Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder comparison tables?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Felix, I think Accurate Arms is making a version of 630
    Yes I believe No 7 and No 9, depending on whether you want to believe Felix saying the old WW 630 being inbetween Bluedot and 2400. According to the chart I posted it shows WW 630 and 630P as being slightly faster then Bluedot. So in that respect No 7 would be the closest.

Joe

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Joe, that chart would NOT indicate a proper placement of 630 in straight wall pistol cases. WithIn small bore rifle cases, like the 222, the 630 speed approaches that of BlueDot , still being about a half grain slower. This is a good reason to have multiple charts when doing research. Powder transient speeds can change dramatically with neck angle and bore diameter. Glad to see that table, Joe. ... felix
    felix

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Joe, that chart would NOT indicate a proper placement of 630 in straight wall pistol cases. WithIn small bore rifle cases, like the 222, the 630 speed approaches that of BlueDot , still being about a half grain slower. This is a good reason to have multiple charts when doing research. Powder transient speeds can change dramatically with neck angle and bore diameter. Glad to see that table, Joe. ... felix
    Kinda goes back to the idea Jim and I were batting back and forth. Powders are application sensitive so we'd need a burn rate chart per cartridge if you really wanted them to be 100% correct.
    Last edited by wiljen; 02-02-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Banned
    Felix,

I agree with Wiljen. It depends on the application that the powder is used in. With having said that I believe the 630 powder was marketed at the pistol crowd.

Yeah I wanted a chart that showed surplus powders and found the one I posted. I like to check a multitude of charts to get an average of burning rates. I understand also that these charts couldn't possibly give a rate for every different application.

Joe

You guys are way over my head when it comes to a breakdown and analysis of modern powders.

For me, this discussion makes a perfect case for finding powers I like for all the calibers I use, then buying quantities of the same lot that will last me at least two decades or more.

I still have large quantities of the old 2400, 630, H4831, H4895, and IMR4350 lots I've used for almost 30 years. I'm down to 3 pounds of the same lot of old Norma MRP. MRP is the very best I've found for my No.1 26" BBL 270 and I have yet to find a modern powder to replicate its accuracy or velocity. RL22 is supposed to be the identical product but from my experience it isn't even close with comparable bullet/powder/primer/case combinations when tested at the range.

Trying to keep up with all the lot changes and company mergers, sometimes appearing to create new "formulas" for the same named product drives me nuts! It seems every time I have a favorite junk food or powder it soon becomes discontinued or "slightly modified" in a way that I find not useful.

I have never had powder or primers that were kept in a controlled environment for well over thirty years fail me or not perform as well as the day I purchased them. Maybe it's time to throw out all the old burn rate data and start over. With modern advancements in technology that enables mfgs to evaluate powder and its performance more precisely, that could eliminate much of the current confusion and frustration.

I think the best policy is to encourage new hand-loading shooters and hunters to buy all the powder they can afford of their favorites from one lot. Seems to me that's the only way we're going to find true and reasonable consistency with powders.... and now I'm hearing there may be some ignition inconsistencies with some new primers!!! Geesh!!

JMHO and 2c....
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Moderator Emeritus

TDC, look at Ramshot Hunter or Vihta N550 in your 270. Either should be capable of near the old MRP numbers.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Felix, I think Accurate Arms is making a version of 630
    Your Right. Accurate 1680 is supposed to be very close.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    Your Right. Accurate 1680 is supposed to be very close.
    AA 1680 is actually a very close copy of Winchester 680 not 630. Don't use 630 with 1680 data or you will have a major problem. 630 is much closer to AA7 than AA1680.

Boolit Mold
    I have a couple pounds of 630, which I used back in the seventies. A guy gave it to me and it looks and smells okay.

The powder is more modern than the 70's vintage, but, I just loaded some starting loads for the 44 mag using 16 and 17 grains of 630 behind a 232 boolit and then I did a couple 265 boolits @ 17 grains for my SBH.

Sooo, with the remote possibility of SEE mentioned above should I pull these loads?

As I said I used a bunch of this 630 powder back in the seventies.

Moderator Emeritus

as long as the powder has not deteriorated, I see no reason why loads that were safe then would not be now. I'd work up to my listed data again as the powder is likely more dry now than it was then as it has lost moisture over the years, but my guess would be it is still within a grain of where it was then.

Boolit Mold

Powder comparison tables

wiljen,
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I should slow down when posting as when I went back and re-read what I wrote it can be misinterpreted.

The 630 powder (that was given to me by a reliable reloader) is probably 15 yrs.to 20 old, not 35. I do have some red dot that is about 35 yrs, old and although it is a little smokey going off, it is just fine.I'm trying to use all this old stuff up.

If you read the way I wrote about the 630 , it sounds like it is 35 years old. Whatever. I'll be trying them out this week, hopefully. It is a shame to load good, but obsolete powder into my developer loads, as if I hit a sweet spot, I may not be able to duplicate. BUT, Waste not want not.

But then again they are "go to the range and plink loads, not Camp Perry competition loads. The boolits are rcbs 44-250 which weigh in at 265.

Also some rcbs 44-225 which have had a group of variations done to them (hp) so I want to chrono the bunch and water jug test a few.

P.S. Thanks for the reloaders reference. Rich

one of my concerns is the use/misuse of the numbering system.

on occasion folks mention #7... Which one? RL7? RX7? AA7?

there are other duplicates. I'd like to see a table explaining each number, manufactureer. Then I can compare them to the table of same powder/different sellers. (like H414 W760)

I get very confused sometimes, as we have so many out there.

Boolit Master

I have the first can of powder I BOUGHT IN 1971 (HERCO) I did not care for it in 20 ga and used green dot instead. it is still good today. There were two 630 powders if I remember correctly sometimes one is called 630-P I used it in 38 special loads in the 70's.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Moderator Emeritus

I just stumbled onto this thread...and it's in the TEST section ???
    it is a great source of burn rate charts.

I nominate this for 'sticky' status in the 'Canister & Surplus Powder' section.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Cast Boolits Owner

Moved!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Bub
    Hey folks,

It seems like there are some who know about pulldown powder here! I have a keg each of WC 846 and Accurate "Data 2200" powders. Does anyone know what they roughly equate to?

Thank you,

Mike

Boolit Master

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Mold
    I cannot find Red Dot. Is there a equivalent load to the 13gr. Red Dot .30-06 load? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by riverboat View Post
    I cannot find Red Dot. Is there a equivalent load to the 13gr. Red Dot .30-06 load? Thanks in advance.
    C.E. Harris also recommended 16 gr. Alliant (nee Hercules) 2400.
    Last edited by Maven; 01-13-2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling error

Boolit Buddy

I found this link (from a powder maker) rather interesting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast