one $20 bucket that was truck WW and the guy went through it before I got there and got all the trash and lug nuts and stuff out of it. So it is all good WW, clip on and large weights.

I just started and figured before I buy a bunch of equipment would see if I could collect enough lead to make it worth the trouble. I have enough to smelt into ingots I guess.
    Μολὼν λαβέ!

Boolit Buddy
    I have found only one place that wants $40 per bucket, but I pay it because they always have a full 5 gallon bucket and the cheaper places don't always have any when I stop in. Most places charge me $20 to $25 and some here and there have given me a few buckets free, usually a 1/2 bucket at a time.

Local scrap place. $.25/lb for any lead weather its WW, pure or lyno.

I just bought anoyther bucket full for $0.10/lb rounded up to the neares dollar. This batch was from a new guy and has a lot of truck weights up to 10oz so there should be less waste.
    They can take my guns when they get past my IED's.

Boolit Buddy
    i pay $20/5gal pail. even if they say less than that i give them a $20. Kinda ruins it for the next guy trying to get it again for the $10 he used to pay. Because of this i have about 6 shops that i have locked up (until someone offers them more)

Got the ones I bought today sorted. Not bad. Lots of 2,4,6oz and a few bigger. Those 10oz are like an ingot with a clip. Steel, Zinc and Trash didn't add up to more than 2lb.

I found a 5oz Zn marked weight. That thing would be a melt ruiner. I kind of feel like I should get it mounted or something. I never caught one that big before.
    They can take my guns when they get past my IED's.