RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Tumblers for cleaning BP cases

Boolit Buddy

Recommend Tumblers for cleaning BP cases

What brand & model tumbler do you recommend for cleaning BP brass? I shoot approx 500 rounds/year so don't need a production or Cadillac model - just something that will work with water & ceramic media. Looking for response from those with actual experience.

Thumbler tumbler. Or, the Cadillac model, RCBS Sidewinder. Both work equally well. One is easier to use.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    I bought my Thumler's Tumbler used and use it to clean black powder shells with ceramic media. Very nice, reliable and, especially, quiet. Four hours or so of tumbling leaves the brass bright without giving it the worn, overpolished look that dry media and abrasives do. It even cleans out the primer pockets, and doesn't get stuck in them.

I've used it for .45-2.6", .45-2.1", .40-90 and .32-40. I should really use the smaller ceramic beads on the .32-40 as the larger beads sometimes have to be poked with a wire to get them out of the shell, but it's not too much trouble. I have a lifetime supply of the larger ceramic beads and half a life's worth of the cleaner that I bought from Steve Rhoades. The same treatment with the same stuff is also good for much-fired, grungy, brownish-yellow smokeless brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Which model of Thumbler's Tumblers are you guys using?

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I am using my Hornady Vibratory case cleaner. I bought it for pistol cases in 1994 and it has just kept going. Takes longer than the Thumbler with ceramic media, and it don't do nearly as nice a job, but it does it good enough that there is no fouling left inside the case and the outside is shiney. More than once I have left the cases in overnight and the following day, it just made them look more shiney. I saw in a recent gun mag that Hornady are bringing out an ultrasonic case cleaner. I might look into one of them, but I will have to wait for the one I have to cark it before I can justify a new case cleaner with the Minister of War and Finance.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by HPT View Post
    Which model of Thumbler's Tumblers are you guys using?
    The Thumler's tumbler that 'everybody' uses is the 15-pound Model B. But Thumler's also makes a 12-pounder that should do just as well...for a few bucks less. It's the AR12.

Lortone makes a line of high quality tumblers, too.
    Their biggest is the 12-pound QT-12, while the QT-6 has a drum of the same diameter...but only half as deep.
    It's the diameter of the drum that determines 'how far' the brass travels in a given amount of time. And it's the 'distance traveled' that determines how much cleaning happens.

Lortone's QT-66 has two half-depth drums which allow you to run ceramic in one with (say) walnut in the other...both at the same time. If you need to run big loads, the 12-pound drum fits in the QT-66 frame.

Lortone also makes the 45C, which is rated at 4-pounds, but it still has a drum diameter big enough to be useful for cleaning brass.

I use a (secondhand from eBay) QT-12, and I have two barrels for it. I clean in ceramic first, then tumble in walnut to 'dry' those cases without possibility of 'water spotting'.

There are lots of options, and Cadillac is not the only 'good car' on the road.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have two Thumlers tumblers a model B that I use wet and a very old one that I use dry.

I use the dry one for all my case cleaning not just black powder cases, had it many years and I am very happy with Thumlers produsts. If I was ever to get a vibratory cleaner it would be one of theirs.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. Think I'll keep an eye on E-bay and see what pops up.

Boolit Master

I didn't want to pay for the Thumler's and ceramic when I first got into black powder. I scrubbed the brass with Dawn and test tube brushes and then dried them and put them in walnut and polish for hours. They never were actually clean after all of that.

Eventually I gave in and ordered a high speed Thumler's model B and ceramic and compound from Buffalo. Now that I've used that I can't imagine living without it.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using my Lyman vibratory with 3mm ceramicballs and water for years. I use the small basket with the solid top to run the ceramic media.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have an older M10 Hornady tumbler. I went to buy another one. So I could clean more at once.

Well todays Hornady tumbler is Chinese made hunk of junk compared to the older one. I didnt buy a new one, and am still using the older one.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    the Thumblers tumbler model B is the one i have. It makes very short work of BPCR cartridge cleaning. I also wet clean my .44mag stuff with the same ceramic. For smaller case you can just fill your Tumbler with corn cob media and it will do everything a vibrating tumbler will do. they are very heavy duty and versatile.

I use a ultersonic cleaner from harbor freight. w/ degreaser and water. works great. I also have a tumbler. But found the sonic cleaner works better for BP.

Boolit Buddy
    59 Sharps,

Very interesting, so here's a bunch of questions:

What model of ultrasonic cleaner do you use?
    What do you use as a degreaser?
    How many cases can you put in at a time?
    How long does it take?
    How clean do your cases get?
    Do you still need to tumble them to get them shiny?

Any Pics of cleaner & cleaned brass?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The Thumblers Tumbler Mdl B High Speed motor model with ceramic and a squirt of Dawn with Oxy will clean your cases inside and out to a like new condition with no pics needed for proof.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

In Remembrance
    I also have an ultrasonic cleaner, purchased for cleaning cases.
    I thought it would eliminate the need for tumblers (of all types), and be useful for other things, as well.

It does a good job on jewelry, but I'm not as pleased with how it does with cases.

It does get them clean...but they still tarnish. After each cleaning they are a bit darker...on their way to brown.
    Clean 'antique brown' may be as accurate as clean 'golden yellow', but it isn't as satisfying to look at.
    Also, the brown color is not very helpful when it comes to trying to anneal the case.

What an ultrasonic cleaner really shines at is cleaning bullet moulds.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

CM has "nailed it". I also have used both the Thumler's model B and a large ultrasonic cleaner. For brass I prefer the Thumler's. For cleaning everything else: gun parts, moulds, reloading dies, glasses, wife's jewelry (helped justify the cost ;>)), etc., the ultrasonic shines.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

59 Sharps,

Very interesting, so here's a bunch of questions:

What model of ultrasonic cleaner do you use?
    What do you use as a degreaser?
    How many cases can you put in at a time?
    How long does it take?
    How clean do your cases get?
    Do you still need to tumble them to get them shiny?

Any Pics of cleaner & cleaned brass?
    Not home right now So I do not have all the info. It was from harbour freight something like $50. I do 50 44-40 cases at a time. If I had to do it again I would buy a bigger one w/ a longer cycle, the one I have only runs for 4 min then you have to reset it. I run it 4 time then change the water and do it again. Case come out clean on the inside. case do not come out bright of course but are clean.
    Right now I'm using a comercial degrease. that I got as a sample. Ive also use degreasers off the shelf they seam to work fine. of course they do not come out bright. I do not put polish in my tumbler so when i tumble they do not come out shinny.
    I have tumbled and as a test put them in the sonic cleaner after. was suprised how much more came out of the case.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone use the methods described here to clean BP cases?

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Boolit Master

Anyone use the methods described here to clean BP cases?

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
    VERY interesting!!!!