RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 458 Lott

I have a long experience of reduced cast bullet loads with a 375H&H by CZ, (With Calfornia stock)I bought used in 1975,And a brief flirt with a face punching 458W CZ with the masochist's German Boar Hump stock.
    I have even got two rugers 77 ,one in 416 rigby and one in 458 Lott.
    They all shoot well with NO hangfires using Rem magnum primers and Winchester Large Rifle primer,igniting slow shotgun Italian powders,similar to your Unique and the slowest Rex powder,numberIII,the one we call GREEN in Italy.
    With different powders i.e. 4227 and ancient RKK 19 I had to use kapok to avoid double bang firing.
    These methods are not invented by me,I follow Ed Harris advices,use easily ignited powders ,the previously listed primers and no fillers and tame the big boomers.
    I agree with BruceB that it is not a good practice to reduce the charges of progressive full load powders

Boolit Mold
    I bought a Ruger #1 in the 458 Lott, Funnist rifle I'v ever owned dont let people scare you off with the recoil. With the heaver barrel it isent any worse than my Ruger #3 in the 45-70. My lott are factory loads not redused loads with 500 gr.

Boolit Mold

458 Lott

The 458 lott was a bit scary the first shot because I think I read so much about it. But one shot later it was not that bad. Im not a big guy and the recoil was only about as much as a 10ga. slug or a little more. I love shooting it, and shoot it when I can but can't afford to shoot much more. Im thinking about reloading but that doesnt seem that cheap either. By the time I buy a press and buy a set of dies and a few pounds of powder the brass, primmers and the bullets am I really that far ahead?

Boolit Master

One good thing about the boomers, very seldom is the bore shot out.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Mold

458 lott

just got back from the range with ruger no 1 458 lott been trying for weeks to work up accurate load that won't break your shoulder at the bench. i think i have found it 405gr rem sp over 20.0grs of trail boss everything in 6 inch at 100yds open sights.very pleased now on to the tc g2 in 45-70 gotta love those single shots

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rob45 View Post
    I love nearly anything with a 45 bore.

BTW, if you plan on shooting the heavy stuff as a regular part of your shooting regime, then be prepared to spend extra money on stocks, whether it's rebedding or replacing- I cracked two stocks during load development on my Ruger 77.
    Been there done that myself. Last stock cracked was a bell and carlson synthetic. What kind of stocks are you all using that hold up the best? I'm thinking about trying a boyds laminated wood.

Rifle is a 98 mauser with a 26" tube in .458 win mag.

Ebner