Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: piece of garbage

Banned

piece of garbage

Bought a new bullet puller. (hammer style) it is from smart reloader DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF """ 20 rounds of 44 mag and the handle was bent like a pretzle!

Boolit Master

Think a bunch of them are like that. I've had several.

I'm wondering why someone hasn't made some for sale on here. Wooden handles using RCBS shell holders instead of collets. Something that lasts a while./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

IMHO all inertia pullers are a piece of s%#& !
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I've used an inertia style "eraser" for years and I really think most problems can be eliminated by using the right "technique". Swing it in a loose "limp wristed" fashion against a good solid wood surface. Don't try to use it like a regular hammer for driving nails, but rather allow the end of the swing provide the "whack". In other words, let the tool do the work.

O.K.......now that I've insulted you by telling you something that you already knew, what is the handle shaft made of? My old Quenitics is aluminum and about 3/8" across the flats, but I've pulled lots of bullets without problem. Wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer used some sort of soft alloy though.

I think I'd just send it back for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I've used an inertia style "eraser" for years and I really think most problems can be eliminated by using the right "technique". Swing it in a loose "limp wristed" fashion against a good solid wood surface. Don't try to use it like a regular hammer for driving nails, but rather allow the end of the swing provide the "whack". In other words, let the tool do the work.

O.K.......now that I've insulted you by telling you something that you already knew, what is the handle shaft made of? My old Quenitics is aluminum and about 3/8" across the flats, but I've pulled lots of bullets without problem. Wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer used some sort of soft alloy though.

I think I'd just send it back for a refund.
    Same for me. I've been using mine for about 10 years, only thing I've done is put an earplug in the bottom to prevent damage to bullet noses. The description of mine is the same, although I don't remember the brand; bluish-greenish plastic, with aluminum octagonal handle, with a plastic grip. Has to be whacked on something hard, like concrete, to work; hitting wood or the table top doesn't work so well.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    Same for me. I've been using mine for about 10 years, only thing I've done is put an earplug in the bottom to prevent damage to bullet noses. The description of mine is the same, although I don't remember the brand; bluish-greenish plastic, with aluminum octagonal handle, with a plastic grip. Has to be whacked on something hard, like concrete, to work; hitting wood or the table top doesn't work so well.
    ......same for me as well. I've been using the same one for about 20 years with no problem. Guess it depends on the manufacturer.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Quinetics Kinetic Bullet Puller I feel is not only the first but the best one out there. http://quinetics.com/puller.html
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

tossed it the trash. Ill go back to pulling them with a press and a pair of vise grips.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

Bullet puller

on of the best ways is to run the loaded rd into the resizing die the depth of bullet.and then wack it.lot easier.rifle bullets I use hornadies lever puller.
    WILDCATT

Something tells me you could bend a crowbar in a sand box lol. Do not feel too bad though as that has been said about me many times lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

I've used mine for a number of years, purchased from Midway, but sounds like the one others have mentioned with the octagon handle. I use a 6" piece of 4x4 cedar post leftover, and smack the end grain to pull boolits/bullets. The collets are junk though, and I just use the press shell holder for holding the casing...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

I have a special Belgian Block which I kept after I retired. This block was thrown from the top of a 5 story building onto the hood of my car. It managed to penetrate the hood and took out the carburator and caused the car to catch fire.

This huge chunk of granite had come from Europe in the 1800's as ballast in the hold of a ship when many of our great grandparents made the trek to the USA. People being lighter than cargo were not heavy enough to stabilize the ship in heavy seas. Once the human cargo was unloaded the ballast was discarded onto the dock and hauled away. Most of it was used to pave the streets of NYC as needed. Later on as repairs were made to city streets the holes were filled in with asphalt and the blocks again were discarded.

Some of our disgruntled ghetto residents were displeased with the efforts of the NYCPD to keep the peace and that is how I got my block. I was a Sergeant in the NYCPD when the air mailed block hit my car. Neither of us were hurt but only slightly singed as the car caught fire immediately. I lost my attache case and a few other valuables and the NYCPD lost a patrol car.

Now I keep the block in my reloading room as a reminder and it makes a dandy place to hit my inertia puller hammer.

However there is a huge pile of these Belgian Blocks under the Triboro Bridge on Randall's island in the East River. Each one weighs about 40 to 50 pounds and they make dandy edges for drives and such. They are free for the taking.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    IMHO all inertia pullers are a piece of s%#& !
    Monday I pulled 200rnds of 45 acp with the RCBS hammer style and a 2x4 to hit it on. fast and easy the 44Mags I had heavy crimps were 50/50% any more on the hammer may have damaged it.

Be careful when you hit anything but wood. I broke the plastic part that catches the bullet on mine hitting it of the concrete floor. Use a hard wood not soft.

Boolit Master
    Lloyd,

I, too, had a Smart Reloader puller break -- the head seperated from the handle -- less than 3-months after purchase. By the way, the hexagon aluminum handle appeared to be a hollow piece filled with pot metal. The cross-section showed two distinct metals.

A phone call to Midsouth was all that was required to get things squared away. I bought an RCBS, which is of a much better, one piece design, made of high impact plastic. Midsouth sent a pre-paid postage sticker and I returned the broken puller and was issued 100% credit toward the RCBS puller.

Looking in catalogues, it appears that one company makes Smart Reloader, Midway, Lyman and Quinetics pullers.

I use the end-grain of a short piece of 2" X 4".

Boolit Buddy
    I have the RCBS hammer.Ive pulled 100s of rounds mil an my mistakes. Its been used to abuse has't broke. PLUS you can use a shell holder in place of the collet.

Boolit Grand Master

Pulled about 200 rounds last week with my old RCBS hammer puller, as usual by striking the concrete
    floor. I have had to replace the aluminum collet jaws a couple of times over the last 25
    years that I have used it. Midway sells a set of three sizes jaws for some reasonable price, I forget how
    much. Did break a Quinetics about 25 yrs ago, so bought the RCBS as a
    replacement. Works great.

When I had to pull down 1000 rds of .223, I bought the collet puller that goes in the
    press to save the bullets. This batch was "free ammo" thrown in to an AR deal years
    ago, unknown supplier and the cases were not trimmed, VERY dangerously overlength.

Just as an aside, I didn't make ~200 bad rounds but ran across some 20 yr old match
    ammo pulled from competitors for chrono testing that they didn't want back. It was .38
    Super and not a chance in the world that I would drop the hammer on some stranger's
    idea of a major caliber .38 Super round ! I'm not likely to do it even with something that
    is relatively mild like .45 ACP, just don't want to pay for somebody else's mistake.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

It's all in the wrist for sure, letting the handle pivot freely and the head does all the work. There should be very little strain on the handle. (Not saying that yours wasn't soft and unsuitable, though.) Pine is plenty tough as long as you hit the end grain. I use immovable pieces of wood like the exposed end gran of a 2x4 in my work bench. Beating on a piece of loose wood is just an exercise in frustration.

I like my collet puller but it doesn't grip pistol boolits. Got to go to the inertia puller. Haven't tried it on rifle boolits yet.

David

Boolit Grand Master

I use a big chunk of soft lead to pound mine on. More solid than wood but just enough give to keep from breaking the hammer.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with you Lloyd, i prefer the collet (or vise grip) method myself. However there are some boolits that have such a short nose there is nothing to grab onto. That's when I use the hammer puller. Like Ray and some others I use the shell holder to hold onto the case.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast