Boolit Buddy

Lee 40 sw 145 tc jamming help

Load
    40 sw
    Lee 145 grain tc
    Brass mixed
    Win 231 powder
    Oal 1.090

Hello occasionally I am getting jams in my walther ppq pistol with the above load. When it happens it appears that part of the tc bullet rim that extends pass the rim is getting shaved by something on one side. What should I look at to try and make it function correctly?

The same load feeds fine in me glock.

Boolit Master
    I am going to make a WAG( Wild Assed Guess) with only the info you provided, (< IOW, I think there needs to be more info than what is in your OP in order to narrow down the issue) that perhaps there is something wrong with your magazine. Perhaps you dropped the magazine , or let it fall to the ground doing some firing drills, and one of the "lips" of the magazine is bent & shaving the boolit while feeding it and it is also causing the jam due to feeding issues.

Like I said though, a WAG.

A couple of questions that might help folks determine the issue with more info...

1) Do other rounds have the same problem( jam) as just this one boolit in your firearm when cycling, or just this one type of boolit( TC/Tapered cone)?

IOW, have you tried FMJ bullets & does it jam then, or have you tried other types of Cast Lead boolits with a different nose shape/ogive and does it have jam then, and/or show any mark on the other types of cast lead boolits or just the TC type you are mentioning?

2) Does this happen to all of them in the magazine when they feed, or just occasionally, like with the first or last round in the magazine?

IOW, perhaps the follower or spring is contributing to the issue with either all , some or just 1-2 rounds in it.

3) Have you tried using a different magazine or magazines & have the same issue?

4) Have you tried using dummy rounds, cycling/feeding them & checking different OALs to see if the issue goes away?

IOW, maybe different OALs might change how the boolit feeds & help ID the issue. ( Moving to "lengthen" & not shorten the round is what I would mean so you do not reduce space in the case & raise pressures in that small area as it is already a higher pressure round & the 9mm is a small case.)

Of course there might be other pertinent info that will be asked for, but those will at least help narrow down some things.

All of those answers will help folks help you. Some pics of boolit with the mark on it, the magazine lips & follower with & without rounds in it, plus the feed ramp & breech area of the pistol, might be nice as well to help out.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-28-2019 at 02:55 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Is the magazine a double stack or single stack? If it's a double stack which side of the mag does it feed from when the FTF happens? Again this is where dummy's come into play, as JB mentioned. I'd suspect it's a magazine issue BUT without seeing the gun i can only guess myself.

Boolit Master

Does the round make it into the chamber but not go fully into battery? If so, "plunk" test your rounds by disassembling the pistol and dropping the rounds into the chamber.

Boolit Master
    I shoot the lee .40 145 gr SWC out of my PPQ with out any problems, my OAL is 1.115". You might try to seat to a longer OAL if will pass the plunk test. I have shot a variety of bullets through my PPQ all feed with out any jams.

Boolit Grand Master
    A picture or accurate simulation picture of the jam will best help diagnose it. Nonstandard OAL’s are the most frequent cause of jams in handloading

Double stack pistol magazines are single feed.