MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Savage Tenite stock search

Boolit Master

Savage Tenite stock search

I have a friend who's kid inherited gramps shotgun and they brought it over to have me look it over clean it and see its ok to shoot.
    Its a Savage 94B 12ga single shot marked "Shapleighs King Nitro" and has a plastic "Tenite" stock and forearm. I quickly noticed the stock smelled bad musty or something it had a lace on leather pad on it and when I took it off the stock was white with I'm guessing mold so I removed stock and soaked it in some water and cleaner and it turned out pretty good but saw the top of butt plate is kinda crumbly. Otherwise stock actually looks nice and fore arm is excellent except for some scratches. I searched on the net including GunParts and they have a tenite forearm but not stock and their wood replacement stocks are $70 and speaking with my friend they want to keep gun original if possible. Buut looks as if its probably glued in place. If I cant find a replacement I guess I'll try and remove damaged area best I can without harming more and getting the kid a new slip on pad to cover it up.
    Might anyone have one of these clunkers laying around or know of a source for one of these stocks?? Its kind of a cool old gun have no idea how old maybe 40's 50's and it locks up tight and has a very tight choke so should be a good shooter for the kid.
    Any info would be appreciated.

The buttplates are permanently attached to the Tenite buttstocks, and although Tenite stocks are rare, here's one F/S:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=9329487

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Hmmm.... the Savage/Stevens 16 double I have, with Tenite stock, has a detachable buttplate held on with screws just like any other shotgun that uses a drawbolt to attach it to the receiver. Were the 94's held on with tang screws? Still kind of weird that the buttplate is "permatized" to the stock.

Those Tenite stocks were a good idea that just didn't work out. Every one I've handled had lousy balance- way too muzzle heavy. The buttstocks were hollow which made them really light. The only reason I hang onto mine is that my Dad bought it new in 1948.

You might try mixing some epoxy, thicken it with colloidal silica, and tint it brown. Debrade the crumbly area and slather the epoxy on like Bondo. File, sand, polish when cured. Brownells pre-thickened epoxy (Acraglass Gel) tinted brown with the dye packet they enclose will do the same thing. Tint it black to repair a buttplate. On second thought, swirling a little black into the brown epoxy will give it a kind of marble-ized look that may help camouflage the repair.

Boolit Master
    Yep this one is definately glued in. There is a large metal cap in the middle of it which you remove to get at the stock bolt. If I cant find one Ill have to go epoxy acraglass route...maybe even epoxy on a new steel or plastic one and will just get the kid another slip on to hide my butchery

Boolit Master

Don't know what tools you have to work with but you could cut the old butt plate off. Carefully fit a wooden plug INSIDE the butt stock. Plug should fit tight so it can be epoxy/glued in place. A center hole should be bored for removal of bolt. A nice recoil pad could then be fitted and screwed to the wooden plug.

Larry

Boolit Master
    Well, I cut the buttplate off usin saw and then exacto to get just the white plastic removed which was the butt, stock is dark brown. I'm thinking of fitting two pieces of wood one at top and one at bottom and gluing them in with maybe acraglass or some bedding compound. I'll probably use some wood that is fairly long so it goes into stock for added weight and strentgh? Using two seperate pieces they could be longer and leave middle open to access stock bolt. Then rather than a slip on pad I'll put a nicer one one. I'm probably putting way too much thought and time into this but oh well.

Perma-Banned
    the kid will appreciate it.

I wish you the best of luck with that, since AFAIK epoxies won't adhere to most plastics - the reason synthetic stock get aluminum bedding blocks ILO glass bedding.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Yeah I was wondering what to use to "glue" in the wood butt into the plastic stock......any suggestions